Quantum of the Seas and Alaska

I am looking to book this for our Alaska cruise however the size is giving me a bit of anxiety.  For those who have done this how difficult was embarkation / debarkation as well as getting off the ship for excursions.  I have read reviews that it is crazy at these times and so many people also complain about how hard the beds are.

Also how hard was it to get a reservation for the skydiving simulator, bumper cars or the North Star.

We have always done smaller / medium size ships so I am feeling a bit unqualified to make a decision on the mega ships.

Like everything on a full ship, act as early as possible. OR expect to stand in line with hopes of getting a spot.

Bag the reviews, experience it for yourself... have a issue with the hardness, talk to your steward.

Getting off the ship is as easy as walking. Unless for some reason you are ending up with a tender port.

We were on  Ovation last Sep.  On and off the ship was a piece of cake, line moved very fast. We boarded in Seattle, from taxi to cabin was under 30 minutes. Bumper cars had a line when ever it was open, we waited until day two to make Northstar reservations and were not able to get a free or paid reservation.  Quantum is hardly a mega ship, we usually cruise Oasis Class and I thought Ovation was way to small, narrow and confining, a week later we did 10 nights on Quantum. For us, 68 and 72 years old,  those ships are way to small it is a once and done.  Not to bad mouth Quantum but Ovation was a far better cruise experience. Crew on Ovation much happier, food was much better than Quantum. 

38 minutes ago, Abby1234 said:

I am looking to book this for our Alaska cruise however the size is giving me a bit of anxiety.  For those who have done this how difficult was embarkation / debarkation as well as getting off the ship for excursions.  I have read reviews that it is crazy at these times and so many people also complain about how hard the beds are.

Also how hard was it to get a reservation for the skydiving simulator, bumper cars or the North Star.

We have always done smaller / medium size ships so I am feeling a bit unqualified to make a decision on the mega ships.

Getting on and off the ship is a piece of cake unless you are tendering which you shouldn't be.  If the bed is to hard you can ask for a mattress pad or even two.  Mattress hardness is a very subjective opinion.  Getting reservations for iFly isn't hard and neither is it for the Northstar.  Just make sure you nail this stuff down on embarkation day.  Preferably at lunch while you are eating.  It is simple to do on the app.

Bumper cars is first come first serve.  Last year on Ovation I waited for 15 minutes in line before getting on.  That was the first day they were available.  Later on in the week I saw very short lines.  

Don't be afraid of larger ships.  There is tonnes to do onboard and getting to experience it all isn't that hard.

• Like 1

Check the cruise app, I am 80 days out on my Quantum of the Seas cruise to Alaska and I have already been able to North Star and I Fly. This will also be my first cruise on a larger ship, most of my 30 plus cruises have been on Radiance Class ships.

I got off the Quantum a couple weeks ago. The beds were fine, the ship is wonderful.  We walked right off on all the ports but we never lined up ahead waiting for the ship clearance. The crew is amazing. They opened new bookings for the north star the evening before at around 8 pm. The ship was full but never seemed crowded to me. I love the Quantum and plan on booking again soon!

• Like 1