Saturn's Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer-July 19-August 2 LIVEish

Clay Clayton

9 hours ago, ellenw said:

What fun! You brought back a great memory from when we became blue nose society members last July on Jupiter. 

You mention in another post about how strange it is to be light so late. I think we made it to sunset once. It may have been at midnight or later. I told my friends at home that is was just always light. Light when I got up and light when I went to bed.

Thanks for this memory and the great report.

Well at this high point on our globe it never sets.  I looked outside at 3:15 am and it was exactly as bright as it was in the 11:18 pm photo. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We had the Norwegian dinner tonight at Chef's Table. It greatly exceed our expectations after hearing others say it wasn't very good.  We found the reindeer consummé tasty, the cucumber first course (substituted as salmon doesn't like either of us😢) very interesting, the lamb dish delicious (especially the loin!), and the dessert very satisfying -no matter whether you think it resembles a reindeer or a viking😂.  We almost missed out on the interesting potato pancakes when I asked why did we have bread plates but no bread.  Our server was very apologetic and quickly brought the delicious pancakes...but they are served on a dessert plate set between us both....so why the B&B plates?🤔😂

Anyway, we both enjoyed it very much (the other three decided to eat at the buffet) and both said afterwards, that was so much better than it read on the menu or than we expected. 

There is a "Dancing Under the Midnight Sun" party taking place up on the pool deck.  They have the roof slightly open so it very comfortable and everyone seems to be enjoying dancing or watching people dance.  We decided we would do wash😂 #OldBeforeOurTime

It is truly strange to be so light at 10:00pm and to see Kayakers heading out!

IMG_7184.jpeg

IMG_7185.jpeg

IMG_7186.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg

IMG_7188.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg

IMG_7193.jpeg

IMG_7194.jpeg

IMG_7189.jpeg

Thats the first CT menu we had on Viking in Bergen. Loved it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Well at this high point on our globe it never sets.  I looked outside at 3:15 am and it was exactly as bright as it was in the 11:18 pm photo. 

For those who think, this sunrise-sunset stuff is fun, try https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen.

Longyearbyen won't see a sunset or a sunrise until August 25, when the sunsets at 12:47am and rises again at 1:14am.  Some folks on board may stay up to watch both, while others will sleep through them both --- but at least will have the satisfaction of saying, "I slept through the night for the first time in ages." And even after August 25, while the sun will drop below the horizon for a bit, it will be October before they get anything but twilight when the sun is down.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Twitchly said:

You got the pistachio buns!! So happy for you! And in awe of your clout with Viking. Can we bring you on our next cruise?

As my Daddy always said, if you don't ask they can't say yes😀

• Like 4

We went on the included tour this morning. After our glorious trip yesterday where we felt like we could touch the glacier, this one was a bit underwhelming.  It was a two hour loop with narration about the history of Longyearbyen and discussion of the various wildlife. But even though called a Wildlife Safari, we only saw some birds that flew by us.  Similar experience for our friends who were on the 7:30 boat. For those that are on future cruises, if it was me I think I would take the included panoramic and do an independent boat tour.  Perhaps Paul will weigh in as they did HurtigurtenSvalbard's "Captain's Choice" which was longer than this mornings included and therefore I suspect they were able to see more. 

After the tour I took the complimentary shuttle into town while Mike walked. He verified that the brewery wouldn't open today in time for us to have a northernmost beer😢.  He tried to go into the Husky Cafe but it was too crowded-luckily we saw a husky(esque) pup in the wilds of the parking lot later.  

We met up at the Supermarket which was very nicely laid out and had some beautiful baked items as well as hot prepared foods.  Additionally, there is a homewards department, a perfumery, and a souvenir section.  Next door is a wine, beer, and liquor store. 

