Evening Attire On Formal Evening(s)

Keith1010

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

you go first - take one for the team....

Fingers crossed sanity prevails

The 2020 World Cruise I did the jacket with/without tie every second Formal night, and Leo seated us every time. I think I like my chances come September. 🙂

• Like 2

I believe this comment is very appropriate to some of the discussion and it is based with the conversation I had to understand how Formal Optional Works.

I also expect like most things, Crystal will look at the first several sailings on each ship and determine if any adjustments are warranted and that includes the writeup.

As I mentioned earlier, flexibility will be shown for those on the first few sailings and I expect that Crystal will review all this as they get experience with it including guest feedback.

With that said, I the purpose of this thread is so that people would know what Crystal's definition of Formal optional is which is different than some expected and I only raised after receiving a number of questions and after personally rereading the writeup several time and realizing that it was not as I originally thought either.

For some of you since you are either not booked yet or you are booked but not on one of the immediate cruises those of us who are on the earlier cruises I am sure will share additional details on this.

Keith

19 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

As I have said over and over and over, Crystal will be very flexible on the first few sailings. Crystal will use those early sailings to evaluate this. 

Why do they need to be flexible?

They have a dress code so why not enforce it? (although I certainly don’t understand just what it actually is after the unofficial “clarification” by yourself) - it just adds confusion to an already unclear policy 

As I understand it now you’re saying it’s not going to be enforced (whatever “it” is) and they’re going to review “it” after the first few cruises 

That’s strange!

I simply don’t understand why they’ve apparently chosen to change the interpretation of the dress code over what old Crystal had when there must be a thousand other things they need to be focused on to get the new line operational. We keep hearing how the old things will return to new Crystal - so why would the dress code change without any explanation? 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Why do they need to be flexible?

They have a dress code so why not enforce it? (although I certainly don’t understand just what it actually is after the unofficial “clarification” by yourself - it just adds confusion to an already unclear policy 

As I understand it now you’re saying it’s not going to be enforced (whatever “it” is) and they’re going to review “it” after the first few cruises 

That’s strange!

I simply don’t understand why they’ve apparently chosen to change the interpretation of the dress code over what old Crystal had when there must be a thousand other things they need to be focused on to get the new line operational. We keep hearing how the old things will return to new Crystal - so why would the dress code change without any explanation? 

They can chew gum and walk at the same time.

I know you have said you want them to change but I now get the feeling that you want them to change as long as you agree with what they propose.  When it comes to change if you are a proponent of it (I certainly am) there will be changes that some will embrace and others won't so be careful what you wish for if you can't accept it all.

It's not strange.  It's something new and also the pre cruise booklet hasn't gotten out to those who are booked on the cruise and not everyone goes to the website ahead of their cruise.

The information shared came directly from Crystal and is the same information that Seasack recived from Crystal when he called them directly.

Just now, Keith1010 said:

They can chew gum and walk at the same time.

I know you have said you want them to change but I now get the feeling that you want them to change as long as you agree with what they propose.  When it comes to change if you are a proponent of it (I certainly am) there will be changes that some will embrace and others won't so be careful what you wish for if you can't accept it all.

Why do they have to walk and chew gum at the same time on this - just set and implement a dress code that is appropriate and clearly understood - as it stands it’s certainly not the latter and leaves crew and guests exposed to embarrassing moments when the various interpretations are communicated 

Seriously? You think a new and competitive cruise line is going to emerge based on a tweak to their previous dress code?  

When I talk about change I’m talking about much more fundamental

and significant things - and no, unlike some, I don’t expect I’ll agree with everything new Crystal does 

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Why do they have to walk and chew gum at the same time on this - just set and implement a dress code that is appropriate and clearly understood - as it stands it’s certainly not the latter and leaves crew and guests exposed to embarrassing moments when the various interpretations are communicated 

Seriously? You think a new and competitive cruise line is going to emerge based on a tweak to their previous dress code?  

When I talk about change I’m talking about much more fundamental

and significant things - and no, unlike some, I don’t expect I’ll agree with everything new Crystal does 

My comment about chewing gum and walking was to your response about why they changed the write-up for attire. My point is they can do more than one thing at a time.

Have not idea what you are talking about in terms of competitiveness and emerging. I never said that has anything to do with that. 

When you say you are looking forward to change this is change.  There are more changes.  Some announced and  some we will learn about.  If one espouses change my point is they have to understand that change will vary and some will be significant and some small. And what one person thinks is small another person may see it as big.  But change is change. I look forward to change and understand with change there could be things that I don't like but as long as there are enough things I enjoy I am happy. Each person will have to decide for themselves.

