Star Drydock PICS !!!

melika091900

Thanks to all who explained about the decals. This is very interesting, and strange to contemplate.

Decals which peel and fade seem like a less than logical choice for a cruise ship embellishment.

Perhaps the effort was a "Let's see how this works" situation.

Live and learn!!

Thanks Again:)

I just got off the last sailing on the Star before going into drydock.

While we were in port in Manzanillo, the crew started removing the artwork, which as we all found out were stickers. They had garbage bags full of what they were pulling off the ship. They continued doing this in the other two ports (PV and Mazatlan) with the majority being removed in Mazatlan. The areas where the stickers were were painted over by the crew, as the white paint under the stickers had faded.

I asked one of the officers on board what they were doing and he told me that they were removing the stickers to prepare for a top-to-bottom repaint, and that the Star was receiving new artwork as well.

Click on the link in my signature to see my photos (the last two show the crew removing the stickers in Puerto Vallarta).

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures of the Star. Really enjoyed them!

Great prics and discussion of the hull art. DW and I certainly hope they have the hull art spruced up (preferably painted vs. decals again) by the end of dry dock. We really like the hull art on NCL ships...seems to lend another degree of excitement for us.

More importantly, we hope they are successful with the azipod repair...looking forward to that being fixed in time for our May 06 sailing. : )

When I posted earlier about seeing the Star cruising into the Bay, I forgot to mention that I kept looking at the ship, trying to decide which one it was. Having just awakened from my morning-commute nap, I thought I was losing it! It sure looked like the Star, and there was the big NCL logo on the smokestack. As we drew closer, I could see the name on the side. However, until everyone began talking about the stars coming off, I didn't realize fully what was missing.

Melika,

:) We'll be on the Star, leaving November 14th for 8 days to Mexico. The itinerary sounds like so much fun! I too can hardly wait! I'll be bringing my service dog on board with us...I'll be the only one with a big black lab by my side! If you see me and I'm sure you will, please stop and introduce yourself! It's our first time on NCL we usually do Celebrity. We're doing Celebrity, Mercury in September. Will I like NCL in comparison to Celebrity? Or, is it a totally different experience?:confused:

Happy Sails to You,

Roz

Melika,

:) We'll be on the Star, leaving November 14th for 8 days to Mexico. The itinerary sounds like so much fun! I too can hardly wait! I'll be bringing my service dog on board with us...I'll be the only one with a big black lab by my side! If you see me and I'm sure you will, please stop and introduce yourself! It's our first time on NCL we usually do Celebrity. We're doing Celebrity, Mercury in September. Will I like NCL in comparison to Celebrity? Or, is it a totally different experience?:confused:

Happy Sails to You,

Roz

Hello... we will definetley look for you.. :) we sailed on mercury in 2003 out of SF...

the differences for me,,, IMO was that celebrity is all about customer service.. they will do anything for you... NCL does to, but nothing compared to the service we received on celebrity..

celebrity is more elegant as far as formal night. they take it very serious and for dinner its all a presentation to them,,

we liked it,, but in general,, we love NCL, celebrity was more of an older crowd for us... we were 24 & DH 26 then, and there was no one our age onboard. and the shows were more not my style. but hey everyone likes different things... and the FREESTYLE dining on NCL is what is really a big + for us. it makes the vacation so relaxing,, not worrying about dressing up or not. and eating whenever we want. especially since we are taking our 5 yr old ( she will be 6 for the cruise ) with us,, so that will make it easier were the type of cruiser, who dont look for ellegance but more for fun and relaxation.. and nice people ..the shows were good.. and the atmosphere was really nice.. but we would go on celebrity again in a heartbeat ,, weve been on carnival before, which we also liked,, but the deals were with NCL sicne we are lattitude members now,, and in Jan when we went , we didnt get to go to acapulco or ixtapa. so this will be 2 new ports for us...

sorry for the long response..

did you join the rollcall for the 11/14 sailing..???????

theres about 3 other people on there..

we will be looking forward to meeting you...

take care and happy cruising

While we were in ports on March 4, 5, 6 the crew were removing the artwork (which to my surprise were stickers!). Apparently the ship is being repainted from top to bottom and getting a new artwork design.

thanks for the great shots .. and isn't that an interesting fact that the 'artwork' is actuallly stickers. I guess that is an indication of what will happen to NY's precious "Dawn" and "our Lady" when she is deployed to Miami :( .

So the first cruise is scheduled for April 2nd? I'm hoping that they can finish early (like they did with the Spirit), so that we might get a SF "cruise to nowhere" out of it. That was fun last time when we got to do that last October. It was a total last minute thing - they opened up the booking 2 weeks prior to sailing.

thanks for the great shots .. and isn't that an interesting fact that the 'artwork' is actuallly stickers. I guess that is an indication of what will happen to NY's precious "Dawn" and "our Lady" when she is deployed to Miami :( .

The Dawn and Jewel do not have giant stickers - All the artwork is painted on the hull. Same thing for PoAm and PoHI

So, is the Star in drydock only for exterior painting, or is anything going on inside as well?

The number one reason or this unplanned dry docking is to fix the damaged Azipod that forced the Ship to change it's itinerary for most of the season.

I did notice the the UFO that normally buzzes the Dawn is visiting the Star this morning

STAR03202006.jpg.92a127fc51b6819cd5bc7808b08a51d0.jpg

I hope that UFO get's back to the east coast by the April 2nd Sailing. I am on it and don't want to have to fight little green men in the buffet line. The "herd mentality" of buffets is bad enough already. I just hate the idea of people waiting in a super long line for one thing....JUST GO UP AND GET IT, don't hold the entire works up! Sorry, just venting...but i DO NOT like UFO's either!

that would be great to see some updated pics...I'm concerned with the progress as I am on the 4/2/06 sailing!!!

How are those Azipod's coming along too? jk, not expecting anyone but perhaps an engineer to know that one.

There should be some painting going on during the dry dock. I also was on the Star the cruise before the drydock and saw the decals of the stars being removed.

I asked my Butler what he would be doing during the drydock and he said that NCL had scheduled him to do some painting.

Getting her all freshened up and ready to sail again in April.

Great pictures !!!! thanks for sharing them.

Marilyn

Archived