Booking shows/dining on the kiosks vs. Booking in person

quagmire0

First time cruising on Norwegian (On the Escape). I know that it is important to book ASAP, as shows and reservations can go quickly.  Assuming I find an open kiosk as I make my way onboard, does it make more sense to make my reservations that way vs. going up to the box office/restaurant where reservations are being done in person? I just wasn't sure if A. The kiosks would be working and/or B. If they would allow me to book everything that the in person option would. If the kiosk works for everything, I'd aim to do that instead of running around the ship. 🙂 

1 minute ago, quagmire0 said:

First time cruising on Norwegian (On the Escape). I know that it is important to book ASAP, as shows and reservations can go quickly.  Assuming I find an open kiosk as I make my way onboard, does it make more sense to make my reservations that way vs. going up to the box office/restaurant where reservations are being done in person? I just wasn't sure if A. The kiosks would be working and/or B. If they would allow me to book everything that the in person option would. If the kiosk works for everything, I'd aim to do that instead of running around the ship. 🙂 

I'm sure the kiosks work, but I always board on the early side and prefer to go to the Social/Headliners and book my entertainment directly and ask any questions I might have. I then walk across to Teppenyaki and book my specialty dining reservations in person. If you board early, this can all be done within 15 minutes and I've never not gotten good days and times. Then we're off to muster and then lunch in the mdr!!

Just my preference.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm sure the kiosks work, but I always board on the early side and prefer to go to the Social/Headliners and book my entertainment directly and ask any questions I might have. I then walk across to Teppenyaki and book my specialty dining reservations in person. If you board early, this can all be done within 15 minutes and I've never not gotten good days and times. Then we're off to muster and then lunch in the mdr!!

Just my preference.

That’s really helpful. I’ll be on my first NCL cruise in a few weeks and was wondering about booking entertainment and finalizing specialty dining. Are all the MDR locations usually open for lunch on embarkation? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, laura85 said:

That’s really helpful. I’ll be on my first NCL cruise in a few weeks and was wondering about booking entertainment and finalizing specialty dining. Are all the MDR locations usually open for lunch on embarkation? 

Either Taste or Savor mdr will be open for lunch.

A lot of people tend to go to the buffet and it gets incredibly crowded.

The mdr is usually mostly empty when we've gone and it's quiet. It's a nice comfortable experience and sets you up for the rest of your first day on board.

We've done the Local/Osheehans for our first meal too and it was fun, but noisier and a little more hectic.

15 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Either Taste or Savor mdr will be open for lunch.

A lot of people tend to go to the buffet and it gets incredibly crowded.

The mdr is usually mostly empty when we've gone and it's quiet. It's a nice comfortable experience and sets you up for the rest of your first day on board.

We've done the Local/Osheehans for our first meal too and it was fun, but noisier and a little more hectic.

Seems to me that enough Youtubers have told people to go to O'Sheehan's instead of the buffet that O'Sheehan's has become just as crowded. 😄 At least, based on some reviews.  I don't mind some noise, but if the staff is overwhelmed, then that is going to lessen the experience and I'd probably prefer to go to Taste/Savor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quagmire0 said:

Seems to me that enough Youtubers have told people to go to O'Sheehan's instead of the buffet that O'Sheehan's has become just as crowded. 😄 At least, based on some reviews.  I don't mind some noise, but if the staff is overwhelmed, then that is going to lessen the experience and I'd probably prefer to go to Taste/Savor. 

Agreed! When the staff is overwhelmed at O'Sheehans/Local, it can take longer to eat there than an mdr. That's why we went directly to Taste/Savor last summer on Joy, when we boarded. There was 7 of us and we had quite the enjoyable lunch (and cocktails!!!).

I'm sailing Joy in 16 days and there'll be 13 in our group. I know most of us will go to mdr for lunch, but we've got 1 stubborn family of 4 who've already said they're going to the buffet. Lol!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm sailing Joy in 16 days and there'll be 13 in our group. I know most of us will go to mdr for lunch, but we've got 1 stubborn family of 4 who've already said they're going to the buffet. Lol!

Why are they stubborn?  Can't they decide where they want to eat?  If I were traveling in a large group, I would likely look for opportunities to get away from the group.

even easier is to just use the NCL app on your phone.  Once you get connected to the ship's wifi, the app will change to onboard mode, and you can book your dinners and shows.  All while sitting at the bar 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why are they stubborn?  Can't they decide where they want to eat?  If I were traveling in a large group, I would likely look for opportunities to get away from the group.

As you say.  Who are we to question their decision?  However, they have 16 days to find ways to get away from the group. Choosing the buffet on embarkation day would not seem to be the most logical option for that goal.

13 hours ago, quagmire0 said:

Pro Tip: Upon embarkation, immediately go to the Box Office, Deck 7, Forward, Starboard entrance to the Theater. You can get an entertainment menu that shows all theater shows (reservable and non-reservable), comedy club shows (including Howl at the Moon), Syd Norman's shows, and complimentary dinner shows in the Supper Club. 

Book the shows and dinner shows you want there. Then go to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 Mid-Ship) to make/fix dinner reservations around the reservable and non-reservable shows you want to see. 

Here's a sample menu from the Escape in May 2023

IMG_4386.thumb.jpeg.6743c6b7acc49f74ba3c0542e937d78f.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

And no, on 2 of 3 of our cruises this year, the app and Kiosks were not fully loaded when embarkation started. Don't know when everything was loaded, but we could not book without talking to a real person. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

even easier is to just use the NCL app on your phone.  Once you get connected to the ship's wifi, the app will change to onboard mode, and you can book your dinners and shows.  All while sitting at the bar 

Seems like excellent advise and will use it. You got me at "while sitting at the bar". 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

And no, on 2 of 3 of our cruises this year, the app and Kiosks were not fully loaded when embarkation started. Don't know when everything was loaded, but we could not book without talking to a real person. 

This past week on the Joy we embarked from NYC at 3pm. The kiosks were not fully loaded and the app was down until well into the evening. I was able to book a few items through the kiosks but not everything. Also, both the kiosks and the app (when working) allow bookings but not cancellations. You have to call or go in person to cancel. This left me wondering how many people had multiple reservations, made by mistake in the app which is easy to do, and didn’t bother cancelling or were unable to get through to do so. 

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, luckily for us, you're not in our group. Lmao 😂! We travel with people who like to stick together and have fun as a group! 

And they're stubborn because those of us that have cruised before are trying to save them some frustration. 

Anyway, we'll be fine. 

15 days till Joy! 

• Like 1