Prices were all over the place-a small package of croutons was over $6 while a "Monster" drink was under $2.50 which is less than it is in the US. Coke and Pepsi seemed higher at $20 for a case of thirty 330ml cans.  Liquor was comparably very reasonable as it isn't taxed here.  Unfortunately, foreigners aren't allowed to purchase unless they have a plane ticket leaving Svalbard. 🤔

Mike had seen some reindeer pelts yesterday when we were in town that were "on sale" so we went and looked.  After much discussion we are now the proud owners of one so we can make our new sofa at home look like one on a Viking Ship. We also stopped and had a couple of chocolates from the Northernmost chocolatier before catching the shuttle to the tender.  

We got back aboard about 1:30 and our light breakfast was gone but we wanted to have tea so we ordered and split a plate of wings (Thai chili is now the menu standard) and onion rings from the pool grill. Both were yummy.  

Writing this from our preferred corner of the Wintergarden where we are reading pre-tea. 

unfortunately I can't seem to add the photos so will do so later😢

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

first  time I have seen anyone mention the wings.  I am a bit of a wing ho, and pretty darn picky.  I like a good Buffalo sauce, but appreciate the other particularly a good asian sweet chili

We asked if the Buffalo were no longer offered and the waiter said they weren't on the menu but said he would ask the chef to make us some if we would like.  We declined.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Additionally, there is a homewards department, a perfumery, and a souvenir section.  Next door is a wine, beer, and liquor store. 

Clay, has autocorrect been at it again?  Homegoods?

BTW, you definitely have me sold. I do hope they offer this one for 2026, because I don't see us getting it in before that.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We went on the included tour this morning. After our glorious trip yesterday where we felt like we could touch the glacier, this one was a bit underwhelming.  It was a two hour loop with narration about the history of Longyearbyen and discussion of the various wildlife. But even though called a Wildlife Safari, we only saw some birds that flew by us.  Similar experience for our friends who were on the 7:30 boat. For those that are on future cruises, if it was me I think I would take the included panoramic and do an independent boat tour.  Perhaps Paul will weigh in as they did HurtigurtenSvalbard's "Captain's Choice" which was longer than this mornings included and therefore I suspect they were able to see more. 

After the tour I took the complimentary shuttle into town while Mike walked. He verified that the brewery wouldn't open today in time for us to have a northernmost beer😢.  He tried to go into the Husky Cafe but it was too crowded-luckily we saw a husky(esque) pup in the wilds of the parking lot later.  

We met up at the Supermarket which was very nicely laid out and had some beautiful baked items as well as hot prepared foods.  Additionally, there is a homewards department, a perfumery, and a souvenir section.  Next door is a wine, beer, and liquor store. 

Prices were all over the place-a small package of croutons was over $6 while a "Monster" drink was under $2.50 which is less than it is in the US. Coke and Pepsi seemed higher at $20 for a case of thirty 330ml cans.  Liquor was comparably very reasonable as it isn't taxed here.  Unfortunately, foreigners aren't allowed to purchase unless they have a plane ticket leaving Svalbard. 🤔

Mike had seen some reindeer pelts yesterday when we were in town that were "on sale" so we went and looked.  After much discussion we are now the proud owners of one so we can make our new sofa at home look like one on a Viking Ship. We also stopped and had a couple of chocolates from the Northernmost chocolatier before catching the shuttle to the tender.  

We got back aboard about 1:30 and our light breakfast was gone but we wanted to have tea so we ordered and split a plate of wings (Thai chili is now the menu standard) and onion rings from the pool grill. Both were yummy.  

Writing this from our preferred corner of the Wintergarden where we are reading pre-tea. 

image.thumb.jpeg.75203cf42e69a5b3c50c6a093b06b956.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bbf42965c5f6000d65f64d99ef8fb94e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.650ea198de069289d3b0639e402012f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a00bf625f3c1d1fd29aea8df4f80c465.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0461c2306ce9068da575f3a6524e9de4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0370809fd4310f2c0eb6ad7d324528e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.58711ab31aa06f565ad05e5ebc3e2250.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e62fb0b3e909206132dfa04eb5e3c822.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5b0c3b36b99d7eba886563a636442a8e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ab87ea33174ba736b89cb95d46ff9cb7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4750c96e3da11f54eb17bae1f21f16bb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6f1a48ab179a421296235a999c886649.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.686f384339b300324630451da8731112.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eafbf479bc5b494b3eedc8e8047095b5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.10e69530ad235bb135fc6de84ca015f7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da58b633105baa71abe6d2d12effd240.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Clay, has autocorrect been at it again?  Homegoods?

