The expedition parka !

machotspur

33 minutes ago, labrasett said:

Nonsense they may be ugly and look cheap (they are not) but they are so comfortable and useful.   Many many medical staff (particularly operating theatre) and dentists wear them because they are so comfortable for standing all day.   I love them for when I am doing the ironing.   

I've seen people complain about men not wearing ties etc, but Crocs are beyond hideous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, machotspur said:

Amazon have just delivered a new pair of Crocs to our house. The advice given on the website was spot on i.e. they come up large. So the size i've ordered is perfect with thick expedition socks and liners.

I've never been this organised - assisted by the very helpful comments on here I have everything I need delivered/ordered 3 months before departure - incredible !😀

BTW - where we are here - in the Cotswolds, England - we have a place named Croc World, just a couple of miles from where we live (a Crocodile 'reserve').  Maybe I should have gone there instead of Amazon for my expedition footwear ? 😄    

I'm organised and don't leave until September next year! Loving some of the suggestions, and can't wait 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, AusMum said:

I'm organised and don't leave until September next year! Loving some of the suggestions, and can't wait 🙂

Then plenty of time to get those Crocs organised 😄.

I've never owned a pair in my life but have seen many many guests use them on Expedition ships, hence my 'taking the plunge'. You will see i'm sure !  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, machotspur said:

Whilst the attempt at humour v serious comment has passed me by in some recent posts I would - as requested in the original post - be most interested in hearing of your experiences on Silversea expedition ships and indeed the footwear that meets your needs between Cabin & Mud Room.

Thank you so much !  

I don't do mud

18 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I don't do mud

Mmm.. 🙄

Again I sincerely thank those with experience of expedition cruising for the very helpful, constructive and detailed sharing of their experiences.

Despite us having some previous experiences of expedition cruising it has certainly helped us to prepare for our next adventure - the 'final continent'.

I'm already psyched up for one of the most anticipated sections of our trip - on South Georgia - the whisky toast at Sir Ernest Shackleton's grave (not forgetting Frank Wild of course !).  

Thank you !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, machotspur said:

Whilst the attempt at humour v serious comment has passed me by in some recent posts I would - as requested in the original post - be most interested in hearing of your experiences on Silversea expedition ships and indeed the footwear that meets your needs between Cabin & Mud Room.

Thank you so much !  

Dress code casual at all times (a little smarter in the evening) and crocs are just perfect for suite to mud room.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, machotspur said:

Thank you so much !  

The slip on slippers provided in the suite are perfect.  

BYW, I would rather amputate my feet than wear crocs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Final post on this topic... It will be very hot in Santiago and if you are staying at the Mandarin Oriental it has a beautiful, large pool and deck area. We used our waterproof sandals there during our stay. Also remember to pack a bathing suit and a casual summer outfit for Santiago. You won't want to be stuck wearing your polar fleece there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, let's stipulate that different people are comfortable with widely different temperature ranges — someone can feel cold at 50ºF and someone else can feel 32ºF requires just a light jacket. And some of that depends on the weather conditions beyond the temperature: sunny with not wind at 32º can feel very different than cloudy, windy, rainy 32º.

So now, I'll say that you want a variety of weights of clothing to insure you can make yourself comfortable. Yes, I'd take a fleece. Even if you decide you don't want/need it under your parka, but you might find it comfortable to wear on the ship if you're popping outside on your veranda or on deck to view what you're sailing by. I did peel off my fleece on a hike on one of the Falkland islands because we had a beautiful day and I was too hot, but I did enjoy having it on a 90-minute zodiac cruise when I was stationary. 

I'd also say that the ship's slippers (a) don't fit if you have large/wide feet, and (b) can easily get wet in the mud room. (The latter isn't a big problem if you've returned from a landing and you're headed to your room, but the last thing you want as you go to suit up for a landing is to get your socks wet! So I think taking some form of waterproof sandal/water shoe is desirable. I purchased a pair of these inexpensive ones on Amazon at the recommendation of a fellow SS passenger; just consider ordering a size up so you can wear them with the thick socks you'll be wearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the information on this thread . We are on Silver Wind in Feb24 so I'm grateful for all advise I had already bought waterproof slip ons for travel between mud room and cabin so no crocs for me . 

Layers seems to be the way to go as we are from Australia we feel the cold more so we are prepared to layer up or down depending on the day and activity .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy333 said:

Thank you for all the information on this thread . We are on Silver Wind in Feb24 so I'm grateful for all advise I had already bought waterproof slip ons for travel between mud room and cabin so no crocs for me . 

