Pool Float, Iron, Door Hook, liquor?

Can I use a small "pool float" in the pool?

Are we allowed to bring an "iron", or do I need to smuggle it in?

Is there a "hook" already on the back of the bathroom door?

--------------------------------------

Here is the booze question...

I am going to try to smuggle liquor in small coke bottles in my checked luggage. I would like to try to bring sodas too. We are going out of GALVESTON, TX on Rhapsody of the Seas. Is it true that that port is more strict about checking all luggage and taking liquor out of your "checked" bags?

We've cruised out of Galveston several times and have never had a problem with them taking our sodas or booze from our CHECKED luggage. We've even taken sodas in a cooler (no ice) and checked the cooler. I have heard of folks having liquor in their carry-on luggage and it being confiscated so I wouldn't even risk that.

There's really no room in the pools even for a very small float so I wouldn't bother.

An iron??? We've never needed one. Pack your clothes on the hangers with dry cleaning or even trash bags over them and there won't be any wrinkles. For t-shirts, what we do is spray them with Downy wrinkle release the night before we plan on wearing them and those are fine also. Walmart has the travel size bottles of the wrinkle release.

There are 3 small hooks, really not even hooks, more like knobs, on the bathroom door.

Hope this helps! The Rhapsody is a wonderful ship.......enjoy yourselves!

Julie

We're going to try it for our upcoming cruise. We have portable flasks we're using, and we're going to pack it in our checked bags. If they get confiscated, oh well we tried.

I recommend you just go for it, and the worst that would happen is they confiscate it and you get it back at the end of the cruise. You won't be arrested or fined or anything.

Personally I think with this subject you will not get a good answer on these boards because if you get some responses that they brought liquor on board in their luggage and didn't have a problem, it still doesn't mean that you won't have a problem.

The only thing we know for certain is that the rules state it is NOT allowed, and it is the cruiseship's right to not let you on with it. If you decide to smuggle liquor on board, you are taking a risk and you may or may not get away with it.

Also, on March cruises, has anyone noticed it being a big "spring break" cruise on any of the ships? Again, we are leaving on Rhapsody of the Seas on Sunday.

I have read horror stories about 780 kids of all ages on one cruise, underage drinking, kids hanging out on stairways, running, yelling in the halls, etc etc etc., with employees saying nothing.

I love kids, but I just want to be on a relaxing cruise.

And just so you know - irons are forbidden to bring on. They are a fire hazard. All ships have a 'laundry room' usually with an ironing board and iron for use.

The pools are much too small to use any type of float. As a matter of fact, there is very little room to actually swim. Imagine, a few hundred passengers trying to get in there at one time.

Irons are not allowed on board. Threy are considered a fire hazzard.

Other lines have self service laundries with irons, but not RCI.

They won't check your bags for an iron, but policy discourages their use.

Sometimes I bring a travel iron that only works on a 'cool' setting; but usually after a day or two I totally go native and don't care if I'm wrinkly! :D

I usually sail out of Miami and I shop for wine there. I've packed wine bottles in my checked luggage and I've never had a problem. I don't think I would chance it with my carry-on luggage. If you put it in your checked luggage there really is no need for concealing it in flasks, coke cans, etc.

I always bring a small travel iron and I pack that in my checked luggage as well.

We always bring 3-4 bottles of wine with us in our carry on for in room consumption. In 10 cruises, never been confiscated.

Irons are considered a fire hazard, but I bring a small travel one just in case. Like any electrical appliance, please be sure to turn it off when done using.

Hooks are on the back of the bathroom door. I do bring a shoe hanging bag to hook onot the closet door. Great to store shoes and other small items (blow dryer, extra sunscreen, etc).

Enjoy your trip.

In answer to your Spring Break quation: Yes, March is the Spring break time for most colleges and many other schools. Here in the Southern states ourbSrping Break extends to from the 1st to 2nd week of April. Many Northern schools have Spring break throughout March.

I suspect you will encounter a large number of kids, especially since your are departing froma USA port. In general there are less kids on cruises that depart from San Juan.

I've travelled (with and without my kids) during peak April Break and it's all been good. Just have fun.

Irons are considered a fire hazard, but I bring a small travel one just in case. Like any electrical appliance, please be sure to turn it off when done using.

Please be sure to turn it off when done using???? Duh? I'm sorry but I might be on the same cruise as the person you are giving advice to. I might just have a little bit of a hard time falling asleep at night wondering: I hope they turned off the iron.:eek:

QVC sells a travel steamer (not an iron) that stays cool to the touch. You steam your clothes on the hanger, or steam them flat like you were ironing.

