Shore excursions

mlkitt3

Has anyone been on a late Summer / early Autumn Classic Coastal  Voyage and done any tours on your own?
Have been researching and find it very hard to see anything at all.

We have no problem doing ones offered by ship it is matter of working out how many we can fit in within our budget.

Any must do or do not’s would appreciated.

You will generally not find possible excursions in the various ports. In ports with longer stops, the ship docks close to the city center and you have time to walk around the city.

But most of the 34 stops stops from Bergen to Kirkenes are very short (15 minutes) and no possibility for excursions. The only excursion I think is a must is the North Cape in Honningsvåg - should be booked in advance as it is often sold out - some excursions can be bought on board with a discount. Enjoy the cruise and the scenery and limit the number of excursions. Every day there is a lecture about the areas that are passed.

23 hours ago, hallasm said:

You will generally not find possible excursions in the various ports. In ports with longer stops, the ship docks close to the city center and you have time to walk around the city.

But most of the 34 stops stops from Bergen to Kirkenes are very short (15 minutes) and no possibility for excursions. The only excursion I think is a must is the North Cape in Honningsvåg - should be booked in advance as it is often sold out - some excursions can be bought on board with a discount. Enjoy the cruise and the scenery and limit the number of excursions. Every day there is a lecture about the areas that are passed.

Many thanks for your information.😊

On 7/21/2023 at 12:14 AM, hallasm said:

Hallasm, could you explain more about why you think the North Cape excursion is a must do? Is it the uniqueness of the location and the globe monument? Thank you, you have been a great source of information on Hurtigruten voyages.

17 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

…could you explain more about why you think the North Cape excursion is a must do?

For many travelers, visiting the North Cape is a bucket-list item. It's an opportunity to venture to one of the most remote and extreme points in Europe, providing a sense of adventure and accomplishment. 

The North Cape, located on the island of Magerøya in Norway, is the northernmost point of the European continent. Standing at the edge of the cliff, you can experience the feeling of being at the "top of Europe," with nothing but the Arctic Ocean stretching out in front of you.

The North Cape offers a stunning and unique Arctic landscape with dramatic cliffs and panoramic views of the surrounding sea and islands. The rugged beauty of the area is awe-inspiring and provides a sense of remoteness and tranquility.

At the North Cape, there is a visitor center called the North Cape Hall, which offers facilities like restaurants, cafes, and shops. It's a great place to take a break, enjoy a meal, and purchase souvenirs.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As a 'completist,' it was very important to me to hike to the monument and get a picture with one foot on each side of the Arctic Circle.

The Arctic Circle monument i a different monument - not sure if Hurtigruten hast excursions to that monument.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

The Arctic Circle monument i a different monument - not sure if Hurtigruten hast excursions to that monument.

Oops, you're right.  I was thinking about Grimsey Island off Iceland.  Brain fog...

And thanks for the clear explanation of why Nordkapp is a bucket list for many.  The day we went there it was 70 degrees F, but we were prepared with parkas and gloves just in case.

• Thanks 1