Booking San Pedro Hotel Pre-Cruise

laedw

We're cruising on NCL Bliss in March out of Los Angeles and this will be our first time cruising out of Los Angeles. Any information that experienced cruisers can share will be helpful!  We're flying into LAX the day before our cruise and not sure what hotel to book.  NCL had booked us for a night at the Hilton Checkers in Los Angeles and a cruise critic reader informed us that we would be better off staying near LAX airport or in San Pedro.  Is the DoubleTree hotel in San Pedro near the cruise ship terminal?  The website shows that there is no shuttle service from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  Any other recommendations for San Pedro stay?  How far is the cruise terminal from LAX airport?  Need to know so we know what time to book our return flight home.  Thank you in advance.

The general consensus is that it's best to stay in San Pedro if arriving the day before, certainly not at LAX (unless you're arriving at midnight ;o). The only two real options in SP would be the Doubletree Marina and the Crowne Plaza. The DT is a bit far from the pier but is well regarded here on CC. The Crowne Plaza is literally a few minutes walk to the pier.  The CP does have a shuttle to the pier if you can't walk the few hundred yards, not sure about the DT, but in any case, a taxi or Uber is easy. Another alternative is to stay a bit farther away in Long Beach, as SP can be a bit "barren". Long Beach can be a bit more $$$s though.

FWIW, the last few times we've sailed out of SP, we've decided to stay in Torrance, about half way between LAX and SP (we're doing it again in October). Lots more infrastructure (hotels, a giant mall for shopping, restaurants etc) than SP, but that's our personal decision. A shorter cab/Uber ride off the airplane, but a longer ride the next morning to the ship. We just find SP a bit to far off the beaten track.

• Thanks 1

We stayed at the Doubletree in San Pedro in December and then again in March of this year.  It is a few miles to the port and they did have a shuttle.  The shuttle will also take you to other places.  I used it to go to CVS and the we used it to go to a restaurant (22nd St Landing).  There isn't really anything around the hotel but if you are only staying for one night it is fine.

• Thanks 1

We live within an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half from the port, but often when cruising out of San Pedro, we'll stay at a hotel the night before for various reasons.  We have stayed at both the Crown Plaza and the Doubletree.  I recommend either and those are the only two hotels in San Pedro I'd recommend.  Both are nice but have different plusses and minuses.

Hotel policies might change from time to time, but when we've stayed there, both had hotel shuttles. 

The DT shuttle is free to or from the cruise terminal and they will even shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown San Pedro for free (though a tip to the driver is appropriate).  The DT is a little under 3 miles from the cruise terminal.  It is in a very scenic location--at  the small craft marina--but there is little around it in the way of restaurants--other than the 22nd Street Landing (Seafood).

The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro--only about a three-block walk to the cruise terminal.  The CP has a shuttle, but more recently, they started charging $5 pp each way.  If you don't want to walk, you can get an Uber easier and cheaper.  There are several good restaurants within about two blocks of the CP.  If you're only in town for a very short visit and just looking for convenience, you cannot beat the CP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Click on the map link below. It shows LAX to Checkers to the World Cruise Center. You go NORTH from LAX, away from where the cruise port is, and then you cover the same ground the next day, backtracking to the port. Shame on NCL for booking such a thing.

https://goo.gl/maps/A51B4tjMuFRi3HGB7

As to San Pedro, I like the DoubleTree better as a hotel, it is a great setting, but I prefer the location of the Crowne Plaza and the ease of walking to several restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 9:01 AM, laedw said:

We're cruising on NCL Bliss in March out of Los Angeles and this will be our first time cruising out of Los Angeles. Any information that experienced cruisers can share will be helpful!  We're flying into LAX the day before our cruise and not sure what hotel to book.  NCL had booked us for a night at the Hilton Checkers in Los Angeles and a cruise critic reader informed us that we would be better off staying near LAX airport or in San Pedro.  Is the DoubleTree hotel in San Pedro near the cruise ship terminal?  The website shows that there is no shuttle service from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  Any other recommendations for San Pedro stay?  How far is the cruise terminal from LAX airport?  Need to know so we know what time to book our return flight home.  Thank you in advance.

There is free shuttle from hotel to cruise port. We just did this in April. They also will shuttle you around a 5 mile area to store or restaurants for free. This is for the Double tree in San Pedro. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:52 AM, scottca075 said:

Click on the map link below. It shows LAX to Checkers to the World Cruise Center. You go NORTH from LAX, away from where the cruise port is, and then you cover the same ground the next day, backtracking to the port. Shame on NCL for booking such a thing.

https://goo.gl/maps/A51B4tjMuFRi3HGB7

As to San Pedro, I like the DoubleTree better as a hotel, it is a great setting, but I prefer the location of the Crowne Plaza and the ease of walking to several restaurants.

Is the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel the hotel you're referencing?  

18 minutes ago, laedw said:

Is the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel the hotel you're referencing?  

YES.

This hotel:

https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/san-pedro/laxpv/hoteldetail

Located about three blocks from the cruise terminal.  Several good restaurant choices within about a two block radius.

Along with the Doubletree in San Pedro (a little more tranquil location but a little more out-of-the-way), the only two hotels in San Pedro I'd recommend.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

YES.

This hotel:

https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/san-pedro/laxpv/hoteldetail

Located about three blocks from the cruise terminal.  Several good restaurant choices within about a two block radius.

Along with the Doubletree in San Pedro (a little ore tranquil location but a ittle more out-of-the-way), the only two hotels in San Pedro I'd recommend.

Thank you again.  

Doubletree gets my vote.  We got a very large room, nice check-in staff (free hot chocolate chips cookies), good dining in hotel and free shuttle to the pier.  Ver scenic area with the marina. Highly recommended.

It was mentioned that the Crowne Plaza is only 3 blocks away from the cruise terminal. Is that easy walking with luggage?  I’m mainly inquiring if we can roll the luggage or will we need to carry it (if the walk surface wasn’t the best for rolling).  We are staying there for the first time next April. 

31 minutes ago, MEacret said:

It was mentioned that the Crowne Plaza is only 3 blocks away from the cruise terminal. Is that easy walking with luggage?  I’m mainly inquiring if we can roll the luggage or will we need to carry it (if the walk surface wasn’t the best for rolling).  We are staying there for the first time next April. 

I've done it...so it can't be too difficult...But, being lazy, I've taken the shuttle as well...

It's flat...all sidewalks...You go about a block East from the CP to Harbor Blvd. (The only major street you have to cross)...Cross Harbor Blvd. and just follow the walkway past the USS Iowa and to either Berth 92 or 93, depending on which berth your ship is at.

image.png.704346bb16cdb367f9e7d936a0b9beea.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:19 PM, MEacret said:

Piece of cake, 10 minutes tops walking to the cruise terminal.

• Like 1