Viking vs. Princess for Baltic Cruise

jbinbi

I am asking the same question in the viking section (didn't find a place to ask general question on lines) but they are very pro viking of course, so wanted to post this here as well..........

We are trying to decide between Viking and Princess for a 2 week Baltic (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany) cruise. Have been on princess a few times, but never Viking. But know a bunch of people who have done Viking. I am less interested in the meals/room than the places we stop and the things we can see. Viking is about 33% more for the same cabin type when including drinks, excursions, etc. for Princess.

What potentially appeals to me is that the ship is smaller, possibly making it easier to get on and off (1k vs. 3k people means 3x less bus loads to fill and empty etc.). Less people to bump into on the boat. Historian on the ship. Excursions included. But maybe this is really all hype (e.g. the excursions included are the basic ones that cost only 50 pp), and it doesn't mean that much in reality, it just sounds good? For those who have gone on a Viking ocean cruise as well as used other lines, can you give me your impression if Viking is really worth it?

The above link mentioned by LACruise88 to Bubbaed's recent Viking/Princess review is great. His comparisons are pretty much spot on. We are Elite with Princess and have taken the Baltic Cruise, which was great. Also we've done several Viking Ocean cruises and most of the Viking River Cruises. 

The Viking ship will be pretty quite after 9:30. If you're active

I'd like to add a few comments;

Tours - Viking's included excursions tend to be very basic with a driving/walking tours of local sites or areas.  You'll pay extra for the more interest or active tours.  Also, prior Viking Ocean Cruisers get priority access to sign up for tour times. New Cruisers tour sign up is a few weeks prior to the cruise departure. Tour changes can be made on board depending on availability there's a can of getting a better tour time. Depending on the port we book an independent tour or go on our own. 

Airport Transfers - Viking only includes airport transfer if you book air with them, even it they are picking up Viking guests on your flight and the bus is not full. 

Enjoy the Baltic!

• Like 1

I have not done Viking. I just want to point out that their payment terms are often the worst in the industry. You often have to pay entirely for the trip a year in advance.

Though IMO - the smaller ship the better.

• Like 2

You also might want to post this question on the Baltic cruise forum also.  I can't remember which ships (I have 3 small  kids and all the fancy expensive ships are the same to me since we aren't allowed to sail on them) but some of the expensive fancy ships were able to dock in much better/more convenient locations than my ship (Norwegian Star).   In particular, research how often the Princess ship gets diverted in Stockholm (narrow channel into the city; on bad weather days ships are diverted to an hour away train ride, which is sad because it loses the gorgeous archipelago and time in Stockholm.  Princess is our favorite cruise line but we sailed the Star to the Baltics since they could dock directly in Stockholm and at the time the Princess ship (I think either the Regal or Royal) hadn't yet gotten clearance to dock directly in Stockholm, which was granted in a subsequent season).

As a general rule, people would recommend that you go for itinerary in the Baltics.  Do either of the cruises have better/longer port times?  Does Viking dock closer to the central city that would facilitate touring more easily?

Thanks to amazing local public transportation systems, we were able to easily DIY in the ports even with a 3 year old in tow (except St. Petersburg where we had a private tour for just our family), and were really happy with that choice.  If you'd prefer to DIY in the ports, I'm not sure Viking's included tours would be as valuable in the Baltics as in another destination where you'd need tours - like Iceland, where it's harder to arrange independent tours or transportation to tourist sites independently.

The Baltics are an amazing cruise and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by kitkat343