Quantum reviews - really that bad?

As you might have guessed from my previous posts (thanks to everyone who replied) we are going on Quantum to Alaska soon.

There are many poor reviews making me panic….. is it that bad , or is it just people who have had issues are writing about them.

All we want is a clean ship, great scenery and the odd show and non alcoholic drink… food doesn’t bother us 

please reassure - thanks 

We enjoyed 2 cruises last year on Quantum.  I wouldn’t concern myself with all of the complaints.  It seems like most will complain, but not post the positives.  I am sure that you will have a great time.

• Like 1

We were on QOTS two weeks ago (19Jun-26Jun).

I'd describe the quality of the food as Golden Corral with Flair, including the main dining room. 

Presentation and service in the MDR were great, but the quality simply was not there.

Outside the food, the ship was fine aside from the wait for elevators, and that's going to be cyclical on any ship at peak times.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

I just got off Quantum this past Monday.  The ship and service were top notch.  Our dining room staff was some of the best I've had since the restart.  Great bar staff at Pool Bar and Schooner.  Kate at Cafe 270 was an amazing barista.  All were personable and I enjoyed spending time with them.  The only issue we encountered was the North Star was having issues throughout the week.  When we finally got a reservation for the last day, we went up to find it was closed again and would not re-open.  

Now, on this cruise there were less than 250 Diamond, D+ and Pinnacle.  In fact, over 3000 had no C&A status.  So bad reviews may be people expecting something the product isn't.  It was my first Alaska cruise so the experience was new for me as well.  But the ship and staff were some of the best.  You should have nothing to worry about.

• Like 5

Earlier this year, we were on the Quantum TransPacific, from Brisbane, Australia to Vancouver, Canada. The ship was in great shape and the crew was outstanding.

* I gained 18 pounds. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We sailed the Quantum to Alaska last year and had a wonderful time.  This was our first time to Alaska on a Quantum class ship and enjoyed it so much we booked the Ovation to Alaska for this August. 

• Like 1

We cruised Quantum Memorial Day Week, with our family group of 4 seniors, 4 adults, and 2 girls 8 and 14. We all had a great cruise. DH and I have cruised often, mostly Royal and are D+.

2 of the adults and both girls had cruised before.

My thoughts:

It's become almost "trendy" to complain about the food; we all found choices that worked for us both in Windjammer and MDR. I'm aware that there have been some menu changes, but nothing was drastically different than our many previous cruises. The dining room staff was very accommodating to our large table, making us all feel welcome. We loved the daily seafood soups served in bread bowls in the Windjammer at lunchtime. A very special treat every day! Clam chowder, mixed seafood, etc. Certainly there were plenty of daily choices in both venues, and DH had no trouble accommodating his need for gluten free, and one son's seafood allergy.

Some took part in the bumper cars, I-fly, and Northstar, all at no charge. The line for bumper cars was long, but moved quickly. We booked Northstar and I-Fly on the app on the night before we wanted to go;  Northstar was a hit with all of us and the 14YO loved I-Fly.

The ship is in very good condition and very clean. Most of us did not mind once a day cabin service, but, I did miss 2X a day ice; I asked for it on the first day but it frequently didn't happen. Small problems! We asked for printed Daily Compass and received it every day; the app is great, but I still love the Compass.

The shows were not  what I usually expect, but the performers were very talented, and sets and costumes gorgeous!  I didn't like that the main show Starwater was not appropriate for the young girls; too much skin and too much pelvic thrusting(JMHO). The comedian and the ventriloquist were  very entertaining.

Both embarkation and disembarkation were very smooth. We had signed up in advance for Seattle Port Valet, but some in our group missed out. It was nice not handling our luggage until we arrived in Atlanta. I highly recommend portvalet.com  There is no charge for the service, only whatever your airline charges for bags.

I am by far a fan of Oasis Class ships over Quantum class, especially for the layout of the ship and the entertainment, but I found the cruise to be a very good one. Don't let the complainers worry you, you will have a wonderful cruise!

Barb in GA

• Like 3