Still learning.. Chair Hogs

rawley2

I am still trying to pick a new Cruise Line after my last Carnival disaster so I'm just doing some research.

I have seen nothing on this board about chair hogs? Are they a problem or dose Celebrity not allow them?

Thanks for you help.

I think the chair hog population may be smaller on Celebrity simply because you have less kids and less of a party/booze cruise atmosphere. That is not a slam against Carnival - the two lines are just different in the type of cruiser they attract. Celebrity also goes around and picks up thrown towels so the hogs have to be creative in marking their territory.That being said, they do exist but I've never had a problem.

I'm sorry to have to tell you but yes...we have been on celebrity cruises where chair hogs have been a major problem. It actually caused us to consider switching cruiselines ..but...When weighing the pros and cons, even with chair hogs we decided Celebrity was still our best choice.

Yes, chair hogs, drinkers, and kids on Celebrity, just like all other ships. Don't be afraid to ask the pool attendent to remove a towel from a chair if no one is there for awhile. We had a pool attendent try to take my husbands chair (he was in the pool) on the Carribean Princess! He got really nasty, but we kept the chair. :p

I dont know about celebrity yet but Ive been on rccl and ncl and both were bad then I went on Holand America twice never had a problem (I think they were all napping) just kidding actually loved Holand America less crowds and you could actually get in a pool and chair!!

I am starting a club.;) We will collect towels, goggles, used books, etc. once they have been abandoned for over a couple of hours.:) I am looking for a treasurer that can work out a deal with the cruise-line to sell back towels at half of what line charges those who lost them. Great way of financing the club, and providing a public service. And the books will go to augment the ship library. :) :) :)

There were plenty of chair hogs on our two Celebrity cruises--almost as many as on our three Royal Caribbean ones. I did not see as many on our four Princess cruises. I think it was because we went on larger Princess ships with more pools--some just for adults.

Fortunately, I'm more of a shade person and enjoyed the thalassotherapy pool on the Century every day and skipped the regular pools.

On our recent Infinity cruise I had finally had it! I picked up the book and towel that had been sitting there for over an hour and gave them to the attendent saying I had observed them there for over an hour. He graciously took same and said if anyone comes to us just to tell them to see him. I really hate to be like that but reserving chairs from 7am and not showing by 10 is a little much...

Lynne

Infinity

Constellation

Galaxy

1 July Constellation

that a woman was approached by someone who finally showed up and tried to claim the chair. She simply replied "call security" I absolutely love that!!! That is the best line ever. Feel free to use it. I doubt very many will actually try it!

I concur with the others. Deck-chair saving was rampant on our Infinity cruise a few weeks ago -- the worst of any of our cruises. They were even in the adults-only T-pool area. There were only two times I got a chair. One was a port day when most were on shore, and the other was when I saw a woman leaving her chair to go to lunch, and asked her if I could use it until she came back. Happy hunting!

This past Feb, my wife and I were sitting near the pool and enjoying the sun. There was a family sitting near us who were using 7 or 8 loungers. They had towels, books, dirty dishes, etc on the chairs they were not sitting on. There was a total of 4 people in their group. Most of the time the kids were not even with them. Over the period of a hour of so, I watched and heard numerous people ask if they could sit there. Everytime the answer was the same. " no we are using those" I could take it no more! I proceeded to the pool and performed a spectacular cannon ball into the pool. I carefully aimed my body in the direction of this couple of chair hogs. They were drenched and angry when I exited the pool area and returned to my chair next to theirs. The man expressed to me his unhappiness. I looked at him and responded with these words. " if you do not wish to get wet, don't sit so close to the pool" Shortly there after, they gathered their things and left. I have to admit, it felt really good.

I am not afraid as well, to watch the area around me and if it appears after a great amount of time that no one is using a coveted chair, I simply take there towels and items and throw them into the dirty towel bin. I figure 45-60 minutes is plenty of time to go eat or use the restroom. I personally am sick and tired of people who pay the same as I and yet feel they are superior and that rules do not apply to them.

On that same cruise that I meantioned earlier, I found a similar mindset in the show lounge. Numerous seats saved for those who came in 30 minutes later than everybody else. I simply say, I do not see anyone sitting here, and sit down. It is time to take back what the selfish and inconsiderate have stolen.

You do not want me to even get started about cell phone etiquite. Thats all we need is more of those on our cruise ships.

Let's respect one another and we will all get along better.

From Minnesota nice

You do not want me to even get started about cell phone etiquite. Thats all we need is more of those on our cruise ships.

From Minnesota nice

I seen the cell phone thing last week pretty bad. (Carnival Cruise)

I was sitting at the the bar on the lido deck because there was not a chair in sight. This DRUNK WOMEN was sitting at the bar, on a cell phone, yelling at the bar tender every time he started the blender.

