Live from the Escape (Haven) July 16-23

PandaBear62

Waterfront--- Wraparound walking deck space on Deck 8.  Has free seating to watch the world go by.  On both the starboard and port sides, there are a number of bars with outside seating plus several restaurants with outside seating.  Lots of people doing thier walking on Deck 8 Waterfront.

• Like 2

I'm not in customer service, but in a high-end service environment the MO should be apologize and make right rather than make excuses. It would have cost her nothing, and makes a good impression instead of making a bad situation worse. She should have been the one to send the manager over to apologize. Luckily we've never experienced that in the Haven (only 1 trip so far though) and I think the most we've ever waited was 3-5 minutes (but we also didn't go during peak child time) and almost always were sat immediately for all meals we went to.

• Like 2

Thursday

I’m starting to feel a little bummed as we just have three days left on our cruise!

My mom and sister got up and went to breakfast. I was the last one out of bed today and as I was getting up they wanted to leave and walk around the port area. I didn’t care much at all, except to to tell them to ask at the shops if anyone sold stamps. If so, I’d head out and write some postcards and then hop back to the ship.

I went to the restaurant and just asked for a latte to take to the pool area. I’ve eaten so much this week, I just wanted a coffee. Yes, I could have used the Nepresso in my room or coffee by the pool, but really wanted a latte. I stopped by the concierge and ordered a cake for my moms birthday. Her birthday is actually Monday, but next week was not a good week for me to sail. So we’ll celebrate on Saturday. 

I also picked a half dozen cruising ducks my sister made to distribute around the ship. She made a bunch and hadn’t hidden very many, so wanted to do something for her. So as soon as I finished my coffee I was off.

I basically walked the public decks of the ship, hiding ducks in pretty easy to find spaces and checking out what’s around the ship. 

pU4q6I3p-x_S7pNDL2cK9l_akRKyjjmzFcPjeLv5MXMkCB4Kpls13NmyrUEFNinOu6Z11KNMpkVwHOeGxvrHcs5xW5WoJtmgwmZ-2CdotfBXXhzKnanz7Of-nTktRuQ6DQ0z7YoWUZ8oe68wzn7XlZI

KAncCJ4VKwes3zS_O7p2dny1S_LIqLdfwAoR1_dGtItovIxqBbSKleuWg8j-TTv0FWqIj1JrcOBU9GsRKQtZv0L2h5JThmxE0Hs8A0R9KXHKWyflMSEY8u0WXXW9Tj-DCCJ5ez-DoJQAta1szB1ZGao

WyEtdwJSA4O4kvwb8jZMJPEVUaKpCrD6qZBhqeHrVXbiffuUjf5dCkDY5f6qwKBTVcCbbGK1UXtUNkQ9pbWZ1kMsjev02w1-z2dvC2Qh3WjYTjhnZvt6mUTZhTXgBQczD00UHwOCEpmtGlUQMjz8FHs

zWrFYKuVrU11jR4bzKyKSrZWHTSoLdRrdQuAez1qqF7py1p3cJpdvSgenFBWGg0aNN112AVyU9-_BPZa_3HBthmUfIgaVEJacTaSbCiRlreibAqzKOsA9m5l73QDmY1B-nI--5YP8lreaEQn540zlAU

We’ve really only been to our specialty dining, the show rooms like the theater and comedy club and then hanging out in the Haven.

As I think I’ve mentioned, we’re booking two more NCL cruises. One in March out of Galveston and one in June to Alaska. We are seriously considering “downgrading” (lol) to maybe a suite or balcony but honestly, when I was out and about I was overwhelmed by the quantity of people and I think my mom could not handle the noise, the large amounts of people, etc. My sister? Yes, absolutely. My husband and I? Yes, we’ve cruised a lot and typically book an obstructed view (one step above an inside cabin, because my husband likes natural light). But my mom? Unfortunately, I think she’d go crazy. She has just lost that level of tolerance and adaptability. 