No fire hazard.

Ixnay on the oatflay...pool is teeny.

I'm very wishy-washy on the booze smuggling subject. On one hand, I think it's very, very tacky......but, on the other hand, if I was spending a BUNCH of $$ on booze, I can see why bringing your own would be desirable. Also, I think RCCL is trying to scrounge more revenue by disallowing pax to bring their own. Oh, yeah, and the George Smith incident where he brought absinthe on board. They might be thinking of the liability end of it, too.

We did Rhapsody for spring break last year and had a great time. There were many, many children on the ship but they behaved themselves during our week.

The very next week some friends of mine were on board and there were some mischief makers that threw chairs overboard.

It just depends. You won't know until you go... Have fun! :D

If you are disturbed by over the top kid/teen behavior, then definitely report it. Too many people just suffer in silence, and that's how it continues. If they don't know about it, they can't do anything about it.

We had a group of teen congregating on the stairs on one of our cruises once. DH just waded through them with a loud "excuse me, excuse me" the whole way down. Deliberately took the path right through the middle of them to make sure they knew it was a BAD spot to sit. Some hands came reeeeeeealllly close to getting stepped on.

If it happened again, then we would have reported it to security.

RCI does not offer Irons and ironing boards but does have a service to have things pressed. I iron all before I go, wrap it with tissue and dry cleaner bags and usually all is fine. I have a travel iron I take but it is a steamer too, I find I seldom use it and immediately unplug it, even if it does not get really hot. I dont take chances at home and am not going to on the ship. Irons are a fire hazard, even at home, and on a ship, people tend to forget things since they are on vacation.

I agree with the smoking thing, I am a smoker but I dont smoke in bed EVER. I am very careful with them, and try not to smoke in the cabin at all. I used a glass with water and they didnt like that at all. So I let them bring me the ashtray and usually keep a bottle of water handy to use to put them out in. I really dont want my vacation ruined either because of a careless fire.

As for spring break, did it one time, had a bad experience and do all I can not to do it again. Rhapsody usually does not have as many children as other ships but during spring break can have a lot. My experience is parents let the kids run wild, not all parents but I know a lot do. They forget just because they are on a ship does not mean the kids are safe. Things can happen on a ship too. This can happen on any cruise so just go and enjoy and dont worry. If the kids are out of control, report them! The one I was on the Captain finally called ALL families into the show lounge and told them if their kids were running wild and got reported the whole family would be confined to cabin until the next port and all of them would be put off without compensation. It was so bad you could not even take an elevator and they would knock you down running up and down the stairs. A few times I had to say something to the kids because parents were no where to be found. It is too bad that a few can make the rest look bad, when there are a lot of good parents out there that do watch the kids and dont just let them run free.

Not sure why one should bother bringing an iron. You are on vacation and do you really want to spend time ironing? If you are concerned about your clothes for formal night, put your items in the laundry bag that is provided in your stateroom as soon as you arrive. My DH did this and the shirt was returned the very next day - nice pressed and starched and it only cost $1.50. I am sorry but that is so little money when you think about having to find the self-serve ironing area. Enjoy your cruise and don't let the "spring breaker" - break up your fun!

So far as hooks go, I brought a couple and did find them useful. They do have a few hooks/tiny knobs on the wall just inside the cabin door and on the back of the bathroom door. It would have been just fine without the ones I brought, but I used them because I had them.

I did not use the shoe rack thing so many suggest bringing. The bathroom cabinet had sufficient storage for everything but my makeup, which I kept in a desk drawer.

Also, if you're a big coffee drinker, take or buy an insulated cup. Not to keep it hot, but to keep you from getting burnt. The promenade "free" coffee shop doesn't provide lids or those liner things that slip over the cup.

People crack me up.... "smuggle one on"... RCCL isn't asking you not to have an IRON to be mean and tell you that you aren't allowed to iron. Jeez.... It is a huge hazard and one that has caused great trouble in the past. They actually tell you not to bring one on for YOUR safety.

On the last few cruises I've been, I brought some blow-up pool noodles (called Doodles) and used them in the ship's pool. They are great fun when the ship is rocking! Each time I've brought them along, everyone wanted to know if I bought them on the ship or where I got them. When you sit on them or wrap them around under your arms, you won't take up any more space than the next person in the pool. I have often joked that I should buy a big supply and open up a concession and make a big killing on them because everybody wanted them. Here's the link to purchasing them through the internet: http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Floats-Toys-and-Sports/Inflatable-Pool-Floats/Doodles-Inflatable-Pool-Toys/

Archived