I must admit that made me drink faster and always order frozen drinks. I even bought a few for others just to make him run the blender. LOL

Heck, that was the highlight of that trip.:D

Chair Hogs and Walkie-Talkie users....Urgggggh. In Jan. on Summit, there was a woman at the cooking demonstration (BTW, it was great!), and her walkie-talkie was continuously beeping. She kept telling the caller she was busy and not to call again, but lo & behold, it didn't stop! Finally, the "Chef" said he'd wait for her to finish her call if needed....Immediate silence.

Karyn

Chair Hogs and Walkie-Talkie users....Urgggggh. In Jan. on Summit, there was a woman at the cooking demonstration (BTW, it was great!), and her walkie-talkie was continuously beeping. She kept telling the caller she was busy and not to call again, but lo & behold, it didn't stop! Finally, the "Chef" said he'd wait for her to finish her call if needed....Immediate silence.

Karyn

I wish those who are not Transplant Surgeons, Ambassadors, etc. would learn how to turn off their cellphones!! I keep wishing for a bolt of lightning to strike those who use them in movie theatres, lecture halls, etc. :mad:

Regarding 'chair hogs' - if you can identify them early, arrange to arrive ahead of them in the area they frequent. Then pour a small bit of ordinary water on the 'choice seat', and announce sweetly to them as they arrive and begin to sit down on target, that 'a child just had an accident on that

seat'. (Save your evil chuckle until they are out of visual & auditory range). ;)

The whole chair hog issue never ceases to amaze us. Imagine being on vacation and feeling the need to get up at 5am every morning to mark your territory by placing a worn sneaker, torn tee shirt, empty bottle of suntan lotion, half-eaten apple or half of a paperback book or magazine on a lounge(s) you have absolutely no intention of occupying until three in the afternoon, if at all. Kudos to all the anti-chair-hog activists out there who've found ways to beat the beasts at their own game!

On the Summit, we found more empty seats by the smoking side. I would move the ashtray to another table and park myself there. I only had someone smoking by me once and it was windy so it didn't bother me.

The "managemant" did announce in the theater 2X not to save seats there. I was really surprised by that as I had never heard them do it before.

Been on a few cruises. The only time where the "HOG" problem was dealt with well was on Navigator. The Pool Patrol was very aggressive and it was a delight. On an Infinity cruise I wrote Mr. Hanrahan and sent him pictures. We even had people on that cruise that put their names on the chairs (over 12 poolside) at about 7:30am and did not arrive until about 10:30 everyday!Got a polite BS letter in return. Based on the comments above nothing is still being done to control these rude people.

EVERY cruise has chair hogs. I commend those who just aren't going to take it anymore!

That said, I was on ONE and only one cruise that did not have chair hogs: This past January on a 12 day GALAXY cruise. To my utter astonishment, I could actually walk into the pool area and find a chair within a minute or two that wasn't being 'claimed'. I wasn't the only one who noticed this, either. As people would walk by, they would exclaim their pleasure at being able to find a chair ... for once. This was a daily occurence, too. Not a fluke on this cruise.

If only all my future cruises could have the same type of considerate passengers.

Cheers~

This past Feb, my wife and I were sitting near the pool and enjoying the sun. There was a family sitting near us who were using 7 or 8 loungers. They had towels, books, dirty dishes, etc on the chairs they were not sitting on. There was a total of 4 people in their group. Most of the time the kids were not even with them. Over the period of a hour of so, I watched and heard numerous people ask if they could sit there. Everytime the answer was the same. " no we are using those" I could take it no more! I proceeded to the pool and performed a spectacular cannon ball into the pool. I carefully aimed my body in the direction of this couple of chair hogs. They were drenched and angry when I exited the pool area and returned to my chair next to theirs. The man expressed to me his unhappiness. I looked at him and responded with these words. " if you do not wish to get wet, don't sit so close to the pool" Shortly there after, they gathered their things and left. I have to admit, it felt really good.

I am not afraid as well, to watch the area around me and if it appears after a great amount of time that no one is using a coveted chair, I simply take there towels and items and throw them into the dirty towel bin. I figure 45-60 minutes is plenty of time to go eat or use the restroom. I personally am sick and tired of people who pay the same as I and yet feel they are superior and that rules do not apply to them.

Let's respect one another and we will all get along better.

From Minnesota nice

1) I applaud you on this.

2) I wish I knew how to do that type of a cannon Ball. :)

There are chair hogs everywhere. But as a small exception to this.

On the extended cruises I have found they are not so prevelant.

That being said the age on over a week extended cruises is a bit higher than the average. So you may not have all the sun worshipers out in force on sea days.

Just off the Galaxy out of Galveston to the Canal.

Saw the chair hog. At work in the early am. They laid everything out very nicely at about 7:00am. I was starting my morining workout. When I came back at 8:00 am all of it was removed. The other group that did mark out chairs were using them the whole time - they lived by the pool. So you could not go after them.

As a whole on the cruise I would say there was very little chair holding by any large groups.

Archived