Diving Cozumel with Carnival...

NavyCruiser

Have always dived in Cozumel on all of our previous cruises.

Will be sailing on the brand new Carnival Jubilee in Jan 2024 (ship's first sailing is Dec 23, 2024).  It currently list Roatan as the only avail scuba diving excursion.

But doesn't have certified diving excursion for Cozumel.  

So wondering if Carnival really dropped diving Cozumel entirely, or it's just too early for Carnival to list/schedule since it hasn't started sailing, & maybe add Cozumel diving soon/later?

For those who has cruise other Carnival ships with stops in Cozumel lately, do they have diving excursions in Cozumel currently?

Thanks,

I don't know for sure, but post-COVID there are definitely fewer scuba excursions everywhere.  Honestly, it's easy to do better than the cruise ship excursion (Sand Dollar) in Cozumel. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The dive op that the cruise lines used is no longer doing it.  Cozumel is different from most other destinations as the good reefs, that Cozumel is known for, are on the southern part of the island.  Those reefs are 30-60 minute boat ride from any cruise docks.  The boats in Cozumel, for that reason, usually leave to head south around 8am... which is too early for cruise passengers.  So if a dive op wants to be contract with a cruise line, they have to hold back a boat for later, when the cruise passengers get there.  This is a financial risk for them... not only does gas for boats cost $$$, but they run the risk of not having enough divers to cover that cost as well as staff pay.  And if there are 4-6 cruise ships in ports, like most days, the dive op needs that many boats and crew available, as well as gear since most cruisers will be renting.  

So... in Cozumel, arrange your own diving now with a dive op by e-mail.  There are at least 50+ independent dive ops, most own 1-2 boats, and will be glad to take cruisers if they have a minimum number so as to cover the gas and crew costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would offer a different opinion.  The BEST reefs are 30 minutes away.  But Cozumel is one of the top 10 diving sites in the world, so even their secondary reefs are better than lots of other reefs.  For example, I did 22 dives in Thailand this summer, and the visibility was pretty bad for most of those.  Granted, still cool dives, but nothing like the 80 + feet in Cozumel.  There are many, many dive operators in Cozumel.  Some operate right out of San Miguel. I did 4 dives with a shop there and saw a huge turtle, a 7 foot green moray eel, and lots of other great things-and have great pictures of this to boot.  So I would contact a local shop that dives out of San Miguel and see if you can arrange a later time.  It will probably be cheaper than anything the cruise shop can arrange for yu anyway.  And with a bunch of cruise ships in port, you don't want to get stuck in a taxi driving to the other side of the island anyway.  I did that on a cruise ship once-no fun-I won't do that again! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Since we've already booked to dive Roatan thru Carnival earlier in the cruise, now maybe looking at going to Chankanaab park in Cozumel, relax, & doing a One tank dive there, thru MJ's dive shop.

Priced at $50 - $60 for the One tank, so not bad.

Does anyone knows if MJ's is located right there inside Chankanaab park, & do we need to pre-book with MJ's or just show up?

Thanks,