Edge WiFi

sgallojr

How is the WiFi on the Edge, more specifically, in the cabin?  I read that this ship has Starlink, so I would assume that it would be pretty good.  We just sailed on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas and the WiFi in the cabin was almost non-existent (you had to sit at the vanity to get anything worthwhile).  I know Rhapsody is an older ship, but why even sell the upgraded WiFi package if it is that unusable?  I'm hoping the Edge is better.  Thanks for any information!

Not been on Edge recently but was on Apex (Sister Ship) and internet using Starlink was acceptable.   To set expectations they have capped internet using Starlink on all ships.   

I was on Solstice when they went live and initially was able to get 200 Meg and on the next cruise they had capped it and the speeds are about 5 Meg down an 2.5 Meg up.   I was able to stream YouTubeTv and Netflix without any stuttering or pixilation.

For about 6 weeks I posted daily speeds in the Caribbean and Mexico, TransAtlantic and British Isle cruises.   There are also some speed tests from others on the Sydney to Vancouver from @Ken the cruiser and some from Panama Canal.

5 hours ago, sgallojr said:

How is the WiFi on the Edge, more specifically, in the cabin?  I read that this ship has Starlink, so I would assume that it would be pretty good.  We just sailed on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas and the WiFi in the cabin was almost non-existent (you had to sit at the vanity to get anything worthwhile).  I know Rhapsody is an older ship, but why even sell the upgraded WiFi package if it is that unusable?  I'm hoping the Edge is better.  Thanks for any information!

When we were on the Edge in Aug 2021 on a Caribbean B3B, prior to Starlink, we were in a sky suite. The only internet issue I had was when I was sitting on the balcony. If the sliding glass door was closed, there was no internet reception on the balcony. However, if I opened the door to allow a 4-6” opening, I could get service if I sat near the opening. However, the AC in the cabin turns off when the sliding glass door is open. So since my DW likes to play computer cabins in a cool cabin and I like to sit outside on the balcony, I’d have to periodically close the door for the AC to start back up. 😂

On the Eclipse this past spring on the transpacific cruise Jim referenced above, we had no issues with internet service most of the 33 days we were onboard, with the download speeds usually hanging around the 2 mbps range, both in the cabin and on the balcony (door closed) with our Premium internet package. But if you only had the Basic package, it was my understanding you couldn’t even log onto Cruise Critic most of the time. However, you could get email and do simple web surfing and visit some social media sites.