Reserving Entertainment and/or dining precruise

ronmar22

We are first time cruisers on NCL and have a question.  We have booked an aft facing balcony (B1) on the Escape for an October 1 sailing.  On many of the cruise lines we have been able to reserve Dining and entertainment in advance. I went on the app to check this out and when I attempted to reserve a specialty restaurant I got "Not available to book.  Please check back later or once on board".   Is it possible to accomplish this on NCL cruises?  If so, when, for those first timers not in a suite or Haven cabin?  Thank you for any help

• Like 1

Depending on your latitude rewards status (which I assume since this is your first NCL cruise, you are at the first level), then you can book your dining 120 days in advance. Don't worry if you go to book something and it's not available. I was told by an NCL rep, that only 20% of dining reservations are made available in advance. Others have been told different percentages, though. Most people will get online at midnight of 120 days in advance and book the dining. 

13 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

We are first time cruisers on NCL and have a question.  We have booked an aft facing balcony (B1) on the Escape for an October 1 sailing.  On many of the cruise lines we have been able to reserve Dining and entertainment in advance. I went on the app to check this out and when I attempted to reserve a specialty restaurant I got "Not available to book.  Please check back later or once on board".   Is it possible to accomplish this on NCL cruises?  If so, when, for those first timers not in a suite or Haven cabin?  Thank you for any help

Dining reservations open 120 days prior to departure (130 days for suites, 125 day for Club Suites and Top Tier Latitudes members). So, reservations opened on May 24, 2023 and the restaurant you are seeking may have already sold out for pre-cruise bookings. You waited too long. 

As soon as you embark, go to the Box Office (Deck 7, Forward, Starboard Theater entrance), get a entertainment menu (example below), book your shows and complimentary dinner shows (if you want); Then go to Teppanyaki (Deck 6, Mid-ship) and book your specialty dining around your shows. While some tables are held for onboard booking, "good" dates and times sell out quickly. 

Some shows can be reserved. Some are first-come-first-serve. 

IMG_4386.thumb.jpeg.6743c6b7acc49f74ba3c0542e937d78f.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

Your next milestone date you don't want to miss is 21 days prior to departure, 12 midnight Eastern time. At exactly midnight Eastern, log on and check in. You will be allowed to pick a port check-in time. Early times will sell out by the next day.  To check in, you need all of your personal information (name, address, phone numbers, emails), Your Emergency Point of Contact (Name and phone), Passport details (name, number, expiration date), credit card information, mug shot/headshot  (photos taken against a solid background, face straight at the camera, no glasses, no head covering, high resolution). 

At 21 days, you can also book Choir of Man online. All other shows need to be booked once you are onboard. Don't rely on the app. 

The following is a link to my live post from the Escape to get additional information about the ship. While it may not match your specific itinerary, the Dailies will give you an idea on what is available on the ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Depending on your latitude rewards status (which I assume since this is your first NCL cruise, you are at the first level), then you can book your dining 120 days in advance. Don't worry if you go to book something and it's not available. I was told by an NCL rep, that only 20% of dining reservations are made available in advance. Others have been told different percentages, though. Most people will get online at midnight of 120 days in advance and book the dining. 

While they old some tables for onboard booking, you should be cautious about setting expectations of people you are replying to. We are diamond latitudes and normally board immediately after Haven (we are in line and board as soon as priority boarding is called). And even being first onto the ship at to entertainment and restaurant reservations, on a recent cruise we had to change our reservation for the seafood restaurant and it was only available for early dining (5:30-7:30) on one night when we got to the reservation desk. And we were not interested in a 9 pm dinner reservation,,, so we shuffled more reservations to dine on the one available night. On another cruise, Cagney's was sold out all days, all times by 1 pm... with early dining selling out long before that. 

So, while NCL holds some tables for onboard booking, it does not mean that that someone should "not worry" and expect to wander by reservations after lunch on embarkation day and get the dates and times that they want. Late reservations are o.k. if that is your choice, but we're old and want to eat around 6:30 nightly. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

While they old some tables for onboard booking, you should be cautious about setting expectations of people you are replying to. We are diamond latitudes and normally board immediately after Haven (we are in line and board as soon as priority boarding is called). And even being first onto the ship at to entertainment and restaurant reservations, on a recent cruise we had to change our reservation for the seafood restaurant and it was only available for early dining (5:30-7:30) on one night when we got to the reservation desk. And we were not interested in a 9 pm dinner reservation,,, so we shuffled more reservations to dine on the one available night. On another cruise, Cagney's was sold out all days, all times by 1 pm... with early dining selling out long before that. 

So, while NCL holds some tables for onboard booking, it does not mean that that someone should "not worry" and expect to wander by reservations after lunch on embarkation day and get the dates and times that they want. Late reservations are o.k. if that is your choice, but we're old and want to eat around 6:30 nightly. 

Not sure what you mean by "while they OLD some tables". Some people aren't as particular as you when it comes do dining times, etc.. I will give an answer as best as I know it and do answer what I think is correct. Each sailing is different when it comes to availability of dining, restaurants and seating. One answer doesn't apply to every sailing. Sorry but I don't work for NCL like you think you do. I also admit I don't know every detail or all knowledge about cruising, or NCL or aspects of cruises, unlike some people.

