Questions about a longer cruise

Ineke

22 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Totally understand that one.

I have not taken long trips (yet), but several years ago I set up a separate stand alone checking account that I keep a minimal amount in (enough so the account is complimentary).

It has its own personal ATM card. When I travel, I put a couple thousand dollars in it (enough for lodging, food and return airline tickets) in case I have an emergency and need to access cash. If I were to set up auto pay for bills, it would be linked to that account. Should I need to transfer more money in, I could call my bank and have that happen.

My “real” ATM card (the one that gives access to our accounts) lives in our safe. 

Here is one issue with that procedure.  The account must be in a separate bank.  Long story best saved for a sea day afternoon but it was explained to me that if someone has a demand on your account at a bank they can “reach” across to any account in that bank with the same social security number.  That scared me straight 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Here is one issue with that procedure.  The account must be in a separate bank.  Long story best saved for a sea day afternoon but it was explained to me that if someone has a demand on your account at a bank they can “reach” across to any account in that bank with the same social security number.  That scared me straight 

Thank you. I need to look into this.