Dining options on Caribbean princess questions

dizgal64

Hubby and I are doing our first princess cruise aug 4 on the Caribbean Princess. We also have the plus beverage package.
 I just want to get my facts straight about the dining/snack options. 
We have our ressies for MDR every night but we might want to switch it up depending on how the tour day went or if it’s a sea day. 
oh, and also, with the drink package do we get a refillable cup like some cruise lines have for soda etc? I didn’t think so but wanted to check. 

1) So, obviously we have the MDR. I assume open for breakfast daily? Is this usually open also for lunch on sea days?

2) Specialty dining- I don’t think we will do either of the specialty dining venues. But I know those two are options. And I know how to book (if there would be any availability) on the app. 

3) Salty dog- upcharge $18  Open only for dinner. Not lunch even on sea days? Worth it? What’s the fav thing to get here?

4) pizza place- by the pool. Free. How late is this one open?

5) international cafe- open 24 hours. For plus peeps, everything here free? Cappuccinos, lattes, food…?

6) Planks bbq- up charge $12 but don’t need ressies. Lunch and dinner? Does this place get crowded for dinner? What’s the fav thing to get here? 

7) Steamers seafood- upcharge $12 no ressies needed, lunch and dinner? What’s your fav? We love mussels…I think they have those. 

8) marketplace buffet- free, question on beverages…do they have a place here to get an alcoholic drink if we want one? Do servers handle this or do we go up and order somewhere? Any info you want to share about what you liked, what you didn’t like? Things not to miss?

9) vines- Wine (free depending on price of wine) and somewhere I read free food with drink purchase. What if you have a drinks package? Lunch and dinner daily. 

10) cones and coffee- all free including premier desserts for beverage package people? What are the hours? Like early 6am? How late?

11) 24 hour room service- continental breakfast free. No fee anytime but some thing have a charge? Like if we got a hot breakfast like eggs/bacon how much would that be?

ok is that all of them? Anyone want to say what meal or something they loved and shouldn’t be missed?

thank you all in advance. We are really excited to try Princess!

38 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

1) So, obviously we have the MDR. I assume open for breakfast daily? Is this usually open also for lunch on sea days?

Yes to both (but always worth reading your daily program to get clarification, or just ask one of the hostesses in front of the dining rooms).

pizza place- by the pool. Free. How late is this one open?

Should be 10PM. YMMV.

5) international cafe- open 24 hours. For plus peeps, everything here free? Cappuccinos, lattes, food…?

The food offerings will always be free to anyone at the International Cafe, with or without packages. Plus package should also cover the coffees and teas you'll get; you can always verify with the baristas there.

6) Planks bbq- up charge $12 but don’t need ressies. Lunch and dinner? Does this place get crowded for dinner? What’s the fav thing to get here? 

7) Steamers seafood- upcharge $12 no ressies needed, lunch and dinner? What’s your fav? We love mussels…I think they have those. 

I didn't know they were actually reviving these eateries yet post-pandemic (staffing issues); perhaps someone else recently onboard can update you on if they actually are open or not. IIRC lunch isn't a thing in both of these venues as they just become an extension of the buffet. Dinner rarely got crowded in either restaurant when they were in operation because they were not promoted very well (this is a pre-pandemic memory). Perhaps things have changed...?

😎 marketplace buffet- free, question on beverages…do they have a place here to get an alcoholic drink if we want one? Do servers handle this or do we go up and order somewhere? Any info you want to share about what you liked, what you didn’t like? Things not to miss?

You can get your own alcoholic bevs at the bars outside the buffet on the Lido pool deck. There will be crew milling around in the buffet as well and they can assist with your order. No physical bar inside the buffet, though. There are existing threads in this forum about must-have Princess drinks.

10) cones and coffee- all free including premier desserts for beverage package people? What are the hours? Like early 6am? How late?

Premier desserts should be included for Plus, yes (just 2/day). I think they also close at 10PM? YMMV again. Unsure of when they open, but it should be early enough, but if you want your coffee fix early, head to the International Cafe anyways.

Anyone want to say what meal or something they loved and shouldn’t be missed?

Don't miss Skywalkers Nightclub at the very top of the aft of the ship. No other ship in the fleet has this design anymore (with the propped up spoiler-looking aft). Walking up the travelator is such a unique experience for a cruise ship at that level. It's a perfectly nice spot to lounge during the day as well.

I don't really have a particular meal to recommend - most of the food has been good for me before, and I hope you have good food onboard as well. Perhaps try one of their cold fruity soups in the MDR? Just something a little unique there. Otherwise, I hope your cruise goes off without a hitch and welcome to Princess!

