Which Ship for Alaska Southbound Glacier (cruise tour)

MudderBear

For all you experienced Alaska cruisers.  I did the Majestic Princess last year.  Want to do it again in 2025 but can't decide between Coral or Sapphire.  Which would you do?  Also, just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I'm also consider HAL's Noordam.  I'm going to book either a Mini Suite on Princess or a Signature Suite on HAL.  Would appreciate thoughts.  I'm really interested in all of the music venues on the Noordam, although I want so much to go with Princess.

Also, It doesn't bother me the difference between the Denali Princess Hotel, vs. the McKinley Chalet (for Hal).  I've stayed at the Denali Princess and had dinner at the McKinely Chalet, so I've been on both properties.  I'd get the Tundra Excursion with HAL, vs The Natural History Tour with Princess.

Your thoughts?  Thanks!

I choose an Alaska cruise by the itinerary, not by the ship. Are the itineraries the same?

Either the Coral or the Sapphire are fine choices. I've never cruised HAL.

Also, are you aware that you can upgrade the NHT for the TWT on Princess?

I have a slight higher preference for Coral Princess but have sailed more on the Sapphire Princess. Either are great. I have done Alaska on both ships. If you are used to Grand class ships - you will feel more comfortable on Sapphire Princess.

I have cruised on the Oosterdam and that is it on HAL so I can't compare. And it wasn't in Alaska.

I do enjoy HAL, and they’re ships are allowed to enter Glacier Bay National Park, which is a plus, but their destination program pales in comparison to Princess’s. Sapphire vs. Coral is kind of a toss up for me, but I like the aft buffets a little more than the forward ones, and Skywalkers is great for scenic cruising. 

9 hours ago, Coral said:

I have a slight higher preference for Coral Princess but have sailed more on the Sapphire Princess. Either are great. I have done Alaska on both ships. If you are used to Grand class ships - you will feel more comfortable on Sapphire Princess.

I have ONLY cruised on the Oosterdam and that is it on HAL so I can't compare. And it wasn't in Alaska.

Sorry - just correcting myself. I can't compare my HAL experience in Alaska compared to Princess.

All of those ships share the same intinerary.  They all include Hubbard AND Glacier Bay.  I actually love Hubbard a little better than Glacier Bay, believe it or not.  

I didn't know I could upgrade the tour Tundra Tour on Princess thanks for that information.  In my heart, I know I have to do Princess.  For what it's worth,, were' scheduled on the new Sun Princess in 2024 in Europe.

18 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

All of those ships share the same intinerary.  They all include Hubbard AND Glacier Bay.  I actually love Hubbard a little better than Glacier Bay, believe it or not.  

I didn't know I could upgrade the tour Tundra Tour on Princess thanks for that information.  In my heart, I know I have to do Princess.  For what it's worth,, were' scheduled on the new Sun Princess in 2024 in Europe.

Hubbard can be good, if you get close. It has been a long time since I have gotten close. Hubbard is also often skipped due to ice or seen from 9 miles away. Thus - I like both on an itinerary and like Glacier Bay a little better because it is rarely missed.