Opinion please on hotels

I have some Marriott points to use and trying to get hotels lined up pre and post cruise. This is what I have on tap since last post and wondering if anyone has experience related opinions on these properties. 

Greyfriars St Andrews

St Ermins Hotel in London (points)

Renaissance Hotel at LHR (points)

Still working on Edinburgh. TA I know mentioned Macdonald Holyrood Hotel in a package offer but not sure. Any suggestions for something in Old town area? 

As always thanks in advance!

I would not be out at Heathrow if I wanted to visit in London.  It is a long way out and back particularly after theatre other evening events.  For layover the hotel is fine, for getting in to town, not as much

St Ermins is a good location , VERY highly rated.  The St James tube station is served by two useful lines for getting out and around town.  Very walkable for the classic touristic places.  The very immediate neighborhood Is largely government and business focused.  It is a little lacking in character and "local places" for food and drink.  that last is a bit subjective.

Cannot help you with St Andrews.  

If you have 

3 hours ago, 1island2go said:

I have some Marriott points to use and trying to get hotels lined up pre and post cruise. This is what I have on tap since last post and wondering if anyone has experience related opinions on these properties. 

Greyfriars St Andrews

St Ermins Hotel in London (points)

Renaissance Hotel at LHR (points)

Still working on Edinburgh. TA I know mentioned Macdonald Holyrood Hotel in a package offer but not sure. Any suggestions for something in Old town area? 

As always thanks in advance!

Greyfriars St Andrews is owned by the UK pub chain Green King.  They're a mass-market brand, and I wouldn't have even thought of them as a go-to for a hotel, but it seems to get very good ratings on TripAdvisor.

Macdonald Holyrood is in quite a quiet area, nearly next to the parliament building, but still an easy walk into the busier bit of the old town.  Directly opposite is the home of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption; luckily they only create havoc in the virtual world! 

If it's available on a good rate, then there is no reason to avoid it. 

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

It is a little lacking in character and "local places" for food and drink.  that last is a bit subjective.

I worked across the road for 20 years, so forgive me if I violently disagree. There are some brilliant pubs within a few minutes walk. I’ll give you the Buckingham in Petty France to start with….

like I said, subjective.  I have a fondness for Marchmont Street ,north from Russell Square stn.  I dont think someone could be disappointed in London,  because if it is not right there and making you happy, there is someplace just over the way or down , around the corner

21 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

If you have 

Greyfriars St Andrews is owned by the UK pub chain Green King.  They're a mass-market brand, and I wouldn't have even thought of them as a go-to for a hotel, but it seems to get very good ratings on TripAdvisor.

Macdonald Holyrood is in quite a quiet area, nearly next to the parliament building, but still an easy walk into the busier bit of the old town.  Directly opposite is the home of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption; luckily they only create havoc in the virtual world! 

If it's available on a good rate, then there is no reason to avoid it. 

If there is a better suggestion for about the same rate in St Andrews please advise…also in Edinburgh and have no idea what to do there.

9 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

But the OP was asking about staying in St James, not Bloomsbury….

I know that and I never implied he should reconsider.  The hotel is great and a very convenient location for getting around, which I praised.  

1 hour ago, 1island2go said:

If there is a better suggestion for about the same rate in St Andrews please advise…also in Edinburgh and have no idea what to do there.

In both Edinburgh and St Andrews, there are a range of hotels.  My view is that the market works quite well, and unless you are dabbling at the bottom or top ends, you get what you pay for.

If you're looking for hotels that overlook the Old Course, then Russacks or The Old Course Hotel are your main options, but they have a price tag to match.

In Edinburgh, the choice is so wide I'd be reluctant to recommend anything specific without a detailed set of criteria!!  The only thing I could add is that - just last week - a friend said to my wife that she felt walking late at night in the High Street section of the Royal Mile to be a bit intimidating.  I was surprised.  It's nothing like that during the day or in the evening, and when I've been there there later I didn't notice a problem - so take what you will from that.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would be looking on TripAdvisor.

Thanks for your response. I have been looking at trip advisor and there are a bunch of Marriott properties in London but some have bad reviews. Just was wondering if anyone has stayed at any of these for a second opinion.

4 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I would not be out at Heathrow if I wanted to visit in London.  It is a long way out and back particularly after theatre other evening events.  For layover the hotel is fine, for getting in to town, not as much

St Ermins is a good location , VERY highly rated.  The St James tube station is served by two useful lines for getting out and around town.  Very walkable for the classic touristic places.  The very immediate neighborhood Is largely government and business focused.  It is a little lacking in character and "local places" for food and drink.  that last is a bit subjective.