BTW, you definitely have me sold. I do hope they offer this one for 2026, because I don't see us getting it in before that.

Yes, home goods

• Thanks 1

Fabulous shots!

So glad that we had booked this itinerary for next year.  We essentially do NYC to Bergen spanning a year.  1/2 in 2023 and 1/2 in 2024.

Had always been curious about Svalbard, ever since my youth when you could see this huge island way up north (on those Mercator maps that were so out of scale).  Glad to see it's been a great adventure.  Plus, you still have the North Cape and down Norway's coast to come!  We did Midnight Sun and it was our favorite so looking forward to seeing North Cape for real (it was cold and foggy when there last July).  Wishing you continued sunshine!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

image.thumb.jpeg.75203cf42e69a5b3c50c6a093b06b956.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bbf42965c5f6000d65f64d99ef8fb94e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.650ea198de069289d3b0639e402012f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a00bf625f3c1d1fd29aea8df4f80c465.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0461c2306ce9068da575f3a6524e9de4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0370809fd4310f2c0eb6ad7d324528e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.58711ab31aa06f565ad05e5ebc3e2250.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e62fb0b3e909206132dfa04eb5e3c822.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5b0c3b36b99d7eba886563a636442a8e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ab87ea33174ba736b89cb95d46ff9cb7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4750c96e3da11f54eb17bae1f21f16bb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6f1a48ab179a421296235a999c886649.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.686f384339b300324630451da8731112.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eafbf479bc5b494b3eedc8e8047095b5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.10e69530ad235bb135fc6de84ca015f7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da58b633105baa71abe6d2d12effd240.jpeg

Yep, we got a box of those chocolates, and picked up a few things in the souvenir section at the store.

We did the Captain’s Choice Hurtigrutin cruise the first afternoon and saw walruses near the glaciers and a few birds. Not much wildlife to be seen in general. We had booked the included Wildlife Safari the next day, but skipped it. Is it the wrong season for wildlife viewing? Or is the heating up of the ice caps sending wildlife elsewhere?

17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh, that's right! Sunset means the sun had gone below the horizon. Then pops back up in no time! Doesn't get dark.  Again, a great memory. Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Picture of the pelt?

• Like 2

We did the “Better Moments” walrus safari in Svalbard.  Small boat with 12 people, and got up close and personal with the walruses—did a landing on the beach and walked single file with our guide to within about 10 meters of the walruses—amazing!

P1040167 - frame at 0m0s.jpeg

Edited by mom0f3
  • Like 11

12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I ♥️ Viking onion rings!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

As my Daddy always said, if you don't ask they can't say yes😀

We asked! Twice! They said “What pistachio buns?” And looked at us like we’d grown a third eye. 

Obviously we don’t have the Clayton je ne sais quoi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mom0f3 said:

We did the “Better Moments” walrus safari in Svalbard.  Small boat with 12 people, and got up close and personal with the walruses—did a landing on the beach and walked single file with our guide to within about 10 meters of the walruses—amazing!

P1040167 - frame at 0m0s.jpeg

Great photo! We tried to book the Better Moments walrus safari, but only one space was available. Oh well. At least we saw the walrus herd (pod?) from a distance on Hurtigruten’s wildlife safari.

We're in Barents Sea and continue to have internet.  Too slow 🐌 for streaming but internet nonetheless.  Glad to have it.  Thought we'd have dead zones but none so far. 🤷 Lets Clay keep sending his news feed. 🙏 

• Like 1