Cruise care and how it works to cancel a cruise

Water709

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of having to cancel a cruise less than two weeks before sailing?  My husband and I purchased CruiseCare when we booked and paid for our cruise which is sailing two weeks from today.  Unfortunately unexpected circumstances have come up which will require us to cancel this trip.  We understand that cash refunds are only provided for specific medical and other catastrophic reasons, which do not apply in this case.  The CruiseCare contract says that if a passenger cancels a cruise anytime up to departure date, they will be given 90% future cruise credit to use on another cruise in the following 12 months.  Has anyone here had to do this, and what was the procedure like?  How soon did you get the future cruise credits applied to your account?  What is subtracted from the 90% refund amount?  Obviously the CruiseCare cost is probably not refunded, but what about taxes, fees, port charges?  We are going to have to cancel this trip in the next couple of days, so we would like to know the answers to these questions BEFORE we call to cancel, if possible.  We did not use a TA, but booked the trip online thru the Celebrity site.  We have sailed on Celebrity several times and will have no trouble finding another cruise to use our future cruise credits for.  Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.  Please don't bash us for having to make this decision; the family situation presently could not be helped.

Edited by Water709
forgot to add something

You will get the port fees and taxes back as a refund to your credit card. If you purchased any diing packages, excursions, beverage packages, etc they will also be refunded. No refund for the cruise care insurance. If you booked with all inclusive I don't know how that would work if you cancel and use the insurance. I thought you would get 90% back as a FCC but @39augustincicated they got the 90% back as a refund to the credit card. You should call Celebrity with your "what if" questions so you know where you stand if you have to cancel.  Best of luck to you and hope everything works out for you.