Cannot help you with St Andrews.  

So these are places to have a drink and get something to eat close to St Ermins? Thank you! Will check them out. 

Is it a safe place at night to get to these pubs if walking?  We chose this to be centrally located and to be able to walk to some of the sights so not always on the tube. We do want to be in a safe area that is not deserted or dicey though we will not be out super late after sightseeing all day. Mayfair and Westiminster were suggested, but either cost (points) or reviews had me look at this hotel. Hence the question for anyone who has actually stayed there or knows that area well. 

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

In both Edinburgh and St Andrews, there are a range of hotels.  My view is that the market works quite well, and unless you are dabbling at the bottom or top ends, you get what you pay for.

If you're looking for hotels that overlook the Old Course, then Russacks or The Old Course Hotel are your main options, but they have a price tag to match.

In Edinburgh, the choice is so wide I'd be reluctant to recommend anything specific without a detailed set of criteria!!  The only thing I could add is that - just last week - a friend said to my wife that she felt walking late at night in the High Street section of the Royal Mile to be a bit intimidating.  I was surprised.  It's nothing like that during the day or in the evening, and when I've been there there later I didn't notice a problem - so take what you will from that.

Thank you for your reply. It seems St Andrews is very walkable and we want to be close to the course as well. In Edinburgh we want something close to oldtown and royal mile that is safe and clean and walkable to everything in that area. We will only be there for 2 nights before heading on to London. We do not typically stay out late. Would like something updated. Queen size or larger bed, safe, safe area, close to places to eat, sites and shopping. Under $300 a night would be great if possible. Thank you

22 minutes ago, 1island2go said:

Thank you for your reply. It seems St Andrews is very walkable and we want to be close to the course as well. In Edinburgh we want something close to oldtown and royal mile that is safe and clean and walkable to everything in that area. We will only be there for 2 nights before heading on to London. We do not typically stay out late. Would like something updated. Queen size or larger bed, safe, safe area, close to places to eat, sites and shopping. Under $300 a night would be great if possible. Thank you

Edinburgh is a compact city.  There are probably 50+ hotels within 15 minute walk of the middle of the Royal Mile that match your budget.  You're not going wrong with the Macdonald Holyrood.

58 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Edinburgh is a compact city.  There are probably 50+ hotels within 15 minute walk of the middle of the Royal Mile that match your budget.  You're not going wrong with the Macdonald Holyrood.

I haven't booked it yet. It was on a list that a TA I know put together for a tour. So it is in a good area??? Thanks again for all your help!

13 hours ago, 1island2go said:

I haven't booked it yet. It was on a list that a TA I know put together for a tour. So it is in a good area??? Thanks again for all your help!

The area is safe (the security gate of the Scottish Parliament looks up the road from 100m away), quiet, and has easy access on foot to the quieter end of the Royal Mile.  If you were staying this week, one of your nearest neighbours would be King Charles!!

Edinburgh is a small city easily walkable - unless you decide to go up to Arthur's seat which left us puffing - they also have trams if you need a ride. Last time we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard on points. there were issues as it was very soon after travel restrictions were lifted, but I would stay there again. It is a beautiful city and safe IMHO the castle is the must do lots of other things depending on what floats your boat.

8 hours ago, 1island2go said:

Thanks for the info. Also looking at the raddison blu which is pretty much centered half way between castle and the holy rood hotel. Any thoughts on that hotel? Thanks again!

Yes, another decent hotel.  The building looks old, but was built in 1989, much of it coming in kit-form from Scandinavia!  The area is busier and closer to the busiest part of the Royal Mile, which starts just west of here.  It's in a location where returning to the hotel for a short break during the day would be really easy.  If you're thinking of going a bit further afield than the immediate city centre, public transport within a couple of minutes of the doorstep is quite a bit better than at the Macdonald Holyrood.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Yes, another decent hotel.  The building looks old, but was built in 1989, much of it coming in kit-form from Scandinavia!  The area is busier and closer to the busiest part of the Royal Mile, which starts just west of here.  It's in a location where returning to the hotel for a short break during the day would be really easy.  If you're thinking of going a bit further afield than the immediate city centre, public transport within a couple of minutes of the doorstep is quite a bit better than at the Macdonald Holyrood.

Thank you!

• Like 1