Walking to port in La Spezia

The complimentary shuttle to port entrance doesn't start till 9am. I've walked at all ports I've been to, working dock or not. Can we walk from cruise ship to the metro bus stop or train station? Or what are our options getting out of the port?

10 minutes ago, ddame said:

The complimentary shuttle to port entrance doesn't start till 9am. I've walked at all ports I've been to, working dock or not. Can we walk from cruise ship to the metro bus stop or train station? Or what are our options getting out of the port?

I don't believe you can walk out of this port.  The shuttles should start within 1/2 hour after you dock.

At La Spezia, as with a few other European ports including Zeebrugge, you’re not allowed to walk around the dock area and must catch the port shuttle from the ship to the terminal.

Lots of useful info in this thread from last year:

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ddame said:

Who says?

Never had issues with getting a shuttle as soon as we have disembarked the ship in LaSpezia certainly before 9am. They meet the ships.  The train station is a long way. You catch the shuttle to the gate then negotiate a cab fare to take you up the hill. 

• Thanks 1

We were just in LaSpezia in mid May and there is no way around taking the shuttle. As was said, there are signs all over that you are not allowed to walk around the dock area and must take the shuttle. As we disembarked there were a stream of buses waiting. You board and as soon as it is full, off you go.

Cheers

Len

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:19 AM, Beachsidebob said:

Hi. How does it work for overnight port stays in La Spezia?  How late do shuttles run and can you come and go freely from the ship in the evening?

This I cannot answer. As I remember the shuttles are run by locals and not RCCL.

Cheers

Len

Once the shuttle takes you to the drop-off spot, you can walk to the train station.... it will take about 20 minutes and is a good way to see the downtown and  along the port area.  We walked to and from the train station without issue.  Last November the ticket office at the train station (the one who sells the all day Cinque Terre passes) didn't open until 9am, so you may want to consider that if you need the train passes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hova said:

Once the shuttle takes you to the drop-off spot, you can walk to the train station.... it will take about 20 minutes and is a good way to see the downtown and  along the port area.  We walked to and from the train station without issue.  Last November the ticket office at the train station (the one who sells the all day Cinque Terre passes) didn't open until 9am, so you may want to consider that if you need the train passes. 

Skip the long line and get your Cinque Terre passes on line.  We did it last May.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Skip the long line and get your Cinque Terre passes on line.  We did it last May.

The app for the Cinque Terre pass is MyPass.  Purchased on line and get a QR code on your phone.  Skip all the long lines at the train station.  Just head to the track and board the train.

4 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Our cruise in May, Italy had had a lot of rain with severe floods in some parts of the country. After waiting an hour in the queue for Cinque Terre passes we were told that the weather was causing significant delays and cancellations and they couldn't guarantee trains. Their advice was to buy a one stop ticket from the tobacconists next door (no queue) or not to travel at all.

Cut a long story short, we did, got off at second to last stop and caught the boat back to La Spezia. 

I did a full report in the Italian ports pages of CC.

My post is number 38

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2911139-la-spezia-anything-to-do-within-a-short-drive/