Did you feel safe in Rio?

crazy4cruisn

We took our luggage with us on tour and then they dropped us at the airport. We took everyone's advice and also used our own common sense as far as carrying purses - wearing jewellery etc. We walked the beach and the streets in the Copacabana area with absolutely no problem. I would certainly go back again. It is just like any big city. Common sense prevails.

No we did not feel safe. We did not have any problem and always had a private guide with us. You will be ok but I think you must always be extra alert and don't forget to use common sense.

I go to South America (primarily Chile and Peru) four times per year for business. The South America fruit growers have a big meeting once a year. 2001, 2002, and 2003-the meeting was in Rio. In 2003, about half the group left within 2 days (4 day conference). Just too dangerous. 2004 the meeting was in Mendoza and 2005 the meeting was in Montivideo. Even the South Americans think Rio is the pitts.

It is getting worse. I don't care what the "tourism" board and the government says. The additional "tourism police" did absolutely nothing for safety. You must be EXTREMELY careful. There are more scams. pickpockets, etc. in Rio than almost anyplace in the world. The disparity between rich tourists (or so they think) and the favelas (barrio's, poor neighborhoods) is growing. And the favelas surround the best areas of Rio.

When you go, go with an organized tour or a private guide, either recommended by someone you trust or arranged by a TA. DO NOT walk around with credit cards, passports, and lots of cash. DO NOT wear jewelry. DO NOT wear expensive clothes-be VERY minimal. And really pay attention!!!

if you use common sense , you should be fine. stick to the main areas, and don't flash your camera or other expenice items and you should be fine.Actually, now, most peope say that Sao Paulo is more dangerous a city to be in.

And I am a pale ,redheaded teenager, that just screams 'gringa' and I had no problems in both cities. just keep your eyes and ears open and enjoy your time in Brasil!

Just returned from spending two days post cruise in Rio at the end of Carnivale. The weekend was incredibly busy and then Monday was so different. Just take the normal precautions you would in any large city - stay in populated areas, no jewelry, etc. Also, dress VERY casually, especially on weekends as the locals do when headed for the beach.

We had no problem and only once did I see a group of guys that made me uncomfortable. We were staying just about a block of Ipanema Beach.

I don't agree that Rio is "just like any other big city". I was born and raised in NYC and thank goodness safely lived through some rough years here in the 70's and I've travelled all around the world to many big cities. I think Rio is more dangerous and "ordinary precautions" are not enough. Yes, I'm certain it's alot safer than Bogata and some other cities, but I feel less safe in Rio than in other parts of Brazil or Buenos Aires.

Yes, I'm sure people can cite examples of the contrary, but we're talking averages.

We were mugged in Rio by a group of kids walking across the street to the beach at 3:00PM. Hardly a dark alley. That was about a dozen years ago.

On our second visit last year we hired a guide and stuck with him. We would not have returned to that city but our ship overnighted there and we had no choice, so we hired a guide. One of the men on our cruise was followed down the street by a couple of unsavory characters and ducked into a restaurant for safety and had them call a taxi for him to take him back to the ship. It's such a beautiful city and the good people there are lovely but stick with a guide, IMO.

We felt quite safe in Rio though we didn't do anything adventurous on our own.

We were staying opposite Copacabana Beach and we did go for lengthy walks along the promenade each day. We did not wear any jewellery other than our "copy" watches worth $8 and we did not carry large amounts of cash.

Everyone was out and about and even though we did not stand out as such, the vendors did know that we were tourists even though we never wear sneakers as we were offered their wares everywhere we walked. They just ignored the locals.

It is a beautiful city and one should just be very careful when there.

Jennie

Our experience was much like Jennie's. I really wanted to like the city, but I found it to be pretty scary. Neat but scary. We stayed at the Ipanema Plaza Hotel, nice 1/2 block from the beach in the best part of town. We did walk 1-1/2 blocks at night to dinner one night and after dinner walking back to the hotel a gang of "street dancers" started blocking traffic and banging on trash can lids kind of an impromptu street version of Stomp. I was frankly a little freaked out. We dropped into a little sidewalk cafe and bought some desserts to take back to the hotel and when there was a clear break between the "dancers" and our hotel we briskly shot out of the cafe and went to our hotel. A couple of nights later our English friends joined us at our hotel after our 2 day trip to Iguasso Falls and we ate in the hotel on the deck for dinner(due to my trepidation of taking another trip at night) another gang of street dancers started begging for money of all of the patrons of the restaurant. While we were in Peru begging was certainly omnipresent, but I was never afraid in Rio I was afraid. We did the Hippie market the next day about a 4 block walk and we had no problem and outside of some neat leather maps that were huge and expensive there is nothing in Rio that I need to see again soon. We all agreed another visit to Buenos Aires is something that we want to do. Rio no thanks.

jc

Archived