Best way to kill 8 hours in Miami?

sdmike

We'll be returning to Miami on 8/13 following a week long cruise, and our flight out of MIA isn't until 9pm. We'll be shuttling to the airport from the port to drop off our luggage and pick up a rental car, but looking for suggestions on what to do. We are 5 active adults from 22 to 62. Miami Beach or the Everglades come to mind (or both?), but looking for other suggestions (zoo?). We'll be dressed for a flight, not really for a beach day.

Thanks

I love the Everglades and rarely miss an opportunity to take visitors but I would never suggest it during the summer.  It will be miserably hot (especially so far this year), with frequent thunder storms that do nothing to reduce the heat and humidity for any length of time and the you won't see much wildlife compared to the dry (winter) season when it gathers around the watering holes.  Plus the mosquitos can be annoying.

Here's the National Park Service description of visiting during the wet season: (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/wetseason.htm😞

Typical Wet Season Conditions

The Everglades are typically hot and humid from May through November. Temperatures reach average highs of 90°F, with humidity over 90%, and a heat index of over 100°F. Afternoon thunderstorms can be expected daily with heavy rainfalls that typically subside quickly. Check the weather forecast and be prepared for sudden storms at any time.

Wet conditions and higher temperatures bring significant changes in the Everglades landscape. As water levels rise, animals disperse making wildlife viewing more challenging.

Insects such as mosquitoes and biting flies can be profuse in some areas, making outdoor pursuits uncomfortable without repellent or mosquito netting.

Stay hydrated, wear cool loose-fitting clothing, and use sun protection such as hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.

• Like 1

resortpass.com will connect you to hotels/resorts offering day passes to their beach/pool/spa facilities.  Skip the rental car and let the hotel watch your bags while you swim. relax, get pampered and dine before heading to the airport.

4 hours ago, JohninDC said:

resortpass.com will connect you to hotels/resorts offering day passes to their beach/pool/spa facilities.  Skip the rental car and let the hotel watch your bags while you swim. relax, get pampered and dine before heading to the airport.

Great idea .... Florida in August can be difficult. When we had a place there, it was off the beach by 11.30AM. Then indoors till late in the day.  

• Like 1

August in Florida can be brutal.  Air conditioning is a must.  Make sure wherever you decide to go you aren't just getting access to the beach or pool, but to some inside areas to hang out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Thanks John

On 7/16/2023 at 7:59 PM, sdmike said:

We'll be returning to Miami on 8/13 following a week long cruise, and our flight out of MIA isn't until 9pm. We'll be shuttling to the airport from the port to drop off our luggage and pick up a rental car, but looking for suggestions on what to do. We are 5 active adults from 22 to 62. Miami Beach or the Everglades come to mind (or both?), but looking for other suggestions (zoo?). We'll be dressed for a flight, not really for a beach day.

Thanks

A few ideas, depending on your interests and tolerance for heat: (1) Drive out to Key Biscayne, about a 20 minute drive from Miami airport.  Enjoy the views from the causeway, and have lunch at the Boaters Grill in Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.  If it’s not too hot, rent bikes or 4-wheeled surreys for a pedal around the park and visit to the lighthouse.  The park does close when it reaches capacity, so if you do go I suggest going on the early side.  There are shower facilities if you decide you want to bring swimsuits and enjoy the beautiful beach. Crandon Park is also on Key Biscayne — you can watch cruise ships sail away from the beach if you are there in the late afternoon.   (2) Zoo Miami is terrific — count on about an hour drive from the airport but you’ll have plenty of time to get there and back.  (3) If you prefer to avoid the heat, Miami has some great museums (such as the Perez Art Museum) and you can walk around Bayfront Park. (4) Lots of fun places to stroll and shop and dine on Miami Beach.  Not sure what’s on the program that day (if anything) but the New World Concert Hall is a smallish venue with great performances if you like classical music.  (5) If you want to enjoy authentic Cuban food, head to Cafe Versailles on Calle Ocho.  

Enjoy your visit to Miami! 

On 7/16/2023 at 7:59 PM, sdmike said:

Thanks

Ok, one more idea: if you are baseball fans, it looks like there is a 1:40 game on August 13th between the Marlins and the Yankees.  You’d have plenty of time to get to your 9 pm flight afterwards.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Protecttheturtles said:

Ok, one more idea: if you are baseball fans, it looks like there is a 1:40 game on August 13th between the Marlins and the Yankees.  You’d have plenty of time to get to your 9 pm flight afterwards.  

That's certainly an interesting option.  I've heard the stadium is nice; I haven't made it to a game yet.

11 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

That's certainly an interesting option.  I've heard the stadium is nice; I haven't made it to a game yet.

It's nice and air conditioned (they close the roof).  If you plan to eat there, try a Cuban sandwich. You can get a hot dog or hamburger at any stadium in the country but not a Cuban sandwich (they have other Cuban options too)!

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

It's nice and air conditioned (they close the roof).  If you plan to eat there, try a Cuban sandwich. You can get a hot dog or hamburger at any stadium in the country but not a Cuban sandwich (they have other Cuban options too)!

I always like some good lechon asado or vaca frita.

I have the same situation (9pm flight after weeklong cruise) except it's in November and I'll have kids with me. Dropping bags at airport and renting a car seems like a hassle. I very much like the resortpass option! I just hope I can find something on a holiday weekend (after Thanksgiving).
Does anyone have any specific hotels they would recommend?

On 7/19/2023 at 10:40 AM, Protecttheturtles said:

A few ideas, depending on your interests and tolerance for heat: (1) Drive out to Key Biscayne, about a 20 minute drive from Miami airport.  Enjoy the views from the causeway, and have lunch at the Boaters Grill in Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.  If it’s not too hot, rent bikes or 4-wheeled surreys for a pedal around the park and visit to the lighthouse.  The park does close when it reaches capacity, so if you do go I suggest going on the early side.  There are shower facilities if you decide you want to bring swimsuits and enjoy the beautiful beach. Crandon Park is also on Key Biscayne — you can watch cruise ships sail away from the beach if you are there in the late afternoon.   (2) Zoo Miami is terrific — count on about an hour drive from the airport but you’ll have plenty of time to get there and back.  (3) If you prefer to avoid the heat, Miami has some great museums (such as the Perez Art Museum) and you can walk around Bayfront Park. (4) Lots of fun places to stroll and shop and dine on Miami Beach.  Not sure what’s on the program that day (if anything) but the New World Concert Hall is a smallish venue with great performances if you like classical music.  (5) If you want to enjoy authentic Cuban food, head to Cafe Versailles on Calle Ocho.  

Enjoy your visit to Miami! 

Great suggestions! Thank you very much!