Holland American Insurance

ebtrip

3 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Exactly. Well worth the cost. Hard to understand why more don't take advantage of this.

I thought someone upthread said the medical insurance was only $100k.  No way would that be enough for me as a Canadian.  I’m speaking of myself only.  I’m pretty sure mine has been at least a million no matter where I’ve gotten it from. 

7 hours ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

B. Covered Losses:

Covered Losses include Trip Cancellations or Trip Interruptions that result from the following:

1. Accidental Bodily Injury or loss of life or Sickness of either the Eligible Traveler, Traveling Companion or a Family Member of the Eligible Traveler or Traveling Companion;
2. Inclement weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from traveling or continuing on a Covered Trip;
3. The Eligible Traveler or his or her spouse’s change in military orders;
4. Terrorist Action or hijacking;
5. Call to jury duty or subpoena by the courts, either of which cannot be postponed or waived;
6. The Eligible Traveler or Traveling Companion’s dwelling made uninhabitable; or
7. Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons.

Up to 10K/trip for trip cancellations and 10K/trip for trip interruptions. Coverage begins the date the trip is purchased to the date the trip ends.

Ah. So no medical, no cancel anytime. Makes for nice basic insurance but definitely needs to be supplemented for the medical at least.

1 hour ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

Should you have a medical emergency while traveling, Platinum Travel Assistance can provide you with medical assistance in consultation with local treating physicians. Medical visits to your hotel can also be arranged, depending on the circumstances and the resources available in each country. This assistance includes the following benefits per trip among others*:

• US$100,000 for emergency medical transportation** 
  • US$250,000 for emergency medical services
  • US$1,000 for emergency dental treatment
  • US$1,000 for prescription expenses

Travel Accident Insurance offers a coverage of up to US$500,000 in case of accidental death or dismemberment while traveling on a Common Carrier Conveyance (plane, train, ship or bus), when the entire fare has been charged to The Platinum Card.

Can you link to this? I have a Plat but I can’t find this on the US card.

12 minutes ago, AllTheSun said:

I would call them. You can call the basic number, or the number for medical insurance for travel, 
800-228-6855. Trip cancellation is covered, but only for a reason, which are the same reasons that the insurance through HAL provides. They don't have cancel for any reason, which is much more expensive using various other policies available. They also have a number to call collect if overseas, although these days we don't really need that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

Today I called to enroll, and they had me do it online, talked me through it. The website is americanexpress.com/travelinsurance

But that page will ask you to sign on, which will take you to your home page, so you could just start from there.

At your home page you can click on the menu lines in the upper left, then you'll see Travel Insurance under "other travel services" at the bottom right. The trick is, at the bottom of that page after entering names and dates, to select "build your own." Then you can choose only the medical coverage, which should be about $64. If you choose a package, you'll get expensive plans.

And @Florida_gal_50is right, the coverage is $100,000 medical, $100,000 evacuation, and $750 dental. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

Should you have a medical emergency while traveling, Platinum Travel Assistance can provide you with medical assistance in consultation with local treating physicians. Medical visits to your hotel can also be arranged, depending on the circumstances and the resources available in each country. This assistance includes the following benefits per trip among others*:

• US$100,000 for emergency medical transportation** 
  • US$250,000 for emergency medical services
  • US$1,000 for emergency dental treatment
  • US$1,000 for prescription expenses

Travel Accident Insurance offers a coverage of up to US$500,000 in case of accidental death or dismemberment while traveling on a Common Carrier Conveyance (plane, train, ship or bus), when the entire fare has been charged to The Platinum Card.

This is awesome!! Beats the heck out of what I was doing!

ETA: uggg! i would have saved like $300 had I realized this a few months ago. Obviously, I need to spend more time around here 😄

Edited by AllTheSun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AllTheSun said:

This is awesome!! Beats the heck out of what I was doing!

ETA: uggg! i would have saved like $300 had I realized this a few months ago. Obviously, I need to spend more time around here 😄

And I didn't mention the benefits already included with the card, so when you sign up for the insurance, you only need to do the medical. Trip Cancellation & interruption, trip delay, lost luggage, loss & damage, cell phone protection.

As I said, I deserve a commission. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Where do you find the cost of HAL's travel protection plan for your cruise?  Does a TA have to ask for the cost or can I personally ask.  In the past I could  to see the cost on my booking, however I can't find that link now.  I have not made final payment.

Thanks

Cost for HAL platinum is roughly 10% of the cruise fare. If you booked flights or a pre or post cruise tour through HAL, they are also covered, but are not considered when calculating the cost of the plan.

With platinum CPP, you can cancel for any reason at all (e.g. illness, work, dog not well, favorite team lost championship- they don’t care) and you get 90% back. 

The best I can find for CAR coverage through other insurance only returns 75% if ANY reason (e.g. decide not to go). If it’s a covered reason, (e.g. illness) 100% (-cost of plan.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Today I called to enroll, and they had me do it online, talked me through it. The website is americanexpress.com/travelinsurance

But that page will ask you to sign on, which will take you to your home page, so you could just start from there.

At your home page you can click on the menu lines in the upper left, then you'll see Travel Insurance under "other travel services" at the bottom right. The trick is, at the bottom of that page after entering names and dates, to select "build your own." Then you can choose only the medical coverage, which should be about $64. If you choose a package, you'll get expensive plans.

And @Florida_gal_50is right, the coverage is $100,000 medical, $100,000 evacuation, and $750 dental. 