I realized this when I returned to the Haven pool. The temperature must be 15 degrees or more less than on deck! And so much quieter! No loud music, not tons of people. However, I will admit that even the Haven is not without issues. The other day, a staff member obviously told a child to stop the splashing (they were being very disruptive to everyone, not just playing in the pool) and he just told her “no”. She then talked to what I assume are the parents and they said there was nothing wrong with what he was doing. However, it is still miles quieter than the other pools (please not, I’m not saying it’s bad….I enjoy the music and people around….it’s just that my mom couldn’t handle it) 

We ate lunch by the pool. My mom and sister had the chicken Caesar wraps and me, the hot dog.

6h0vdmosnBlocp4ox4eeJHctYNthxUtYh1fnsFdpoKcSRr_81QCHsBhy6m_qdUfIrFttzKEYeJu9hczoMvzVDMnp4vCv3aTXc2vNVPxE0kZEmhYbZxaTXSAKdLUroVgyr4CHEIRsRgeyLstjNSodW5I

We spent an hour or two in the hot tub. It’s not super hot, more like bath water, which was great for the current temperature. There were kids in pool playing and I realized the issue isn’t them playing, it’s the high pitched screeching. It was quite funny listening to them decide and change the “rules” of whatever game they made up. A thoughtful mom came over and reminded them not to scream. Not too successful, but I did appreciate the effort!

After awhile I went backto the room and then  to book our next two cruises. We decided on a 2 bedroom Haven for my dh, mom and sister. We will sail out of Galveston in March and then from Seattle to Alaska in June. For Galveston we had a few cabin options but for Seattle there was one left!

While I was doing that my sister and mom cleaned up and wandered out in the ship. I met them at Syds Pourhouse and we met up with two couples who were on a mission to try every drink in the menu. They were obviously feeling no pain and were fun to chat with. 

We then went to La Cucina for dinner. It was not that great. After 90 minutes we still didn’t have our entrees. We were asked if we wanted a second glass of wine but didn’t arrive until we finished eating. 

PlrMVS8vEX61Kr05xbogbpUlvlHELN8jdDlbTJrkyI11FICxMbOV0kh9_U_QuEK35EN1b7rcz6PVIwNV-hNfjYYR2cnbnjfNo2LRJWf_k0_uBcmsU3GvteJ7gHLWNTwQH_V5xjObks1HLvxGUOJAFEI

Caprese salad

_-qZyF3wXC_OAizyjthhkZqSvzcKvXmMBD9T1AkB5ZAfxf93MBsUKMNr1dUVW0mKjmT_InHR2FQCGWFARbZE5A8GpP4hNmjnxuzGY7IdMNc-zPGYDVmHUmgXnyIXpGZ9VJ-2ProR1mV67vlRQWhJdDk

Beef tenderloin

Even the vibe was kind of negative. The waitstaff was very disengaged and it just wasn’t that fun. I would have rather eaten in the Haven. It was quite a disappointment after the fantastic experience at LeBistro.

We went to the late night comedy show featuring both comedians. Definetely adult rated but there were also kids in the show (I think they weren’t supposed to be there). 

We headed to bed to be rested for the DR tomorrow

• Like 6

Just now, Elvis1209 said:

we just have three days left on our cruise!

Can't go on your next one until you're finished with this one!  Is mom having a good time?  

Elvis

My mom is having a great time! She and my dad cruised a lot, as well as traveled in Europe quite a bit. She can no longer travel alone, so my sister and I take her on a vacation every March (when my sister, a teacher, has spring break) and every summer. We’ve done lots of different things, but now will stick to cruising. She enjoys it so much and in some ways, it’s easier than a land based vacation (although more expensive, lol).

• Like 1

Friday

My sister and I were up and ready by about 8:30 this morning to do a spur of the moment excursion. I absolutely wanted to see the spider monkeys at Monkey Island and that was our only agenda. 

