Temperatures on Queen Mary 2 Southampton - New York in July

Frank183

38 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

One more question. I just received an email from Cunard that I could choose my favourite dinner time on their website, but I just can't seem find this section, can anybody advise?

Thanks a lot and best regards
Frank

It's on your My Cunard page.  Booking Summary Tab then scroll down to just under the Pre-Cruise Checklist, there are two tabs for Bed Configuration and Dining Choice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NYCSev20 said:

It's on your My Cunard page.  Booking Summary Tab then scroll down to just under the Pre-Cruise Checklist, there are two tabs for Bed Configuration and Dining Choice.

Thank you so much, I just can't seem to find it. Would anybody have a screenshot? Can we do this also during checkin?

• Like 1

One more thing (yes, I'm unsatiable...): I'm hoping to meet some interesting people, as I assume that the majority of the passengers will have a certain... "standard". Is it common to talk to people in the bar, restaurant or just on the deck or do people (couples, families) rather want to be for themselves?

6 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

One more thing (yes, I'm unsatiable...): I'm hoping to meet some interesting people, as I assume that the majority of the passengers will have a certain... "standard". Is it common to talk to people in the bar, restaurant or just on the deck or do people (couples, families) rather want to be for themselves?

Just now, NE John said:
7 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Don’t worry so much about planning for every event and contingency (something I am guilty of!).  Enjoy the daily flow of the ship and any surprises that come with it. 
Yes, you can certainly meet some very interesting and nice people onboard, starting with those dining near you. Then you have dance lessons, card games, crafts, trivia, bars…

They’ll be no shortage of socializing with others. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frank183 said:

If you're sailing Solo and don't want to dine alone, I suggest fixed dining and a larger table, 8 or 10, that way you will have the same dinner guests every night

9 hours ago, rakkor said:

If you're sailing Solo and don't want to dine alone, I suggest fixed dining and a larger table, 8 or 10, that way you will have the same dinner guests every night

I'm travelling with my wife, but I thought it might be a good thing to meet some new people. I just didn't know if people rather want to be for themselves. Well, let's see...

• Like 1

Just now, Frank183 said:

I'm travelling with my wife, but I thought it might be a good thing to meet some new people. I just didn't know if people rather want to be for themselves. Well, let's see...

I always chat to people at adjacent tables in the dining room, and often a relationship develops. I also chat to people nearby having morning coffee in the Queens Grill Lounge. I think on the whole people are happy to chat. It is often interesting to talk to people from different countries.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I always chat to people at adjacent tables in the dining room, and often a relationship develops. I also chat to people nearby having morning coffee in the Queens Grill Lounge. I think on the whole people are happy to chat. It is often interesting to talk to people from different countries.

That sounds great!!!

We have a fixed dining time of 6.  We asked for a table of 6.  This turned out to be a group of three tables for two set adjacent to each other but not touching.  The first night I ate by myself since gf was resting and had already eaten.  No one was at the other tables.  The formal night, we sat next to a couple from Scotland.  Then the next night we sat next to two sisters from England.  Then halfway through dinner another couple was sat next us in the empty table.  It appears that we he other tables around us are being used for anytime dining.  At breakfast we’ve luckily sat with the same people each day.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

We have a fixed dining time of 6.  We asked for a table of 6.  This turned out to be a group of three tables for two set adjacent to each other but not touching.  The first night I ate by myself since gf was resting and had already eaten.  No one was at the other tables.  The formal night, we sat next to a couple from Scotland.  Then the next night we sat next to two sisters from England.  Then halfway through dinner another couple was sat next us in the empty table.  It appears that we he other tables around us are being used for anytime dining.  At breakfast we’ve luckily sat with the same people each day.  

That sounds like what happened to us at dinner. Breakfast is always open seating so it's unusual to sit with the same people. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Frank 

We also met some lovely American people on a previous cruise over dinner.At the end of the cruise we promised to meet up.We have just done that whilst they were in Southampton before they sailed home.We will be together to celebrate this Christmas and New Year in the Caribbean.Of course, on the QM2.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

Hi Frank 

We also met some lovely American people on a previous cruise over dinner.At the end of the cruise we promised to meet up.We have just done that whilst they were in Southampton before they sailed home.We will be together to celebrate this Christmas and New Year in the Caribbean.Of course, on the QM2.

That sounds great!!! The thing is, my wife and me we have our friends and aquaintances who are just great people, but of course I wouldn't mind to get out of my personal bubble and just talk to some new and interesting people. Usually however, the classical "Mallorca" tourist isn't exactly the type of person I really want to connect to. So I thought, that people who do a trip like this will probably live to some other standards, you know...

1 hour ago, Frank183 said:

That sounds great!!! The thing is, my wife and me we have our friends and aquaintances who are just great people, but of course I wouldn't mind to get out of my personal bubble and just talk to some new and interesting people. Usually however, the classical "Mallorca" tourist isn't exactly the type of person I really want to connect to. So I thought, that people who do a trip like this will probably live to some other standards, you know...

Try not to go on any Cunard trip with preconceived notions of who is a typical Cunard passenger, especially from an American perspective sailing on a more “British” ship. There are very few snobby or obnoxious pax onboard. There are some though but those few shouldn’t detract from your time onboard.
Most people are friendly and relaxed and, in the evenings, look elegant with the ship looking great. 

Go open minded and enjoy the daily flow. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, techteach said:

Hmmmm.. what is a Mallorca tourist? I need to determine if I am one. Thank you @NE John for helping @Frank183

I define it as an overweight bloke in ugly T-shirt and shorts and white socks who starts drinking at 10am and only can talk about football if at all...

6 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

I define it as an overweight bloke in ugly T-shirt and shorts and white socks who starts drinking at 10am and only can talk about football if at all...

I can’t imagine you’ve ever been to Mallorca. 🙂

• Haha 1

@Frank183 It’s unclear where you are going to/from. If you have luggage do not use public transit, especially during rush hours. That leaves a taxi, private car, or Uber. I was forced to learn to use Uber last week while in NYC, and it was doable and cost the same as a taxi. For transport from our hotel to the port I splurge for a private car so I can be sure it will hold all of our luggage. There is a water taxi, but I don’t know if it would be better than the other options. I hope this is the information you need.