Special Dining Gratuity on reservation

cajun-crazy

I opted out of the Beverage package of the FAS, keeping internet, excursion and 2 specialty meals (10 night cruise). Added to my reservation was a 20.00 Specialty Dining Gratuity. Should I expect to be charged 20% of the value of what we ordered as gratuity? Or have I already paid the gratuity?

we cruised Breakaway last year and was really confused by this.

The normal price of the 2SDP is $99 + 20% service charge.

The promo "gives" you the 2SDP and you pay only the service charge. 

On the ship, the meal will be covered by your SDP when you use it and your service charge has already been paid before you board the ship. You don't have to pay anything extra unless you order something not covered by your SDP. 

However, you will be presented with a paper check when you finish your meal.  It will show the price of your meal, but will be credited down to $0 unless you ordered something that was additional that was a chargeable item.  On that check will be a place where you can leave a gratuity, just like you see in most land restaurants.  You do not need to add anything there, since you already paid your gratuity.  Just ignore it or draw a line thru it.  Or, if you're so inclined, you can leave an additional gratuity for your staff if you wish.  I've done both. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

If multiple crew are to be believed, if you leave anything additional on that gratuity line (for dining or just getting a drink), the crew member doesn't actually see it. If you are inclined to leave a tip, might I humbly suggest the almighty dollar. This ensures the crew actually see the tip. Perhaps the crew were embellishing, not being truthful, etc...but I take their word over NCL's. Feel free to tip however you'd like though, on the line or passing some paper. 

Have a wonderful cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1