Almalfi/Positano views

Cruising next year on Riviera. Stopping at Almalfi/Positano before heading to Rome.

If anyone has sailed this direction before, can you tell me if you get a nice view of the Almalfi from the ship

when it’s anchored? Also has anyone done the 21/2 hr boat ride and visit to St. Andrew? I know there are 60 steps to Cathedral but how is the going from where the boat docks up to the cathedral - very steep? Thank you!

If you want a FABULOUS view of the Amalfi coast, you MUST take a tour up to Ravello. From the gardens and the amphitheater, the view is SPECTACULAR. out first time was with Atre Johnson (Laugh In fame). Anytime we can do a tour in Amalfi, we head up the hill, it never gets old. I only wish that during the Summer Music Festival season that we could overnight there and have a Tour that included a performance, or maybe even a private performance during the day. 🤪👍 That would be on my Bucket List but alas, we have never been able to work it into a trip but I keep saying, Next Time 🙏😇👍

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Guest said:

Cruising next year on Riviera. Stopping at Almalfi/Positano before heading to Rome.

If anyone has sailed this direction before, can you tell me if you get a nice view of the Almalfi from the ship

when it’s anchored? Also has anyone done the 21/2 hr boat ride and visit to St. Andrew? I know there are 60 steps to Cathedral but how is the going from where the boat docks up to the cathedral - very steep? Thank you!

Haven't done St. Andrew but you do get a terrific view of Amalfi (only one "L") from ships anchored there. While Amalfi is built on a hill, you can walk along the street on the lowest level and enjoy shops and views if the hill is too much. 

I used to prefer Positano, but it's become such a zoo that I think I now like Amalfi better!

(The one time I went to Ravello, as luck would have it, most views were obscured due to the foggy day...)

Yes, the views from anchor are fabulous.  The Amalfi Cathedral is more impressive from the exterior but still very worthwhile to take a walk through.

I agree with mauibabes, Ravello is beautiful.  Taxis from Amalfi are $40 to $50 each way depending on how busy they are.  Right off the main square in Ravello is Villa Rufolo.  Definitely walk through the Villa and the terrace gardens, it’s maybe $10 or so and the views are spectacular.  

We spend a week on the Amalfi coast every year.  You can easily go to Ravello and Positano in a day.  The ferry from Amalfi to Positano is only 20 min.  The schedule is at naplesbayferry.com

If you enjoy hiking, The Path of the Gods hike followed by lunch at one of the restaurants overlooking Positano is about as good a day as you can get on the Amalfi coast but honestly, I can think of so many amazing experiences there.  It is otherworldly beautiful so whatever you do, it will be fantastic.  Below is the Ravello view from Villa Rufolo.

IMG_0152.jpeg

• Like 2

Just want to make people aware that there was a fatal accident on the steep and narrow road from Amalfi up to Ravello this spring. Taxis and private transfers are currently charging between 60 and 80 Euros each way for the trip. There's been some recent discussion on Tripadvisor-

"We went up to Ravello from Amalfi in late May via private transfer. We paid 70 Euro each way from hotel to the top. We saw the nasty hairpin turn where the bus went over the edge and, even in a van on the way up, it seemed very tight. There is a fairly significant part of the road up/down (maybe about 2 miles?) where it is one way only so there is a stop light that every 10 minutes switches over so the other side of the road can go either up or down."