• Haha 3

If they are really having a new dress code (both men and women) and are going to enforce it they better make sure people are aware of this change in policy.   A lot of Crystal cruisers don't read this site and if they get on a cruise with several formal nights and find they aren't allowed in the dining room there will be a lot of very unhappy people and probably some bad press about this.    Not sure what the communications mechanism should be but it should be clear and early in the reservation / ticketing process letting people know this change to policy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ctjon said:

A lot of Crystal cruisers don't read this site and if they get on a cruise with several formal nights and find they aren't allowed in the dining room there will be a lot of very unhappy people and probably some bad press about this.    

Not only will they not be allowed in the dining room, they will be banned from all public spaces. My husband had a custom made navy blazer made for the 2022 WC, which, of course, we didn’t get to go on, so he thought what if he wore his blazer with navy dress pants. Not a look he would normally go for, but would they be so picky as to distinguish between a “suit” and matching pants and jacket color?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoveBora said:

Not only will they not be allowed in the dining room, they will be banned from all public spaces. My husband had a custom made navy blazer made for the 2022 WC, which, of course, we didn’t get to go on, so he thought what if he wore his blazer with navy dress pants. Not a look he would normally go for, but would they be so picky as to distinguish between a “suit” and matching pants and jacket color?

Several years ago a friend of ours was thrown out of the Cove at 6PM because he still had his (nice) Bermuda shorts on, had to take his drink with him.

23 minutes ago, NWX said:

Several years ago a friend of ours was thrown out of the Cove at 6PM because he still had his (nice) Bermuda shorts on, had to take his drink with him.

At least they let him take the drink...  😆

4 hours ago, ctjon said:

If they are really having a new dress code (both men and women) and are going to enforce it they better make sure people are aware of this change in policy.   A lot of Crystal cruisers don't read this site and if they get on a cruise with several formal nights and find they aren't allowed in the dining room there will be a lot of very unhappy people and probably some bad press about this.    Not sure what the communications mechanism should be but it should be clear and early in the reservation / ticketing process letting people know this change to policy.

This is why they will be flexible on the early cruises.

The communications vehicle was supposed to be the distribution of luggage tags with some type of booklet which would have provided more information about the attire but at this stage we either are not going to get it or we will but very shortly before the cruise.  

WIth that said for those who hadn't visited the Crystal website the TA's could call for them and that includes getting clarification or they could call Crystal.

In short, they will be flexible and they will also observe the first several sailings to see how it goes.

With that said, since I was provided with the information by them I went ahead and posted it here and on one other site.  

Keith 

• Haha 1

On Silversea I was sent away from the main dining room TWICE, first time it was an informal night, I had had a nice shirt but no jacket wich was mandatory

The second time I slipped in with a group of people, I had a shirt AND jacket but no tie (formal night)

they brought me a brown tie (with my blue jacket very nice??)

I have taken 50+ cruise (4 on Crystal) but I have never had any problems with dress code

2 hours ago, NWX said:

I wish they had done that when we were on several years ago having a drink in the Cove after 6PM when a group of people were dressed up in their “finest” outback wear. 

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

Are women here finding the effective dress code for them has also changed as it seems to have for men.

I don’t wear gowns or any kind of glitz anymore. I wear nice black pants with various dressy tops. That’s not going to change. And I don’t wear heels anymore, just dressy, comfy black flats. I hope I won’t be banned because I don’t dress to the nines. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes i agree.

This is a new line and past Crystal guests should not assume that the dress code or anything else will be the same as before.

We should all keep our eye on information that Crystal puts out to be sure of how they want to run things going forward.

Never assume.

This strikes me as a pretty insignificant hill for Crystal to take a hard stand on. As with most things, I suspect this will turn into "much ado about nothing."

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, heather feathers said:

My gentleman friend would like to know if he can wear a cape on formal night on his upcoming St Lawrence River cruise. I have seen it, and it is very tasteful. 🙃

Only if he has the mask and Batmobile to go with it.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, NWX said:

No surprise there at all - he wasn’t compliant with the dress code 

I suspect “thrown out” actually meant he was politely reminded of the dress code and asked to comply should he wish to stay in the Cove after 6pm. This is hardly issue where Security would be called to deal with the matter

Just now, Stickman1990 said:

No surprise there at all - he wasn’t compliant with the dress code 

I suspect “thrown out” actually meant he was politely reminded of the dress code and asked to comply should he wish to stay in the Cove after 6pm. This is hardly issue where Security would be called to deal with the matter

Might depend on how many drinks he had in the Cove before 6 pm.