We found our way to the monkeys and arranged to be part of the 9:40 group. It was a fantastic experience. The guide was wonderful. He took pictures with his camera (which you can buy) as well as with yours. You basically have a half hour with the monkeys. The first part is structured, with the guide doing pictures and the second part is you just getting to be with the monkeys. It was $25 to do it.

d7zFoF9CxqF_k2YCMAnSU7g3JUh4byDWF45MXbaHaUvBE8OwOX_Li9buT6kGR0ZOecajY9jeUaqa5b1OP9RYAKxXu8SsBRNMi6B0YaSS20BOJDAx-M9MJiVBKpNv6F_B3VAwy-L05JEFsw0ELlE_328

NmBruXW3BFMYalrs6U8J6TqXWEloL-T9WOi95HWTWBYf6uVwJDVJ3yV0SFqbRuOaiVXKPIk3aUqTsdkeZK-8lK2iafxxqUDs7gA19MxRchx6f67VIGHE6UBu0DnMh_A8HwHXKwuwYxfhhPhbIZ2HzGo

MytmCTIK51ioO1mv-qWd1TQfd2Oks4EBOcF5fr-EXEMVW6qlxUJsn4UHy4ufgM0mcxbAVvCxmd4MzDjblC_KXCRmSEUx3WTUaTMXNAHgF-Hx90qPNaiOJUlDB1OniGrq2qwAwbCHEatB5QO_BlbKQDk

A monkey jumped in my hand immediately in front of my phone and I was essentially snapping “monkey selfies”.

xwWesF8uPX_OtTJ1XYmmnw8H28_5mZ6omDU1Nzb2aFZVxwnf-NcFpq53-fBJyxcAAjNIjqOjjQ2g9M9islfxOqEuInI4oVJcHAcR0imLXSNVHVgS9looFLfPD_p1pguzP2C_iNoCdP3M9BNkD27s4Ow

q2SIBnEwjDtmbmB6BoZvLvJE6O5sEQg--dGc1vnh4aUjOKaUR5gsXkvO3IXSdDkTJ23foaIRkaCkqLkRSGn3GLmuFVC1puVbpJ_IM0GUqmZxhrBlT3NcChwIfqqjKhDFtOBsFwUF6D4vlDNGIjmHMy4

Seriously, best day ever!

We got 41 photos that the guide took and you pay by the number of people. We paid $35 for the two of us. A family of seven paid $80.

After visiting the monkeys we walked to a pool in yhe vicinity that had a big pool and lazy River . There is also a larger pool a little closer to the ship but doesn’t have a lazy River. They are free, you just purchase food or drinks. But no one is monitoring and there is no minimum. I’m sorry I didn’t even think to take pictures.

n-dgb6-YP-UsQvexx6wUMntvLaERy5lmBBbX9okIuRtcVsPMj4zVITln7S0OPy2MB4JFmavISLifLiRYkGZeiYEGvlSIaJJQX4tUVwxjPtlsw4q5R7Tf2s5iK_n8YRp9jFbkTUooABApl_Pnq4MZ2kw

It was really a fantastic day.

After walking back to the ship we cleaned up and walked to the brewhouse again before the 6:30 comedy show with Flip. I love the brew house and all the beer choices. The comedy show was hilarious and clean (the family show). At the end he brought on a guy who does the dueling pianos and the audience suggested a music genre and popular movie. For example, Home Alone and rap. He made up a song about Home Alone in the style of rap. He did this with three movies and it was hilarious.

• Like 6

Back to the Haven for dinner.

I blew it and forgot to take a picture before I ate but these are lobster deviled eggs. Delicious.

IMG_8902.thumb.jpeg.b102cd6f08bec99f1422a423b13fd328.jpeg

The lobster tail and filet were amazing. The lobster was stellar.

IMG_8903.thumb.jpeg.8237b50673eb70c1369199dfcf0b64c8.jpeg

I forgot to add, my brother decided he wanted to go to Alaska. So now I have to go to the Cruise next desk AGAIN and meet with Bruno. I am seriously setting embarrassed by how many times I’ve been there! So my mom, brother and sister will share a 2 bedroom and dh and I will get a different room.

We played cards after dinner until 11 and then turned in.

• Like 3

It sounds like you might want to consider another cruise line, maybe something a little higher end with less kids?  I find it hard to believe you couldn’t save some money compared to the Haven on something like Celebrity?

7 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thursday

I’m starting to feel a little bummed as we just have three days left on our cruise!

