New York Xmas light trip - 8th December

andrew.crispin

Is anyone willing to share the cost of a limo to see the New York xmas lights on the 8th December. Prices vary, from £460 to £775 for 6 people go to https://www.viator.com/en-GB/New-York-City-tours/Christmas/d687-g7-c22/2 for more info.  It looks like we can have a port pick-up and drop off. This may be better than sitting in a coach.

This is the last leg of the round trip Caribbean departing 19.11.23 for which there is a roll call - you could start one for 8.12.23 east bound crossing. Not sure what time the tours are given likely sail away should be early evening (all being well).  Rockefeller centre tree and surrounding lights and stores such as SAKS etc all accessible during the day but would check on Dyker Heights etc which we have done as a night time tour when staying in NYC. 

As a NY native I would not hire a car for the Rockefeller Center tree or Saks ad where it’s located on 5th Avenue is a parking lot during that time. Take public transportation plus the view is better 

14 hours ago, tony s said:

As a NY native I would not hire a car for the Rockefeller Center tree or Saks ad where it’s located on 5th Avenue is a parking lot during that time. Take public transportation plus the view is better 

I second Tony.  A quick idea is to take an Uber to the South Ferry and a trip on the Statan Island Ferry and back, always great views.  I haven't taken friends on this in a while but you used to be able to stay on in Statan Island and not have to pay for the return. There is a nice tree at the NY Stock Exchange on Wall Street that a lot of people don't see.  From South Ferry take the number 1 subway up to Penn Station. From there it is not too much of a walk to Hearld Square (Macy's), Times Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Sak's and St. Patrick's Cathedral.  After that head down to see Grand Central then on the 4 or 5 subway back down to the South Ferry (Bowling Green stop) and another Uber back to Brooklyn. Not sure what the Ubers would be but could probably do all that for less than $75.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

If starting and ending in lower Manhattan, why not use the ferry from Red Hook to Wall St, and back.

Even better!  I have never used the water taxis or ferries here so I’m not familiar with where they land or how much they cost.  I come to the Wall Street area from Queens every day and use just the subways.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

The ferries are a lot of fun, especially when approaching the QM2 from the water. The fare recently went up, but it's still a good deal: $4 per trip, with free connections to other routes.

So $13.50 round trip from Red Hook to Mid-Town with no traffic.  That’s a great deal!

18 minutes ago, NYCSev20 said:

Plus $2.75 each way up town from Pier 11.

I thought you meant by ferry to E 34th St. Transfers are included, so one fare covers red Hook to Wall St, then Wall St to E 34th.

7 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I thought you meant by ferry to E 34th St. Transfers are included, so one fare covers red Hook to Wall St, then Wall St to E 34th.

Not up to mid town for the Christmas lights and windows.  That’s a hike to and from the 34 st. ferry plus a lot faster by the subway.

I am going to explore the ferries just for fun though.

Frankpo1 That’s really great information we are in New York 21sr Dec After w/b crossing for 1 day on 19 day trip over Christmas/New year. We will look at using the ferry have used it before really great service but so looking forward to seeing NY in Christmas mode. Thanks!

Here's the catch for you, however. You have to prepay your M34 bus fare before you board. When in NY I travel with a Metro card. There's no Metro card vending machine at the 34th St terminal, just one that reads Metro cards. This story says you can pay with coins... I've never tried it, however.

https://www.tracykaler.com/select-bus-service-nyc/#:~:text=SBS or as you'll,on high-traffic bus routes.

3 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Here's the catch for you, however. You have to prepay your M34 bus fare before you board. When in NY I travel with a Metro card. There's no Metro card vending machine at the 34th St terminal, just one that reads Metro cards. This story says you can pay with coins... I've never tried it, however.

https://www.tracykaler.com/select-bus-service-nyc/#:~:text=SBS or as you'll,on high-traffic bus routes.

Several sites say you can use OMNY with card/phone payment on all buses including SBS. They don't give the precise detail of how to do it though.

We only used it on bus M55 and Subway. Didn't use any SBS routes.

If it is accepted and someone has a contactless card or Google Pay or whatever Apple call their system that might be easier if they don't already have a Metro Card.

The story to which I linked was from early 2022. Omny cards (and other contactless payment methods) are relatively new, and weren't mentioned in that article. I had the hardest time finding anything specifically about the SBS routes (which require payment before boarding). This article confirms that you can, in fact, pay on entry with a smart device:

Bus Rapid Transit - Paying Your Fare (nyc.gov)

I forgot to mention that the SBS buses have a very low floor, so it's easy lifting even big cases on board through the rear door.

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, NYCSev20 said:

I second Tony.  A quick idea is to take an Uber to the South Ferry and a trip on the Statan Island Ferry and back, always great views.  I haven't taken friends on this in a while but you used to be able to stay on in Statan Island and not have to pay for the return. There is a nice tree at the NY Stock Exchange on Wall Street that a lot of people don't see.  From South Ferry take the number 1 subway up to Penn Station. From there it is not too much of a walk to Hearld Square (Macy's), Times Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Sak's and St. Patrick's Cathedral.  After that head down to see Grand Central then on the 4 or 5 subway back down to the South Ferry (Bowling Green stop) and another Uber back to Brooklyn. Not sure what the Ubers would be but could probably do all that for less than $75.

I couldn't agree more with this. Forget the expensive car thing.....

You could avoid the Uber ride and take the small ferry from Red Hook to Wall St. leaves less than 200 yards from where you exit the cruise terminal!!! Just show up there, it runs frequently, and enjoy the great view of the city from the water for less than $4 each way.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, old fool said:

I couldn't agree more with this. Forget the expensive car thing.....

You could avoid the Uber ride and take the small ferry from Red Hook to Wall St. leaves less than 200 yards from where you exit the cruise terminal!!! Just show up there, it runs frequently, and enjoy the great view of the city from the water for less than $4 each way.

I agree, skip the Uber.  I don't use the ferries so I'm not familir with them. In fact, my first visit to Red Hook will be on my westbound TA Oct. '24, my first ever on any line.