Scooter rental

ktcishot

My MIL wants to rent a scooter for our upcoming cruise. We've never done this before and I was hoping for some guidance. Do we rent it through princess? Any advice as to how to go about doing this is appreciated. I'm really not sure where to begin.

from the princess website......

Mobility Equipment Guidance

Here are some important things to know about bringing a mobility device onboard.

If you will be using a mobility device or have special needs, we strongly recommend you travel with a person physically fit to assist with your needs both onboard and ashore.

Although we do not offer mobility devices onboard for personal use, you are welcome to bring your own device. Alternatively, we do partner with the following companies who provide wheelchairs and other medical equipment for rent, and they can deliver directly to the ship. If a rental is a better solution for you, please do contact them directly.

Please ensure that your mobility device meets the following specifications:

• Maximum device width: 22” for standard staterooms, 31” for wheelchair-accessible staterooms
  • Maximum combined weight of the wheelchair, including guest: 600 pounds (weight may vary outside the United States)

Your mobility device must be securely stored in your stateroom when not in use. This will ensure that hallways and other public areas are clear for other guests and crew to safely move throughout the ship. We do not offer alternate locations for mobility device storage onboard. For assistance onboard with charging your equipment in your stateroom, please contact your stateroom attendant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread will probably be moved to the disabled cruisers thread but in the meantime:

You do not go through Princess to rent a scooter.  I have rented directly from Special Needs at Sea probably 5-6 times, including last month and have always been extremely pleased with the service, and the equipment.  The scooter is always waiting in the cabin when we embark, and I leave the scooter in whichever location is designated as the disembarkation waiting area for passengers needing wheelchair assistance (on our last cruise that was the Crown Grill but the location will vary).  Note that we always cruise in a handicapped accessible cabin - so have never had an issue with storage or getting through the door.  You must store the scooter in the cabin - there's no place to leave it overnight, for example. 

You will also need to fill out a form giving Princess the details about the scooter - height, weight, etc.  The form is easy to find on the website, and the scooter rental company can provide the details.

Most passengers are very considerate of scooter users as long as the user is considerate!  Getting on/off elevators, for example, has never been a problem for us.  You can scoot right to your table in the dining room and one of the staff can move the scooter to an out of the way location while you dine.  I've never had an issue taking the scooter through the buffet, although you have to go very slowly and people will absolutely step in front of you.  Common sense applies and your MIL should be fine.

If she isn't already experienced at using a scooter, I suggest some field trips to the local grocery store first, so she's comfortable with maneuvering, especially backing up.  Note that any rental scooter will have a speed dial (think from turtle to rabbit speed) which will FAR exceed any grocery store scooter, sol I also recommend keeping the speed on very low until she's comfortable with it. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have rented from Scootaround several times with no issues. I placed the order over the phone rather than online, but you can do either. As the above posters mention, do pay attention to the dimensions of the scooter relative to the door dimension of your cabin. While some scooters can fit in a regular cabin it may be very tight, especially with the arms down. The Scootaround website has dimensions for the equipment they carry. 

FYI, the scooters we rented were at the Loa Angeles and Seattle ports. We picked up the scooter just outside of the main entry and it was therefore available to ride up the gangway. The scooter is returned to the same location at the end of the cruise.

Please also know that depending on the cruise line, ship and port, the scooter may not be able to tender.  The Carnival Panorama has the ability to ride a scooter directly onto the tender, but I don’t know about other ships.

As catwoman mentioned, if your MIL has never used a scooter before, it is an excellent idea for her to take a few test runs at a local store. Without a doubt, a scooter will be a big help to your MIL assuming she has mobility challenges. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Great information. We are considering renting a scooter from Scoot around or the other rental company on Princess Website.  Is there any big advantages from one to the other?  Also our cruise is about one month away on Caribbean Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. 

My husband having increasing  balance issues and we don't want to risk a fall on our cruise.. He won't need the scooter most days but on shore he will.

We have a standard Princess Balcony cabin so scooter will need to fit through door for storage as I understand.

Will the rental company deliver the scooter to our cabin and pick it up at the end of the cruise? 

Advice from the experienced please?

Thanks

I just bought my own scooter (airline friendly at 47 pounds) and took it on a recent trip. Flew to FLL and home from LAX with no problems. It fit easily in our standard cabin. Not sure of your needs but I would look into purchasing compared with on board lease.

9 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

I just bought my own scooter (airline friendly at 47 pounds) and took it on a recent trip. Flew to FLL and home from LAX with no problems. It fit easily in our standard cabin. Not sure of your needs but I would look into purchasing compared with on board lease.

