new Persian Gulf itineraries

Doh15

It looks like Windstar is moving the Star Legend from the Caribbean to the Persian Gulf this winter.  Maybe part of it is being based in North America, and having gay travel companions who may not be comfortable in those countries, but I have absolutely no interest in these itineraries and I am disappointed there will be fewer Caribbean options.  

We won't consider any of these cruises, but simply because we once stopped a few nights in Dubai, on the way to East Africa. It was such a disappointing tourism experience that we have no interest in the other Emirates. Oversimplification, besides the crushing heat, a building that is over 40 years old in Dubai is just about "historic."

I wonder if there is some sort of "subsidy" from the Emirate governments, to promote tourism and increase awareness of these destinations. I also wonder about air conditioning on the ships that I've been on!

We won’t go there either human rights and women’s rights. No desire. I love WS but that area of the world not in my future and I am sorry for that I am very  a curious person who loves learning and love cultures. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Strenz said:

We won’t go there either human rights and women’s rights. No desire. I love WS but that area of the world not in my future and I am sorry for that I am very  a curious person who loves learning and love cultures. 

I couldn't agree more.  I won't go there either for the same reasons.

• Like 3

@Doh15 it might be worse than uncomfortable for your travel companion: it could be actually unsafe. I agree with above; no interest in bringing my tourism $$$ to such a place. There's a big difference between being curious about different cultures and financially supporting oppressive dictatorships or monarchies. No thank you.

• Like 4

What they are thinking is let’s do something maybe a little more interesting than the same islands in the Caribbean one more time, Athens to Venice, or let’s try Venice to Athens just to mix it up, how about Iceland, Iceland, or let’s try Iceland.

We have been to Dubai twice and we find it a fascinating spot and we plan to return and encourage our friends to do so as well.

Edited by Barrycat
  • Like 4

I understand that the places in the Middle

East must be fascinating with all that ancient history and cultural differences. I love that stuff, however, I am of the mind that  human rights violations, treatment of women and foreign workers, freedom of expression is far more important to me. I get it that my paltry sum of money will not make a difference to those countries  but I can more easily live with myself and my beliefs by going other places.  I also think those who want to go to Venice, Iceland, Caribbean, Athens etc nothing at all wrong with that. What is interesting and  tolerable    to you may be different for others, it does not need to be put down. Happy Sailing

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at one of these cruises I’ve been to that part of world before once on a land based holiday once on a cruise , for me I love the short haul from the U.K. and am no longer keen on a Caribbean cruise especially .via Miami .

ALL countries have issues , even the developed Western ones !

I’ve never been with Windstar before but these itineraries interest me so I can get a bit of Winter sun.