Enchanted Princess: Royal Afternoon Tea (Upcharge)

World Bouncer

Can anyone tell me about the afternoon tea that is held in the Piazza?  

I have heard it called "Royal Afternoon Tea" or "Second Afternoon Tea"

I have done many searches online for video and I am having difficulty finding decent results or any reviews of this one.  I have found reviews of the included afternoon tea in the main dining rooms.

Interested in opinions about whether it is worth the premium upcharge for it, if being in the Piazza makes it too noisy or less elegant, and if you can simply use the Premier Package to cover the Champagne portion of it?

Also any pictures would be lovely 🙂 

Thank You!

Edited by World Bouncer

I believe the Grand Princess had a tiny tea room off of the Crown Grill.  It was dark.  It had boxes of loose tea.  And tables.  But I never saw anyone having tea there.  Not even staffed.  I remember seeing an upcharge menu, but did not pay much attention to the sign.

• Like 1

The Royal Tea was advertised on the Royal in January, but I did not attend.  I had the Royal Tea pre-pandemic (sorry not sure which ship) & I know I was not greatly impressed when I went (or I would have wanted to go in January) but I think it was more about the wait staff not doing their job than anything else.  Hopefully someone who has done it recently will comment for you.  I would ask a managerial type dining room person when you get onboard about using the drink package for the champagne (they can direct you to the right person hopefully for an answer).  You do need to book ahead so when booking they should know the answer.  The piazza is always noisy so it will not have the tearoom atmosphere.  I remember a choice of tea in an individual pot & the tiered service for the food but beyond that I don't remember what was served.  They do seem to be advertising it on at least some of the ships so I do think it is still being offered.  Side note, there were scones & the whipped cream in the buffet around the time tea was being served downstairs in the dining room on the Royal this year if you just want to go there.  

• Like 2

We also did the Royal Tea on the Royal Princess a couple of years ago. You were seated in the upper circular section of the Piazza near the International cafe where they had reserved tables for the service. You were provided a choice of the loose specialty teas displayed in the unit near the coffee counter. It also came with a glass of champagne and assortment of tea sandwiches, scones and sweets including a meringue trifle dessert. Honestly, I was not impressed and would never pay to do it again. The loose teas were fine, champagne was the cheap version, the food was subpar compared to other nice teas I have enjoyed elsewhere, and scones appeared the same as the ones at free tea. The trifle was an overly sweet mess. 

I much prefer the regular free afternoon tea in the dining room with the nice setting and lovely piano music playing. While you can’t get a specialty tea, you can order a separate pot of hot water with any of their standard teabag selections so you do have choices. And while the sandwiches can be a bit boring overall the selection of goodies is much better and you can pick what you want and the scones are served warm. This opposed to predetermined selections just sitting on a tiered server brought to your table in a noisy public venue is much nicer in my estimation. 

• Like 2

It’s still advertised on their website as being available on some ships but doesn’t name which ones. We are hoping they have it on the Enchanted when we are aboard next week. It’s well worth the upcharge to us. They have a string quartet play, fancy souvenir paper menus, the traditional 3 tier display with scones, sandwiches, and desserts, and the teas are served in courses. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

It’s still advertised on their website as being available on some ships but doesn’t name which ones. We are hoping they have it on the Enchanted when we are aboard next week. It’s well worth the upcharge to us. They have a string quartet play, fancy souvenir paper menus, the traditional 3 tier display with scones, sandwiches, and desserts, and the teas are served in courses. 

Please let us know when you come back 🙂 we eagerly await the juicy details!