Thank you for the step by step.  Much appreciated.  Thankfully my employer provides very good coverage so until I pull the plug on this gig I’m good.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Cost for HAL platinum is roughly 10% of the cruise fare. If you booked flights or a pre or post cruise tour through HAL, they are also covered, but are not considered when calculating the cost of the plan.

With platinum CPP, you can cancel for any reason at all (e.g. illness, work, dog not well, favorite team lost championship- they don’t care) and you get 90% back. 

The best I can find for CAR coverage through other insurance only returns 75% if ANY reason (e.g. decide not to go). If it’s a covered reason, (e.g. illness) 100% (-cost of plan.) 

Thank you.  That gives a ball park figure to work with.  Our credit card covers quite a bit of our cruise but need to check if it is a cancel for any reason.  

As I understand it, the HAL plan is travel protection and not "officially" insurance. The travel insurance plans that are purchased online are insurance and governed by the laws of your state. That's a difference that might be an issue should a claim be filed.

Neal

27 minutes ago, WVU_Neal said:

As I understand it, the HAL plan is travel protection and not "officially" insurance. The travel insurance plans that are purchased online are insurance and governed by the laws of your state. That's a difference that might be an issue should a claim be filed.

Neal

The reason I chose the AmEx card I have is that years ago I heard from someone who had a serious illness overseas, and they covered the cost of treatment where he was and flying him home. Convinced me.

40 minutes ago, WVU_Neal said:

Neal

HAL platinum becomes a real insurance plan when travel begins. So if you have a covered loss, you get to file a claim and work it out with the insurance company. If you cancel before leaving, HAL returns 90% of your money. (Done that one twice.)

• Like 1

I should clarify one thing in my previous comments about AmEx coverage: "trip cancellation" is not "cancel for any reason". Only certain documented reasons are covered, such as medical, family emergency, etc. I found these to be the same as those in the policies by cruise lines, which can also be found online through the companies that are actually underwriting the lines' policies.

Cancel for any reason policies are much more expensive, and I just figure I'll have to have a reason.

27 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I should clarify one thing in my previous comments about AmEx coverage: "trip cancellation" is not "cancel for any reason". Only certain documented reasons are covered, such as medical, family emergency, etc. I found these to be the same as those in the policies by cruise lines, which can also be found online through the companies that are actually underwriting the lines' policies.

Cancel for any reason policies are much more expensive, and I just figure I'll have to have a reason.

It really cover so much though. Not just for the traveler. It’s basically the only reason not covered is if one simply just decides not to go! 

23 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I just looked into this since I have been considering getting a Delta Airlines AMEX card for the free baggage benefit. 

I was able to follow your instructions for a "dummy" booking and it worked just as you describe. 

What was interesting to me was in the FAQ section, it stated that you do not need to be an AMEX cardholder to purchase this insurance. So, unless I am mistaken, getting the HAL Platinum CPP and adding the AMEX medical could be a very good option for folks that don't have (or want) an AMEX card. Can anyone chime in to verify (or shoot down!) my interpretation? 

Thanks all for this thread and the AMEX postings. I probably would never have looked into this without them!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

What was interesting to me was in the FAQ section, it stated that you do not need to be an AMEX cardholder to purchase this insurance. So, unless I am mistaken, getting the HAL Platinum CPP and adding the AMEX medical could be a very good option for folks that don't have (or want) an AMEX card. Can anyone chime in to verify (or shoot down!) my interpretation? 

Ooh, I’d be very interested in that answer, too. I’m not really looking to add a new credit card to my wallet, but if the medical insurance could be purchased outright for a reasonable amount, that might be worth looking into.

2 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

What was interesting to me was in the FAQ section, it stated that you do not need to be an AMEX cardholder to purchase this insurance. So, unless I am mistaken, getting the HAL Platinum CPP and adding the AMEX medical could be a very good option for folks that don't have (or want) an AMEX card. Can anyone chime in to verify (or shoot down!) my interpretation? to this without them!

That's really interesting. I wonder if the price would be the same. Did you get thar far? I don't know the exact answer to this question, but one point with the AmEx platinum is the other automatic coverage at no charge, such as trip cancellation & delay, lost luggage, etc. Other cards have that also, of course, I just don't know which ones.

AmEx also pays for a few other things, such as a certain amount for purchases on flights, Clear, etc.

I've gotta stop promoting them. I'm actually irritated at them for some stuff lately!

20 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

That's really interesting. I wonder if the price would be the same. Did you get thar far? I don't know the exact answer to this question, but one point with the AmEx platinum is the other automatic coverage at no charge, such as trip cancellation & delay, lost luggage, etc. Other cards have that also, of course, I just don't know which ones.

AmEx also pays for a few other things, such as a certain amount for purchases on flights, Clear, etc.

I've gotta stop promoting them. I'm actually irritated at them for some stuff lately!

I did a dummy trip for two: 28 days at $10,000 per person trip cost with ages 69 & 75 and it spit out $64 for the medical coverage cost. I don't recall what the other options cost but I can redo it if you are interested. 

I also checked out the AMEX Canada site. It also has various travel/medical insurance plans but is structured much differently than the US version (not surprising). So our Canadian friends might want to check it out (https://www.insurance.americanexpress.com/ca/travel-insurance/)

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

I did a dummy trip for two: 28 days at $10,000 per person trip cost with ages 69 & 75 and it spit out $64 for the medical coverage cost. I don't recall what the other options cost but I can redo it if you are interested. 

That's good for others, but doesn't do much for my argument about the value of the card!

• Haha 1