My mom and sister got up and went to breakfast. I was the last one out of bed today and as I was getting up they wanted to leave and walk around the port area. I didn’t care much at all, except to to tell them to ask at the shops if anyone sold stamps. If so, I’d head out and write some postcards and then hop back to the ship.

I went to the restaurant and just asked for a latte to take to the pool area. I’ve eaten so much this week, I just wanted a coffee. Yes, I could have used the Nepresso in my room or coffee by the pool, but really wanted a latte. I stopped by the concierge and ordered a cake for my moms birthday. Her birthday is actually Monday, but next week was not a good week for me to sail. So we’ll celebrate on Saturday. 

I also picked a half dozen cruising ducks my sister made to distribute around the ship. She made a bunch and hadn’t hidden very many, so wanted to do something for her. So as soon as I finished my coffee I was off.

I basically walked the public decks of the ship, hiding ducks in pretty easy to find spaces and checking out what’s around the ship. 

pU4q6I3p-x_S7pNDL2cK9l_akRKyjjmzFcPjeLv5MXMkCB4Kpls13NmyrUEFNinOu6Z11KNMpkVwHOeGxvrHcs5xW5WoJtmgwmZ-2CdotfBXXhzKnanz7Of-nTktRuQ6DQ0z7YoWUZ8oe68wzn7XlZI

KAncCJ4VKwes3zS_O7p2dny1S_LIqLdfwAoR1_dGtItovIxqBbSKleuWg8j-TTv0FWqIj1JrcOBU9GsRKQtZv0L2h5JThmxE0Hs8A0R9KXHKWyflMSEY8u0WXXW9Tj-DCCJ5ez-DoJQAta1szB1ZGao

WyEtdwJSA4O4kvwb8jZMJPEVUaKpCrD6qZBhqeHrVXbiffuUjf5dCkDY5f6qwKBTVcCbbGK1UXtUNkQ9pbWZ1kMsjev02w1-z2dvC2Qh3WjYTjhnZvt6mUTZhTXgBQczD00UHwOCEpmtGlUQMjz8FHs

zWrFYKuVrU11jR4bzKyKSrZWHTSoLdRrdQuAez1qqF7py1p3cJpdvSgenFBWGg0aNN112AVyU9-_BPZa_3HBthmUfIgaVEJacTaSbCiRlreibAqzKOsA9m5l73QDmY1B-nI--5YP8lreaEQn540zlAU

We’ve really only been to our specialty dining, the show rooms like the theater and comedy club and then hanging out in the Haven.

As I think I’ve mentioned, we’re booking two more NCL cruises. One in March out of Galveston and one in June to Alaska. We are seriously considering “downgrading” (lol) to maybe a suite or balcony but honestly, when I was out and about I was overwhelmed by the quantity of people and I think my mom could not handle the noise, the large amounts of people, etc. My sister? Yes, absolutely. My husband and I? Yes, we’ve cruised a lot and typically book an obstructed view (one step above an inside cabin, because my husband likes natural light). But my mom? Unfortunately, I think she’d go crazy. She has just lost that level of tolerance and adaptability. 

I realized this when I returned to the Haven pool. The temperature must be 15 degrees or more less than on deck! And so much quieter! No loud music, not tons of people. However, I will admit that even the Haven is not without issues. The other day, a staff member obviously told a child to stop the splashing (they were being very disruptive to everyone, not just playing in the pool) and he just told her “no”. She then talked to what I assume are the parents and they said there was nothing wrong with what he was doing. However, it is still miles quieter than the other pools (please not, I’m not saying it’s bad….I enjoy the music and people around….it’s just that my mom couldn’t handle it) 

We ate lunch by the pool. My mom and sister had the chicken Caesar wraps and me, the hot dog.

6h0vdmosnBlocp4ox4eeJHctYNthxUtYh1fnsFdpoKcSRr_81QCHsBhy6m_qdUfIrFttzKEYeJu9hczoMvzVDMnp4vCv3aTXc2vNVPxE0kZEmhYbZxaTXSAKdLUroVgyr4CHEIRsRgeyLstjNSodW5I

We spent an hour or two in the hot tub. It’s not super hot, more like bath water, which was great for the current temperature. There were kids in pool playing and I realized the issue isn’t them playing, it’s the high pitched screeching. It was quite funny listening to them decide and change the “rules” of whatever game they made up. A thoughtful mom came over and reminded them not to scream. Not too successful, but I did appreciate the effort!