Edited by snoozecrooze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, dizgal64 said:

Hubby and I are doing our first princess cruise aug 4 on the Caribbean Princess. We also have the plus beverage package.
 I just want to get my facts straight about the dining/snack options. 
We have our ressies for MDR every night but we might want to switch it up depending on how the tour day went or if it’s a sea day. 
oh, and also, with the drink package do we get a refillable cup like some cruise lines have for soda etc? I didn’t think so but wanted to check. 

2) Specialty dining- I don’t think we will do either of the specialty dining venues. But I know those two are options. And I know how to book (if there would be any availability) on the app.  You can make reservations on board through the app, calling the dining line or visiting the restaurants. There probably will be some times available.

3) Salty dog- upcharge $18  Open only for dinner. Not lunch even on sea days? Worth it? What’s the fav thing to get here? There is no Salty Dog Restaurant on the Caribbean Princess. There is a Salty Dog Grill by the Lido Pool which is open from 11am until late evening. It's walk up and carry to your table. The food is no charge except for a few items theat have an upcharge.

4) pizza place- by the pool. Free. How late is this one open?

5) international cafe- open 24 hours. For plus peeps, everything here free? Cappuccinos, lattes, food…? No charge for food items. There is a charge for brewed coffee, espresso drinks, specialty teas, hot chocolate, no additional charge and unlimited with the plus or premier packages. 

6) Planks bbq- up charge $12 but don’t need ressies. Lunch and dinner? Does this place get crowded for dinner? What’s the fav thing to get here? On the deck plans but not operational. The area is a seating section of the World Fresh Marketplace. There is a serving area in that area which is usually serving during breakfast and lunch hours. When we were on board this was where they were preparing made to order omelets and where they had themed lunch items.

7) Steamers seafood- upcharge $12 no ressies needed, lunch and dinner? What’s your fav? We love mussels…I think they have those. Also not operational. See #6

😎 marketplace buffet- free, question on beverages…do they have a place here to get an alcoholic drink if we want one? Do servers handle this or do we go up and order somewhere? Any info you want to share about what you liked, what you didn’t like? Things not to miss?

9) vines- Wine (free depending on price of wine) and somewhere I read free food with drink purchase. What if you have a drinks package? Lunch and dinner daily. 

10) cones and coffee- all free including premier desserts for beverage package people? What are the hours? Like early 6am? How late? 11am until late evening

11) 24 hour room service- continental breakfast free. No fee anytime but some thing have a charge? Like if we got a hot breakfast like eggs/bacon how much would that be?  No charge for delivery. Some hot items available on the menu, not limited to continental. Some items have a charge, example chocolate covered strawberries. You can also order through the Ocean Now app and if you are in your cabin it will be delivered to you.

ok is that all of them? Anyone want to say what meal or something they loved and shouldn’t be missed?

thank you all in advance. We are really excited to try Princess!

See comments imbedded in your questions

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

Some additional information. The site shown below will provide you with additional dining information on the Caribbean Princess.

Regarding room service. Balcony cat cabins and below only have one desk chair and a small low approx. 18 inch dia. round table inside the cabin. Balcony cabins a a small table and two chairs on the balcony. Mini suites have a sofa, chair and the small low table indoors plus the seating on table on the balcony. Full suites have seating and tables.

Vines is a wine bar in the Piazza. Vines does not serve meals. If you wish to have some meal type food you have to obtain it from the International Cafe and carry it over to Vines. You will find lots of people sitting at the Vines area tables eating I.C. selections. In the evening Vines used to serve small plates sushi with your wine, similar to getting some bar mix at other types of bars. I am not certain if they still do this. There are no meals. 

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf vary.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 2

You both are AWESOME!! I can’t thank you enough! 
A bummer about the bbq place but especially about the seafood one. That would have been nice. Oh well. First world problems. 😄

thank you both again!

I have heard that Princess is bringing back the Crab Shack event. In the past it was held a few evenings in a closed off seating area of the buffet. They may offer it. In the past there were signs around as well as being mentions in the daily paper. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skynight said:

I have heard that Princess is bringing back the Crab Shack event. In the past it was held a few evenings in a closed off seating area of the buffet. They may offer it. In the past there were signs around as well as being mentions in the daily paper. 

Is this probably something I won’t find out about or be able to book until I get on the ship?

5 hours ago, dizgal64 said:

Is this probably something I won’t find out about or be able to book until I get on the ship?

If they have it, Yes. There would not be much of a capacity issue. Lots of seating area in the buffet. There may be signs in the buffet area, it may be shown in the journey view in the app.

• Thanks 1