Viking Cocktail/White Lady

deec

If anyone is currently in a Viking Bar, please ask one of the wonderful bartenders for THEIR recipe for a White Lady.   Missing being on a ship I bought a bottle of Highclere Gin and need the perfect recipe.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, deec said:

If anyone is currently in a Viking Bar, please ask one of the wonderful bartenders for THEIR recipe for a White Lady.   Missing being on a ship I bought a bottle of Highclere Gin and need the perfect recipe.

Will be interesting if they include the egg white and if they do a double shake, 1st wet, strain back and shake again dry (without ice). I feel it is a proper shake that makes the drink. 

I don't think they used egg whites when I had them.  I would have worried about the raw egg thing!  I will remember a double shake. Does that include most shaken cocktails like Cosmo's or Part 'n Parcels?

26 minutes ago, deec said:

I don't think they used egg whites when I had them.  I would have worried about the raw egg thing!  I will remember a double shake. Does that include most shaken cocktails like Cosmo's or Part 'n Parcels?

The double shake is really only necessary with the egg whites. I believe the original recipe didn't include egg whites so Viking is serving up an OG cocktail 😋 

• Like 1

I ordered this drink all the time on the recent world cruise and they made it for us at a mixology class.  It is 40ml of gin, 20ml of Cointreau and 20ml of sweet & sour.  Place in a shaker full of ice, shake well and strain into a martini glass.  Add a piece of lemon peel.  That's it.  Have made them at home and it's pretty spot on.  They never used egg whites although I asked for one at a very nice restaurant the other night and they added the egg whites.  It added a nice touch.

flowsue.    thank you so very much!  Will be on a River Ship in the fall and it will no doubt be my first drink!

Edited by deec
  • Like 1

We will be taking our first Viking Ocean Cruise in December through the Panama Canal. We previously did a Viking River cruise, Amasterdam to Budapest in May of last year which was our third attempt at a cruise we had booked and paid in full for back in November of 2018, which was cancelled  by Viking many times without an offer of a refund.

We paid for the beverage package, and they didn't include it on our first day onboard when we booked it. A bottle of cheap wine was provided to us on the first afternoon, and we paid 60 dollars for it, despite paying for the beverage package that day. We were in a Veranda Suite and had the same bottle of wine in our refrig everyday that was included.

There was no drink menu provided at the bar, and there was no bar tender that could recreate any simpl;e cocktail from one day to the next

.The bar service was extremely dissappointing, We have no reason to expect any more from our next cruise, BUT,  we will be in a really big Explorer suite up front so at least we won't have to squeeze through those narrow hallways on a Viking River Longboat where only 1 average size guest can fit through, even if they turn sideways.

34 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We will be taking our first Viking Ocean Cruise in December through the Panama Canal. We previously did a Viking River cruise, Amasterdam to Budapest in May of last year which was our third attempt at a cruise we had booked and paid in full for back in November of 2018, which was cancelled  by Viking many times without an offer of a refund.

We paid for the beverage package, and they didn't include it on our first day onboard when we booked it. A bottle of cheap wine was provided to us on the first afternoon, and we paid 60 dollars for it, despite paying for the beverage package that day. We were in a Veranda Suite and had the same bottle of wine in our refrig everyday that was included.

There was no drink menu provided at the bar, and there was no bar tender that could recreate any simpl;e cocktail from one day to the next

.The bar service was extremely dissappointing, We have no reason to expect any more from our next cruise, BUT,  we will be in a really big Explorer suite up front so at least we won't have to squeeze through those narrow hallways on a Viking River Longboat where only 1 average size guest can fit through, even if they turn sideways.

Intriguing post. I'm curious as to why, given your negative experience with Viking River, you would choose to sail with the same company, let alone invest in the second-most expensive accommodation  on Viking Ocean? Many pax would have sought out a different company in hopes of finding a more satisfying cruise. 🍺🥌

22 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Intriguing post. I'm curious as to why, given your negative experience with Viking River, you would choose to sail with the same company, let alone invest in the second-most expensive accommodation  on Viking Ocean? Many pax would have sought out a different company in hopes of finding a more satisfying cruise. 🍺🥌

Our experience wasn't entirely negative on Viking River. The service was very good, the food was very good, as were the excursions. We didn't like the narrow river boat. Masks were still required last May, as were daily Covid testing for our first 5 days, and the corridors on the Viking Longship was too narrow for comfort at the time. We're hoping that the bigger ocean ship, and the larger cabin, along with more dining options will work for us. We also don't need to rely on Viking airfare, which we had problems with on our Viking River cruise. We've been wanting to do a Panama Canal cruise, and we hope this works for us.

Compared to cruising on Regent or Silversea, the price of the larger cabin on Viking Ocean for a Panama Canal cruise seemed quite reasonable.

• Thanks 1

I have taken two Viking river cruises and never found the hallways narrow.  Did I just not notice?? I am not a big drinker so I never purchase the beverage package and have found the included wines (especially the white) quite adequate.  The cabins were quite comfy also for my sister and myself so I had no problems there either.  These are the only river cruises I have ever been on, so can't compare them with anything else.  Maybe if I had been on other cruise lines river cruises, I would notice extreme differences.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my river cruises and ocean cruises on Viking.  Of course, it could be that I am just so happy to be sailing and seeing places I have never seen that I don't notice minor inconveniences.   If you see me on a Viking cruise, (one coming up on July 15) I will have a big smile on my face from the time I embark until I have to leave.  Happy sailing to all.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, Camden lady said:

I have taken two Viking river cruises and never found the hallways narrow.  Did I just not notice?? I am not a big drinker so I never purchase the beverage package and have found the included wines (especially the white) quite adequate.  The cabins were quite comfy also for my sister and myself so I had no problems there either.  These are the only river cruises I have ever been on, so can't compare them with anything else.  Maybe if I had been on other cruise lines river cruises, I would notice extreme differences.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my river cruises and ocean cruises on Viking.  Of course, it could be that I am just so happy to be sailing and seeing places I have never seen that I don't notice minor inconveniences.   If you see me on a Viking cruise, (one coming up on July 15) I will have a big smile on my face from the time I embark until I have to leave.  Happy sailing to all.

There were definitely guests onboard our Viking River Cruise who we could not pass in the hallway without making passing arrangements to pull into doorways. We are not obese, but quite a few other guests were. This was on the upper deck of cabins. We didn't go through the hallways of the 2 decks of cabins lower than ours.

We're not beer drinkers, although we tried some on excursions, but the wines served with lunch and dinner were mostly good, and we had very good food at all meals. We enjoyed most of the included excursions, and the overall nice atmosphere onboard with some music and entertainment that we enjoyed early in the evening. We met many couples that we enjoyed spending time with on our cruise.

But, we still don't like the layout of the River Cruise boat, and hope our Viking Ocean cruise will meet our expectations.