NYC Public Transit Fare Increase 8/20/23

NYC Public Transit fares will increase on August 20th. 

Introduction of City Peak Times Ticket on MTA Commuter railroads of $7 for travel within in NYC like to/From Penn/Grand Central to Jamacia for those taking public transit to JFK via AirTrain. 

Fare increase August 20th
$2.90 Subway/Local Bus
$7.00 Express Bus
$34 7-day MetroCard
$132 30-Day MetroCard 
10% LIRR/MNRR increases > 6% increase max $0.50
LIRR Off-Peak Discount reduced  from 27.5% to 26%
MNRR Off Peak Discount increased from 25% to 26%
New City Ticket Peak Times at $7 no change $5 off-peak

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I still have some dimes - which used to make the turnstiles work;  like back when a three cent stamp would mail a letter.

What was way cheaper was German phenning which was worth about a penny worked fine , same exact size as the old tokens, brought some back from Germany was stationed there in 1970 to early 1971.

4 minutes ago, George C said:

What was way cheaper was German phenning which was worth about a penny worked fine , same exact size as the old tokens, brought some back from Germany was stationed there in 1970 to early 1971.

Of course one of the best deals going was back in the early 1980’s when it was discovered that the Connecticut Turnpike tokens (at 17.5 cents) worked in the New York Subway turnstiles as well as the MTA tokens (at 75 cents).

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course one of the best deals going was back in the early 1980’s when it was discovered that the Connecticut Turnpike tokens (at 17.5 cents) worked in the New York Subway turnstiles as well as the MTA tokens (at 75 cents).

I wish I knew that back when I lived in Queens and worked in Manhattan! 😆

12 hours ago, Nitemare said:

$2.75 to $2.90 seems like a short term bandaid, $3 would make more sense and might buy an extra year before the next increase.

My thought was that there are a number of relatively minor fare policy changes that could be fixed with that additional dime (e.g., elimination of the single transfer limitation). At this fare level, a dime is fairly meaningless, and yet it could fix fare policy problem not heretofore addressed "because of cost."

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

My thought was that there are a number of relatively minor fare policy changes that could be fixed with that additional dime (e.g., elimination of the single transfer limitation). At this fare level, a dime is fairly meaningless, and yet it could fix fare policy problem not heretofore addressed "because of cost."

Heck making it flat $3 just makes it easier for me to do the math. 4 people, 7 trips times $2.90 come on I can multiply 3 a lot easier than 2.9 without taking off my shoes and socks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Heck making it flat $3 just makes it easier for me to do the math. 4 people, 7 trips times $2.90 come on I can multiply 3 a lot easier than 2.9 without taking off my shoes and socks. 

Totally agree.  Even with my extra toe on my right foot I just can't do that math

• Like 1