Japan, Ishigaki.

Wayfairers

40 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

Im stopping there next month too, on Celebrity and following this thread, hopefully someone has some advice.  Seems like a very beachy vibe from our initial searches online.  

Hopefully someone will educate us before your cruise.  I would appreciate it if you would let me know how your visit goes.  

• Like 2

Ishigaki is perfect for walking around during your few hours ashore. Must-see places within walking distance include Miyara Dunchi (samurai residence), Yaeyama Museum, Euglena Mall (shopping street), and Ishigaki Public Market for local food. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shecritic said:

Ishigaki is perfect for walking around during your few hours ashore. Must-see places within walking distance include Miyara Dunchi (samurai residence), Yaeyama Museum, Euglena Mall (shopping street), and Ishigaki Public Market for local food. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, austromyrtus said:

i recommend taking a ferry to nearby taketomi island. https://visitishigaki.com/yaeyama-islands/taketomi-island/

tickets can be purchased from the ferry terminal at the end of the wharf where the cruise ship tender boats go ashore in ishigaki (well this is the way it was when we went in 2019)

Thank you.  I hadn’t found this island while researching.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, shecritic said:

hi, so the cruise terminal is walking distance to these places?

Make sure the cruise terminal is right in town. We were there in March and our cruise docked quite a way away from the city center. They did provide complimentary shuttles though. Our port day was short, very short, due to immigration process which left us with only two hours in town so I cannot be much help. Here is a video of our fail stop in Ishigaki. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.   We will have 3 hours after our ship tour assuming the tour leaves on time.  We are doing the ship tour specifically because it is our first Japanese port and I keep finding stories about issues with the first port.

Hopefully if we are docked out of town there will be a shuttle so we can explore town on our own for a few hours.