Can you share details on the model? @triple7tahoe

Edited by crowdraven87

12 hours ago, crowdraven87 said:

Can you share details on the model? @triple7tahoe

I purchased an EV Transport (there are a couple of choices). Mine weighs around 45 pounds and folds to the size of medium to large suitcase. Mine cost was around $1200-A self folding model weighs slightly more and costs $200 more. After a couple of practice tries, I found it easy to fold. It does have a tendency to "high center" at the peak of the ramps when going ashore/returning at ports. I am able to stand and lift it slightly as I approach those and soon learned how to avoid the problem. I can give you purchaser source if desired.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mustgo said:

Did you gate check or luggage check your scooter?

I gate checked. On outbound flight, my scooter was at the door when I got off plane. On return flight, they had me sit in first class and wait until the Captain saw scooter was off. Since my scooter is not auto unfolding I was afraid to hold up folks. On boarding they sent me down early and I was in my seat before others boarded. On return, I was so comfortable at unfolding it, I was out the door and on my way quicker than most behind me could get their bags down from overhead compartments.

You will need to book an accessible cabin to have enough room for a rented scooter. Please do not leave it in the corridor as this creates a hazard for other guests.   We have used Scootaround on several cruises and they have left the scooter in my mom’s cabin. 

Edited by landlocked12

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 9:08 PM, landlocked12 said:

You will need to book an accessible cabin to have enough room for a rented scooter. Please do not leave it in the corridor as this creates a hazard for other guests.   We have used Scootaround on several cruises and they have left the scooter in my mom’s cabin. 

Not sure that is correct, scooters can fit any cabin door

14 minutes ago, F355c5 said:

Not sure that is correct, scooters can fit any cabin door

The most common 3 wheel scooters that I've looked at are between 19"-20" wide at the wheels. This technically can fit into any stateroom but I assume would not be easy alone. We are going to try it anyway on our cruise in Oct. Originally wanted an accessible room for a electric wheelchair that is 28" wide but none were available so we got a room on Lido and a new scooter. 

22 hours ago, crowdraven87 said:

The most common 3 wheel scooters that I've looked at are between 19"-20" wide at the wheels. This technically can fit into any stateroom but I assume would not be easy alone. We are going to try it anyway on our cruise in Oct. Originally wanted an accessible room for a electric wheelchair that is 28" wide but none were available so we got a room on Lido and a new scooter. 

22 hours ago, F355c5 said:

Agree we tried for handicap room also, none available, so deluxe balcony room and getting a scooter  

Last cruise we went on, I looked into accessible cabin because DW now has a scooter. I tried booking an inside one online and got that same information none were available. I decided to call a CVP, and he said all the inside ones were booked up so he'd have to get us the next available accessible one at the inside cabin price. Got a nice balcony for inside price. He also told me the website will show none available most of the time.

1 hour ago, Moondogy said:

Last cruise we went on, I looked into accessible cabin because DW now has a scooter. I tried booking an inside one online and got that same information none were available. I decided to call a CVP, and he said all the inside ones were booked up so he'd have to get us the next available accessible one at the inside cabin price. Got a nice balcony for inside price. He also told me the website will show none available most of the time.

Wow that is good to know. We plan to make due for this cruise but will be sharing this info with my TA for the next cruise. Thank you! 

• Like 1

Im looking into renting a scooter for my first trip to Europe, renting in Southampton.   I'm reaching out to a couple agencies, in the meantime does anyone have an approx. price range for a two-week rental.  It would be for the smallest lightest scooter available.   

Thank you for any help, i know it will vary widely, just looking for a rough estimate.

7 hours ago, red4u2 said:

Im looking into renting a scooter for my first trip to Europe, renting in Southampton.   I'm reaching out to a couple agencies, in the meantime does anyone have an approx. price range for a two-week rental.  It would be for the smallest lightest scooter available.   

Thank you for any help, i know it will vary widely, just looking for a rough estimate.

I have been looking into a week rental and it's been averaging $200 for the week, so maybe $400 for 2 weeks?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, funship freddy said:

I have used Special Needs several times.

They are less expensive than Scootaround. Scootaround requires you take their $$$ “insurance”  You will find that most pax are very considerate.

Thank you, i have reached out to Special Needs at Sea, and i wont now to Scootaround. Its ridiculous to make someone pay for insurance they dont want.

12 hours ago, Moondogy said:

I have been looking into a week rental and it's been averaging $200 for the week, so maybe $400 for 2 weeks?

Thank you!  Is that pricing for the UK?  would be great!  that's the pricing I've had in Orlando!

Here is a link to a scooter that was specifically designed for cruising.  It folds down to 12 inches in height once the seat is removed.  We have had it for a few years now and have taken it on many cruises.  We gate check it when we fly and we take the seat into the plane with us.

https://mobilitymartplus.com/products/golden-technologies-buzzaround-carryon-folding-travel-scooter?variant=47265762771222#9038909243670-5

This is available at many dealers, I just pulled up the first one I saw.  It runs about 2000.

• Thanks 1