After awhile I went backto the room and then  to book our next two cruises. We decided on a 2 bedroom Haven for my dh, mom and sister. We will sail out of Galveston in March and then from Seattle to Alaska in June. For Galveston we had a few cabin options but for Seattle there was one left!

While I was doing that my sister and mom cleaned up and wandered out in the ship. I met them at Syds Pourhouse and we met up with two couples who were on a mission to try every drink in the menu. They were obviously feeling no pain and were fun to chat with. 

We then went to La Cucina for dinner. It was not that great. After 90 minutes we still didn’t have our entrees. We were asked if we wanted a second glass of wine but didn’t arrive until we finished eating. 

PlrMVS8vEX61Kr05xbogbpUlvlHELN8jdDlbTJrkyI11FICxMbOV0kh9_U_QuEK35EN1b7rcz6PVIwNV-hNfjYYR2cnbnjfNo2LRJWf_k0_uBcmsU3GvteJ7gHLWNTwQH_V5xjObks1HLvxGUOJAFEI

Caprese salad

_-qZyF3wXC_OAizyjthhkZqSvzcKvXmMBD9T1AkB5ZAfxf93MBsUKMNr1dUVW0mKjmT_InHR2FQCGWFARbZE5A8GpP4hNmjnxuzGY7IdMNc-zPGYDVmHUmgXnyIXpGZ9VJ-2ProR1mV67vlRQWhJdDk

Beef tenderloin

Even the vibe was kind of negative. The waitstaff was very disengaged and it just wasn’t that fun. I would have rather eaten in the Haven. It was quite a disappointment after the fantastic experience at LeBistro.

We went to the late night comedy show featuring both comedians. Definetely adult rated but there were also kids in the show (I think they weren’t supposed to be there). 

We headed to bed to be rested for the DR tomorrow

Alaska by far has been one of my favorite places. I took RCL there and was disappointed.  The suites on the ship versus haven do not compare. NCL Haven gets it right. I’ve never had an issue. Going to Bermuda in November for the BF’s birthday on the escape. Been on the Breakaway so I’m thinking pretty similar. Enjoy the remainder of your trip!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Annies88 said:

Alaska by far has been one of my favorite places. I took RCL there and was disappointed.  The suites on the ship versus haven do not compare. NCL Haven gets it right. I’ve never had an issue. Going to Bermuda in November for the BF’s birthday on the escape. Been on the Breakaway so I’m thinking pretty similar. Enjoy the remainder of your trip!

I’ve sailed to Alaska twice on Princess and was very happy. They have a large quantity of educational programs….naturalists, educators, etc. Last year a man from one of the local Alaskan tribes carved a totem pole over the course of the season. It was wheeled out multiple times and he talked about his upbringing, history, etc as he carved the totem using traditional methods.

I’m excited to see what NCL will do.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monica887 said:

How does lunch at the Haven pool work? Is there a menu or a buffet type area?

There is a menu. 
My mom and sister had the wraps and they liked them. I had a hot dog.

IMG_8770.thumb.jpeg.a4c14e7dc007f601228a3bd189a62d4a.jpeg

There are obviously other choices….hamburgers, etc. Maybe 8 menu items? I’ll try and take a picture today. 

Just now, PandaBear62 said:

There is a menu. 
My mom and sister had the wraps and they liked them. I had a hot dog.

IMG_8770.thumb.jpeg.a4c14e7dc007f601228a3bd189a62d4a.jpeg

There are obviously other choices….hamburgers, etc. Maybe 8 menu items? I’ll try and take a picture today. 

That would be great - thanks! I'm a vegetarian who will be there in a couple of weeks. Do they bring it around like drink service?

I thought about doing a "live" but I'm pretty sure it would be boring - "today I ate a croissant in my room, a veggie burger by the pool, and a drink in the hot tub. Yesterday I did the same. Tomorrow I will do it again. I live here now and will never leave"

• Haha 2