Layers seems to be the way to go as we are from Australia we feel the cold more so we are prepared to layer up or down depending on the day and activity .

I think this recent weather has been helping us to prepare lol. I keep getting hubby to stand outside in his new gear from the Anaconda sale, and have said, "This is as hot as it ever gets in Iceland!".

Which journey are you taking?

17 minutes ago, AusMum said:

I think this recent weather has been helping us to prepare lol. I keep getting hubby to stand outside in his new gear from the Anaconda sale, and have said, "This is as hot as it ever gets in Iceland!".

Which journey are you taking?

Antarctica expedition cruise . We did Iceland in May it was cold wet and windy . Where do you live in Australia .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonesy333 said:

Antarctica expedition cruise . We did Iceland in May it was cold wet and windy . Where do you live in Australia .

Perth (Salter Point) - you?

Our cruise is in September next year, so we will be in Iceland in late August.  I have a wedding to go to in Denmark in August, so we needed something that suited our time frame.

Any words of wisdom for an Australian in Iceland?

We had booked to go to Antarctica in 2021, but it was only with Celebrity, and we had to cancel.  We always hated the journey we would have to take to get there, via Argentina. The dates had us passing through Sydney for NYE, so it was always going to be difficult.

We were watching Foxtel, where we saw an ad for The Arctic on Silverseas.  They enticed us with images of polar bears etc, and both of us said, "Hey, let's go there, it seems to be so much easier to get to."  We have our 30th wedding anniversary next month, so I guess we are just celebrating a year late.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 2:25 AM, cruiseej said:

First, let's stipulate that different people are comfortable with widely different temperature ranges — someone can feel cold at 50ºF and someone else can feel 32ºF requires just a light jacket. And some of that depends on the weather conditions beyond the temperature: sunny with not wind at 32º can feel very different than cloudy, windy, rainy 32º.

So now, I'll say that you want a variety of weights of clothing to insure you can make yourself comfortable. Yes, I'd take a fleece. Even if you decide you don't want/need it under your parka, but you might find it comfortable to wear on the ship if you're popping outside on your veranda or on deck to view what you're sailing by. I did peel off my fleece on a hike on one of the Falkland islands because we had a beautiful day and I was too hot, but I did enjoy having it on a 90-minute zodiac cruise when I was stationary. 

I'd also say that the ship's slippers (a) don't fit if you have large/wide feet, and (b) can easily get wet in the mud room. (The latter isn't a big problem if you've returned from a landing and you're headed to your room, but the last thing you want as you go to suit up for a landing is to get your socks wet! So I think taking some form of waterproof sandal/water shoe is desirable. I purchased a pair of these inexpensive ones on Amazon at the recommendation of a fellow SS passenger; just consider ordering a size up so you can wear them with the thick socks you'll be wearing.

I second the wisdom of taking a fleece.   Mix and match is possible with fleece, parka outer and parker inner this threesome makes for a very versatile wardrobe for all weathers from really chilly to quite mild and wet.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 7:34 PM, AusMum said:

Perth (Salter Point) - you?

Our cruise is in September next year, so we will be in Iceland in late August.  I have a wedding to go to in Denmark in August, so we needed something that suited our time frame.

Any words of wisdom for an Australian in Iceland?

We had booked to go to Antarctica in 2021, but it was only with Celebrity, and we had to cancel.  We always hated the journey we would have to take to get there, via Argentina. The dates had us passing through Sydney for NYE, so it was always going to be difficult.

We were watching Foxtel, where we saw an ad for The Arctic on Silverseas.  They enticed us with images of polar bears etc, and both of us said, "Hey, let's go there, it seems to be so much easier to get to."  We have our 30th wedding anniversary next month, so I guess we are just celebrating a year late.

Hi AusMum ,

We live near Hillarys . I honestly expected Iceland to be cool at the end of May when we went but with the rain came very low clouds which restricted the scenery a bit . We did a day trip with Iceland Everywhere from Akureyri which was great and can recommend this company . Then I caught COVID as we reached Reykjavik only started being ill after doing a HOHO bus which I hated as it seemed like the city was a concrete building site to me ( my partner said it was because I was starting to feel unwell ) I can't really say anything else because that was the last of Iceland I saw .

My partner did a Day trip with the same company to se the Southern coast he loved it but weather again wasn't good I was refunded my money for trip . 

August I would hope its good weather as its peak summer but probably a rain coat just in case ?

Hope you love Iceland more than I did . 

Happy travels 

Jacqui