One night before cruise

Hello all!

We are flying in and landing around 3:30pm the day before we cruise out of Southhampton next June (tons of time to plan). We have never been to London and were hoping to get a hotel there and maybe see a bit of the city in the evening or morning before traveling to the port. Is this unrealistic time wise? Should we just head straight to SH and spend the night there? We are flying from Los Angeles so will for sure be pretty jetlagged and turned around timewise. 

If you land at 3.30pm, you'll not be arriving at a central London hotel before 5pm, and that's at best.  Then time to shower and change.  On the plus, in June it'll be daylight until late evening, towards 10pm. 

Next morning, you'll need to allow between two and three hours from hotel to Southamton quayside, so you really only have a small window to see anything of London.

You'll have to decide if this is worth it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Island2Dweller said:

If you land at 3.30pm, you'll not be arriving at a central London hotel before 5pm, and that's at best.  Then time to shower and change.  On the plus, in June it'll be daylight until late evening, towards 10pm. 

Next morning, you'll need to allow between two and three hours from hotel to Southamton quayside, so you really only have a small window to see anything of London.

You'll have to decide if this is worth it. 

Yeah I am unsure at this point bc that is what I was thinking about travel time.

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

Sorry, but I would have allowed more pre or post cruise time in London. We've flown from LAX-LHR and it was a long flight...best of luck.

Yeah, we limited the time before our cruise so that we could tack on a few days at the end to go to France. With my spouse's work schedule it is hard. I realize London is a trip in itself for probably another time, but was hoping to at least experience a night there. The hotels in Southampton don't look too great either, but we may end up just going there for the night. Still debating. We have time.

• Like 1

You can do it.....if you hit the ground running....check in to your central London hotel, then go on a night bus tour of London......set your alarm for an early morning wake up to walk to the sites that you want to visit, or you can use internationalfriends.co.uk for your transfer to Southampton and tour Windsor or Stonehenge......it is by no means much time at all in London but you could get a little taste of it.....

52 minutes ago, fishman620 said:

You can do it.....if you hit the ground running....check in to your central London hotel, then go on a night bus tour of London......set your alarm for an early morning wake up to walk to the sites that you want to visit, or you can use internationalfriends.co.uk for your transfer to Southampton and tour Windsor or Stonehenge......it is by no means much time at all in London but you could get a little taste of it.....

I was thinking about that transfer to the port. I am sure the jetlag will be pretty bad, but we have business lie down seats on the overnight flight so hopefully can at least get a good 4-5 hours of sleep. For us arriving it will feel like 7am when we get there.