WiFi Question

Morgsmom

Sorry, first NCL.  On other cruise lines once you register a device the system knows it's IP address and you are "locked" (you can't switch on and off devices).  Is this the same for NCL?  Both DH and I will likely need to log in and do a wee bit of work during our cruise. The meager total minutes in current packge isn't going to cut it.   Do we need to purchase TWO unlimited plans or can we share ONE by toggling back and forth.  And, no, this is not comparable to trying to share a drink package - this is WiFi for which (as far as I am concerned) there is no incremental cost of goods to NCL.  It's just a money grab.

11 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Sorry, first NCL.  On other cruise lines once you register a device the system knows it's IP address and you are "locked" (you can't switch on and off devices).  Is this the same for NCL?  Both DH and I will likely need to log in and do a wee bit of work during our cruise. The meager total minutes in current packge isn't going to cut it.   Do we need to purchase TWO unlimited plans or can we share ONE by toggling back and forth.  And, no, this is not comparable to trying to share a drink package - this is WiFi for which (as far as I am concerned) there is no incremental cost of goods to NCL.  It's just a money grab.

Like Royal, you can share one package between multiple devices. Upgrade your Free at Sea minutes to one unlimited package. Do not pay the retail price for the package. If you need to VPN, then you need the premium/streaming package. 

We share one unlimited account between 6 devices when we cruise. 2 personal phones, 2 work phones, 1 iPad, and 1 laptop. 

When the next device needs to log on, it automatically logs off the existing device. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, BirdTravels said:

Like Royal, you can share one package between multiple devices. Upgrade your Free at Sea minutes to one unlimited package. Do not pay the retail price for the package. If you need to VPN, then you need the premium/streaming package. 

We share one unlimited account between 6 devices when we cruise. 2 personal phones, 2 work phones, 1 iPad, and 1 laptop. 

When the next device needs to log on, it automatically logs off the existing device. 

I require a VPN for security on my corporate network, but I only email and low level intranet.  No streaming.  Do I still need Premium wifi?

anyone have info on purchasing an EU sim card for a Samsung?  Is it inexpensive for when you are within range versus a $300 UPGRADE?  Must be the most profitable thing they sell on the ship.

Thanks

52 minutes ago, scanr said:

I require a VPN for security on my corporate network, but I only email and low level intranet.  No streaming.  Do I still need Premium wifi?

anyone have info on purchasing an EU sim card for a Samsung?  Is it inexpensive for when you are within range versus a $300 UPGRADE?  Must be the most profitable thing they sell on the ship.

Thanks

In my experience you need streaming for a VPN and a sim card would be cheaper but it won't work away from shore and if you have a tier 1 US carrier they either include EU or have inexpensive travel plans. 

1 hour ago, scanr said:

Thanks

14 hours ago, scanr said:

Thanks

EU SIM cards are pretty cheap and work well in port. I decided to skip on wifi because I can check in while in port and enjoy being disconnected while at sea. Does your phone have a dual sim option? I’ve swapped out my SIM card if I bought a physical sim but now also have a Esim so I can toggle back and forth between accounts.

at home I have a SIM cards for Canada and an Esim when I travel in the US. The cost of international plans in Canada is absurd at $15 a day.

In Germany it was 15 Euro for a month.