Drinks Package Discount

Tonyjh

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I think they give a 10% discount if booked online at least 3 days before the cruise starts + the % discount depending on loyalty tier.

Thanks got that, was

wondering if classic packaage ever got below £40

The original drinks package used to be £39.95 pppd originally. It's only been changed in the past few weeks to the new Classic (price increased to £45pppd) and the new Ultimate package. 

In fairness, they have added a few more options to the Classic package. 

Be aware if your cruise does not leave the UK (like the Britannia around Britain cruise I did in June) they will add 20% VAT to the total price. My drinks package for my Britannia cruise came in at £729 and the cruise cost me £695. Ouch!!!

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 8:38 PM, swanseaboy said:

The original drinks package used to be £39.95 pppd originally. It's only been changed in the past few weeks to the new Classic (price increased to £45pppd) and the new Ultimate package. 

In fairness, they have added a few more options to the Classic package. 

Be aware if your cruise does not leave the UK (like the Britannia around Britain cruise I did in June) they will add 20% VAT to the total price. My drinks package for my Britannia cruise came in at £729 and the cruise cost me £695. Ouch!!!

The basic drinks package is now £40.45 pp per day. If we buy it in advance we would get 5% discount but would they then add on 20% as we are leaving from Malta?  If we bought it onboard and used some obc towards it I understand we would only get the 5% on the part not covered by obc. Also, if we decide to pay as we go would we be charged 20% on every drink. I have to admit I really don’t understand why that is the case. Surely the VAT would apply to the UK also. 

I thought VAT only applied to cruises that do not leave the UK. I did the Britannia around Britain cruise in June and they added VAT to the drinks packages on that. It's the only cruise I've been on when they have added VAT to the drinks package and all onboard purchases.

I seem to recall that those guests who bought the package prior to boarding (from home) got it VAT free? I could be wrong on this as I was indeed stung for VAT when I bought the drinks package onboard.

You are correct in that your peninsular discount only applies after all onboard credit has been used up. 

I can’t find any reference to VAT being charged on the P&O website. I can understand it being charged on a UK Itinerary but not on a cruise originating outside of the UK. I don’t think we would consider it as this would mean the basic drinks package would be £54 a day. On our 16 day cruise it would mean £1,728 if I’ve got my sums right (maths was never my strong point) so it really ain’t happening. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandancer said:

I can’t find any reference to VAT being charged on the P&O website. I can understand it being charged on a UK Itinerary but not on a cruise originating outside of the UK. I don’t think we would consider it as this would mean the basic drinks package would be £54 a day. On our 16 day cruise it would mean £1,728 if I’ve got my sums right (maths was never my strong point) so it really ain’t happening. 

VAT is only charged on cruises that originate from UK and only have U K port stops. I have never know be applied otherwise. The Spanish authorities now force a sales tax charge on drinks purchased in Spanish waters but like VAT out of P&O and Cunard’s control. There were problems recently with other lines having to charges guests VAT but that was another issue entirely and due to the cruise lines . 

4 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

VAT is only charged on cruises that originate from UK and only have U K port stops. I have never know be applied otherwise. The Spanish authorities now force a sales tax charge on drinks purchased in Spanish waters but like VAT out of P&O and Cunard’s control. There were problems recently with other lines having to charges guests VAT but that was another issue entirely and due to the cruise lines . 

I thought that some of the Med fly cruises on Azura had the sales tax applied by the Italians.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought that some of the Med fly cruises on Azura had the sales tax applied by the Italians.

Oh I don’t know about the Italian authorities I have only ever cruised Spain and Portugal so not sure what happens in Italian waters