Celebrity Eclipse Pacific Coastal - Need Passport for Ensenada Port?

SNMK

I am considering Celebrity's pacific coastal itinerary on the Eclipse.  The only international port is Ensenada Mexico.  Will I need my passport if I want to explore this port for the day?  Thank you!

While it is unlikely that your passport would be checked by Mexican immigration authorities when you depart the ship for the day in Ensenada, passports are required for international travel, and you should always have it with you when visiting any foreign country.  In a worse case scenario in which you require the assistance of the US Consulate serving Ensenada, it would be used to establish your citizenship.  Safeguard your passport by keeping it in a secure pocket, bag, or purse.

Last Nov we did Solstice out of LA with a day in Ensenada. I showed my seapass card and US driver license to get back on the ship. Depending on the country I'm visiting. I might bring a photo copy of my passport with me while in town.

Per Celebrity and the State Dept, since it is a "closed loop cruise" starting in a US port and ending in a US port, you do not have to have a passport.  You will need a government issued ID like a Driver License and your Birth Certificate.

From the Celebrity website on documents needed for travel:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

• Like 1

A passport (or the alternative documents posted by @CulverCityCruisers above) is required to board the ship for this cruise.  But generally, you are not required to carry your passport with you in Ensenada.  Some choose to leave it in the safe and carry other photo ID with them.  Others feel more comfortable always having their passport on them when in a foreign country.

1 hour ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Per Celebrity and the State Dept, since it is a "closed loop cruise" starting in a US port and ending in a US port, you do not have to have a passport.  You will need a government issued ID like a Driver License and your Birth Certificate.

From the Celebrity website on documents needed for travel:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

While true that it isn't required for leaving or  re-entry into the US, that is not to say that it may or not be required in foreign ports. You can take your cruise, but could possibly be denied entry at any port that is non US. The requirement for a passport is totally dependent on the foreign port you are visiting. All that is not to say that it will be asked for, but...

4 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

While true that it isn't required for leaving or  re-entry into the US, that is not to say that it may or not be required in foreign ports. You can take your cruise, but could possibly be denied entry at any port that is non US. The requirement for a passport is totally dependent on the foreign port you are visiting. All that is not to say that it will be asked for, but...

Although I am an advocate for never traveling internationally without a passport, the cruise exception is in place because of agreements made between the US and Mexico, Canada and certain Caribbean countries.  So I don't see Ensenada just randomly starting to deny cruisers without a passport entry.  (They also greatly depend on the tourism.)  That said, there are closed loop cruises that go to countries that are not part of those official agreements.  So you have to know your itinerary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Generally if a passport is required for a port, passengers without one aren't allowed to embark on the cruise to begin with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SNMK said:

Will bring my passport as I think it's easier to carry that instead of my birth certificate.

With all due respect, if you have a passport, why are are you even asking about traveling with a birth certificate?

Traveling with a passport makes everything about your trip so much easier - from registering online, to check-in, to showing your documents to the CBP officers when you return from your cruise. Using your passport is easy, it streamlines the process, it is the gold standard in travel.

• Like 2