Edited by genealogyfan

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Are you just trying to confuse people. 80% of dining slots are held for giving out on the ship. they are not that hard to get when you are on board unless you have a large party.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DZ77 said:

What are the disadvantages of having a late port check in time?  

Thank you

For us the major "disadvantage" is not having to wait in any lines.  🙂 🙂   Many like to get on the ship early to begin enjoying the ship.  Also first to board can book reservations before they fill up.  We have decided to board later and avoid the lines.  It suits our needs better.

1 hour ago, DZ77 said:

Thank you

None. We live nowhere near water, so we fly a day prior to departure and want to get onboard as soon as possible. Also, for those who want to book entertainment and dining onboard, things sell out [quickly] so being onboard early and getting the vacation truly started is our preference. 

Full Disclosure: Most (but not all) ports are currently not checking times. All of our recent cruises this year have sailed at 120%ish capacity and once it gets much more, they may try to enforce times to help with crowding in the terminal (which was the original rationale for having check-in times). 

40 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Are you just trying to confuse people. 80% of dining slots are held for giving out on the ship. they are not that hard to get when you are on board unless you have a large party.

80% of the tables are not held for onboard bookings. That is urban legend. Any call center person saying that has zero, none, nil insight into the booking policies of the cruise line. They are just trying to get  you to stop complaining and off the phone. 

And I just related my personal experience from our December 2022 and May 2023 cruises where early dining times at popular restaurants were near sold out pre-cruise. We were literally at the reservation desk within 10-15 minutes of start of priority boarding and there was only one night when the restaurant we wanted had any reservations before 8 pm. And an instance when Cagney's was fully sold out by 1 pm on embarkation day. 

I want to thank those that gave some very useful information.  We actually booked this cruise on Monday morning (yesterday) so we obviously did indeed miss the 120 day thing.    However, I thought that because I got the “not available to book, try later” message, Maybe the date for reserving was at a later date.  Thanks again to all.  Some really helpful info.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davencl said:

For us the major "disadvantage" is not having to wait in any lines.  🙂 🙂   Many like to get on the ship early to begin enjoying the ship.  Also first to board can book reservations before they fill up.  We have decided to board later and avoid the lines.  It suits our needs better.

Do you reserve the latest port check in time?  is that the best time to go to avoid the rush?

26 minutes ago, DZ77 said:

Do you reserve the latest port check in time?  is that the best time to go to avoid the rush?

I do two or so hours before.  If latest is 3PM I typically sign up for 1PM

3 minutes ago, davencl said:

I do two or so hours before.  If latest is 3PM I typically sign up for 1PM

I should add some more detail.   Earliest checkin might typically be 9:30 AM.   However boarding doesn't start till 11:00 to 11:30 AM so even if no line at checkin you sit in the terminal for two hours before even boarding.  Then the boarding process takes an hour.  Then rooms aren't ready until around 3 these days unless you're in the haven or a suite.  Others can add their experiences...

Edited by davencl

3 hours ago, DZ77 said:

Thank you

I guess it depends if you need to reserve or request anything that might sell out, then you want the earliest port check in time. For example, I was on the Epic in April and wanted to request a Posh Pass (like a beach vibe, private deck). They normally only have 10-20 for non Haven guests. I wanted the first check in time, because I wanted to board as early as possible. For my next cruise, I don't have anything I need to reserve or request first thing, so I won't "need" to board first. 

On 7/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, ronmar22 said:

I want to thank those that gave some very useful information.  We actually booked this cruise on Monday morning (yesterday) so we obviously did indeed miss the 120 day thing.    However, I thought that because I got the “not available to book, try later” message, Maybe the date for reserving was at a later date.  Thanks again to all.  Some really helpful info.

Booked inside the 120 day window as well. And I booked a club suite thinking it would allow me to make my entertainment reservations ASAP.

First cruise I’m going on where the spa rooms are not included.  Not a deal breaker on a cruise with only 1 sea day.

3 hours ago, tw0sugar5 said:

And I booked a club suite thinking it would allow me to make my entertainment reservations ASAP.

I should’ve read the “fine print”: 21 days.

At least I get a bigger bathroom, some bubbly, and one valet laundering service.

5 hours ago, tw0sugar5 said:

I should’ve read the “fine print”: 21 days.

At least I get a bigger bathroom, some bubbly, and one valet laundering service.

And, a small plate of "treats" delivered twice during the cruise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, tw0sugar5 said:

It’s now 21 days before disembarkation and still unable to reserve entertainment (Broadway style musical).

Reservations are available 21 days before embarkation, not disembarkation. It's possible that what you are trying to reserve is sold out. Check when you get on board or you can always go to the standby line.

On 8/26/2023 at 12:54 AM, debenson0723 said:

Reservations are available 21 days before embarkation, not disembarkation. It's possible that what you are trying to reserve is sold out. Check when you get on board or you can always go to the standby line.

Do you know where we’d go on prima/viva to reserve entertainment once on board?

20 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Do you know where we’d go on prima/viva to reserve entertainment once on board?

I don't remember where they were doing reservations on the Prima but I typically just use the Kiosk if I have a need or you can also stop by the Box Office.

59 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I don't remember where they were doing reservations on the Prima but I typically just use the Kiosk if I have a need or you can also stop by the Box Office.

I’ve only been on the sky so forgive me for my basic questions…

but where would I find a kiosk or the box office