My first move-up offer is a move down

KellyCz

22 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

For all those who say take the downgrade and money...

If when the cruiser booked, the obstructed view cabin was $1500 a person, and the unobstructed view cabin was $2000 a person ($1000 difference for two), why would anyone now take $500 total for the downgrade to the obstructed view? 

Lots of people have given this advice and I'd like to understand what I am missing (other than I'm guessing at the numbers, but so are you).  

You've given excellent advice to the OP to check the price difference. I haven't cruised Celebrity in about a year, but historically the difference in a one or two category difference, especially in the same type of room has been $40-$100. 

Perhaps the OP could check the difference and let us know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP's ship has sailed, so to speak, and they have decided to stay with their original cabin. But thousands of people read this site, and some very prolific and/or experienced cruisers are giving this advice.  So for the next time, I'm asking, why grab the downgrade without knowing the numbers? 

• Like 1

I think the best advise given here was to call and see what cabin<s> were being offered, then determine the value from there.  

In my case as I described I was able to "suggest" a cabin (which in my opinion was a better one than I booked and they were more than happy to accommodate.  Remember they are trying to solve their problem.  

• Like 1

I picked a random Alaska 2024 cruise, 7 days, next July. 2 people, no discounts. $1996 per person in partially obstructed veranda, versus $2188 in a full view veranda. $400 difference.  $50 per person to move to an obstructed view.  

Everyone’s personal financial situation and everyone’s travel budget is different. $500 is more important and means more to some than others. It is understandable some cruisers would not even consider giving up their booked balcony for an obstructed view one,  but I can certainly understand the cruisers who choose to put the $500 savings in their pocket. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input and discussion. As someone else said, it's helpful to get the perspective of many experienced cruisers.

Here's an update:

Yesterday I called Celebrity to ask if I could know the specific stateroom we'd be moving to before we accept the offer, and she said yes, certainly. She put me on hold (three times) and after about 15 minutes, she told me that unfortunately there were no downgrade offers available. Fair enough. Maybe they've resolved their issue.

An hour ago my husband got an email asking him to bid on a room upgrade.

Bit of a rollercoaster this week!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KellyCz said:

Thanks for your input and discussion. As someone else said, it's helpful to get the perspective of many experienced cruisers.

Here's an update:

Yesterday I called Celebrity to ask if I could know the specific stateroom we'd be moving to before we accept the offer, and she said yes, certainly. She put me on hold (three times) and after about 15 minutes, she told me that unfortunately there were no downgrade offers available. Fair enough. Maybe they've resolved their issue.

An hour ago my husband got an email asking him to bid on a room upgrade.

Bit of a rollercoaster this week!

Lol………got to love Celebrity! Sometimes their right hand doesn’t know what their left hand is doing! I get contradicting emails all the time with my bookings. At least your decision has been made for you! Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

Since you won't tell us what stateroom you would be giving up, and the fact that you are now not going to be downgraded, I guess this entire matter is moot.

Good luck if you decide to bid on an upgrade.  If you win the bid, that stateroom would be a surprise.

20 hours ago, CruisinBanka said:

Lol………got to love Celebrity! Sometimes their right hand doesn’t know what their left hand is doing! I get contradicting emails all the time with my bookings. At least your decision has been made for you! Enjoy your cruise! 

They're two independent processes. The downgrades are offered to specific categories when an issue is identified and only for the specific need they have right at the time.

Whereas upgrades are offered generally to most grades, and are only offered - in advance - as a contingency if there happens to be availability typically just before sailing. And that doesn't mean a specific category, as upgrades may be issued sequentially due to someone in a higher grade getting their own upgrade so freeing up that space for your category.

They don't know there will be availability in the future e.g. balconies and above may be booked out now. So they do some downgrade offers. But then a day before the sailing a large family group has a medical emergency and cancel, releasing three cabins. Then the upgrade offers come into play.

Or even on the day there is some weather issue and 10 cabins are free due to non-arrivals. In both cases the upgrade bids come into play - even though none of those cabins can have people shuffled into them from overbooking right now.

• Like 1