Dish on the Joy!

GORDONCHICK

1 hour ago, baileycat122 said:

As I posted earlier, I am on the Joy for a 9 day cruise starting 9/25. We have reserved our specialty dining for the two sea days, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki at 5:30 pm. My original thought was to book  relatively early dinners as the sea days were likely to be the nights that Footloose and Elements was presented, and we'd want the earlier show. But now I'm wondering if we'd really have time to catch a 7:00pm show, or if that would make dinner too rushed? What are people's thoughts on that? How early would we have to be in line for a 7:00pm show, assuming we have reservations. Thanks!

I think a 1 1/2 hour window is cutting it close.  If it were me I would want at least a 2 hour window.  Also I don’t think you would be able to control rushing the dinner at Teppanyaki since they prepare it with a bit of a “show” for the whole table and sometimes it goes quicker than other times.  At Teppanyaki, there were times we had to wait until more folks showed up at our table before they would start.   On other ships I’ve been on they usually start letting people in the  theatre about 30 mins before showtime and would give away your seats if you weren’t there 10 minutes before showtime (I believe you can check that policy when you book the shows) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

No problem. As the only outdoor smoking area, and arguably the fastest bar service on the Joy, I spent my share of time at Spice.  🙃 

I agree....although I gave up smoking a long time ago, I don't mind the smell of it. I also like that it's an adult sun deck with a bar and a hot tub. Why pay for the Vibe. LOL

There is a difference between Spice and Vibe.

Because Vibe only sells a limited amount of passes, there is always a lounger and umbrella available. Towels are close by, and no card needed.

The fact that it covers both sides of the ship, and with less people it feels spacious and quiet. Sometimes a larger group will make some noise, but overall, most people are there for sunning or reading.

Waiters take orders and bring drinks.  Small appetizers are occasionally passed.
And to some like myself who have breathing problems,  the lack of smoking is a real plus.

The only drawbacks to Vibe are that it is inconvenient to reach, being that only one elevator goes all the way to deck 19. And being at the top of the ship, it can sometimes be quite windy.

Vibe is definitely an indulgence and one has to consider whether it’s cost is worth it, but for myself, it is a Haven experience without the expense of the Haven.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, trivia addict said:

There is a difference between Spice and Vibe.

Yes, one costs extra, one doesn't. Otherwise, pretty much identical.  As for the smoking, it's a very small area on the port side of the bar. No need to get anywhere near it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

Yes, one costs extra, one doesn't. Otherwise, pretty much identical.  As for the smoking, it's a very small area on the port side of the bar. No need to get anywhere near it.

IMO there is definitely a difference. But what both of us are trying to do is help the OP know the choices available on the Joy. Some will agree with your observation some with mine. Again, the  VIBE is an indulgence and all chose how to spend their money in the way that makes them happy.

But I know we can agree that the Joy is a wonderful ship and that there is plenty options on it to make for a great cruise! 

3 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

But I know we can agree that the Joy is a wonderful ship and that there is plenty options on it to make for a great cruise! 

For sure. We are debating on getting Vibe for our Encore Panama Canal next April. Encore doesn't have Spice.

23 hours ago, baileycat122 said:

As I posted earlier, I am on the Joy for a 9 day cruise starting 9/25. We have reserved our specialty dining for the two sea days, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki at 5:30 pm. My original thought was to book  relatively early dinners as the sea days were likely to be the nights that Footloose and Elements was presented, and we'd want the earlier show. But now I'm wondering if we'd really have time to catch a 7:00pm show, or if that would make dinner too rushed? What are people's thoughts on that? How early would we have to be in line for a 7:00pm show, assuming we have reservations. Thanks!

I tried booking both Footloose and Elements for the 7 PM shows.  We sail on July 1. We have 5:30 PM specialty dining ressies on these days.

We couldn’t book the early stage shows due to our dinner times being too close…. We tried both online and on the phone with our PCC.  He informed us that the times were too close.  Can’t do a 7 PM show with a 5:30 PM dinner ressie.

We’ll try to adjust on board Saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

7 PM show with a 5:30 PM dinner ressie.

Yeah, no way you'll make that. Unless you're one of those people that walk in late, go all the way to the front, and piss off 900 other people.

Don't be that person.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

Guess you have never had a vibe pass

• Like 1

It is often possible to reschedule when on board

We were on the Joy in May and were able to move some reservations around by going in person to the restaurants.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t feel too bad about missing Footloose. It has mixed reviews and when we were on the Joy in February we walked out of it. Didn’t like it at all. 

On 6/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, baileycat122 said:

I'm on the Joy on 9/25 for a similar itinerary as the 9/4 cruise--New England & Canada. I'm really looking forward to hanging out in the Observation Lounge on sea days. I'm also looking forward to sleeping in a bit on those days, so I'm worried that the OL will fill up early and we won't be able to find a spot (traveling with 2 friends). Do you have to get there early to find an open chair in the OL?

I was on the Joy this past February and we found the OL got crowded enough in the afternoon to make it necessary to search for a chair, especially one with a view. But I think it may have been school vacation week, there were quite a few kids on board. Not a problem though. I dont think the OL is a favorite for the young passengers.  They have a small spread of food there that was nice, especially at breakfast when the OL was quieter. Plus the bar. I think Starbucks was there also?

17 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Someone played the piano in the area between the two main dining rooms

I'm aware. And someone played piano in the OL too. 

I was answering specifically about Howl at the Moon. That is 100% not on Joy. 

21 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm aware. And someone played piano in the OL too. 

I was answering specifically about Howl at the Moon. That is 100% not on Joy. 

Howl at the Moon is a highlight on the other ships.  I don't understand why they've never contracted that on the Joy.  It shares the Comedy Club on the other ships and could easily do the same on the Joy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Howl at the Moon is a highlight on the other ships.  I don't understand why they've never contracted that on the Joy.  It shares the Comedy Club on the other ships and could easily do the same on the Joy.

Totally agree! 

My daughter just sailed on Escape for the 2nd time and loved Howl and Choir of Man. 

I missed both on Joy last summer but, as I said earlier, there is a lot of very good entertainment still. 

Quoting brickles1, yes, definitely no Howl at the Moon on Joy. 
The piano player between the two dining rooms is mood music only. Not a show or interactive event. This is something we miss when cruising the Joy.

Never  attended the piano player in the OL. Maybe someone can post what that is like.

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Howl at the Moon is a highlight on the other ships. ... and could easily do the same on the Joy.

But at what cost? That's the thing.  Footloose was not good, at all. What the Joy will replace it with is an unknown at this point.

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

Quoting brickles1, yes, definitely no Howl at the Moon on Joy. 
The piano player between the two dining rooms is mood music only. Not a show or interactive event. This is something we miss when cruising the Joy.

Never  attended the piano player in the OL. Maybe someone can post what that is like.

When I sailed Joy last summer the OL was like a piano bar. 

I believe every night but not sure about that.