NCL sent this letter about dry dock and changes on Joy

Sigyn

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I just did a search for Joy as I've heard folks say she's headed to Alaska soon. But, it's in two years. Spring/summer 2025. Are there sailings I'm not seeing for 2023 or 2024?

I thought someone said the Joy was in Alaska in 24, I guess not.  Still doesn't make a ton of sense to remove part of the OL shortly before deploying the ship to AK.

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

In Alaska, personally, I'd claim a thermal suite would be my most desired feature. I enjoy being an upside down turtle on the loungers.

Not everyone is able to get a TS pass...

1 minute ago, hallux said:

I thought someone said the Joy was in Alaska in 24, I guess not.  Still doesn't make a ton of sense to remove part of the OL shortly before deploying the ship to AK.

Not everyone is able to get a TS pass...

I just looked again because I constantly doubt myself. Alas, no dates for Joy in Alaska in 2024. I did see someone else post that as well. I believe they were mistaken. Oh well!

I know...thankfully we do. Though, we truly didn't need it on Joy down in the western Caribbean. The sundeck made up for not having a thermal suite. And I was quite content laying up there and soaking in the hot tubs. I feel for those that aren't able to enjoy the wonders of the thermal suite though! On a cold Bermuda run, it's wondrous! Plus, I enjoy my muscles feeling like jell-o after my routine. 

For whatever it's worth, and apparently I'm not the norm, but I just took an Alaskan cruise on the Celebrity Millennium earlier this month. I actually didn't go into the observation lounge except the first time, to see what my options were. I didn't find it an essential part of the viewing experience. 

I love a good thermal lounger, pool or no pool. I did some sort of cold room in the sauna area on the Prima but I forget what they called it. I wonder if that's the same as a snow room? 

My son, who will be 16 when we cruise on the Joy next March, will be bummed that there's no Galaxy Pavilion or Laser Tag. But mom being happy with a thermal spa is more important, right???

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its not the first time NCL has changed a public space into revenue-producing cabins. As a business decision, I do understand it. But I like how the letter says the changes are "part of our commitment to continuously offer extraordinary vacation experiences." Obviously the 'extraordinary vacation experiences' are those that people are willing to pay extra for.

We very much enjoyed the Observation Lounge on our Panama Canal cruise in 2019. We always talked about going back on the Joy and it was primarily for that reason. Now the area will be much smaller, combined with the more people on board.

I'm attaching a pic of the deck plan before and after.

joy.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sigyn said:

How does that work? You book a cabana and then you don't need a Vibe pass? 

Correct, the cabanas come with two Vibe passes.   Once they start selling the cabanas, I will switch out some of passes (we have 13 reserved) for a few cabanas for our group.   We reserved the Vibe passes at $229 each and now they are $249 each so I would think they will also raise the cabana prices.  Right now we have a cabana reserved for our February sailing on the Encore and the cabana cost is $599.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

I love a good thermal lounger, pool or no pool.

That's my take, too. I would prefer to have a pool, too, don't get me wrong. But for me, the Thermal Suite is about other things, like having a relatively quiet area to relax in. I love those heated loungers, I love the multiple saunas, the hot tub, the infused water and tea, and (at least on the Gem and Epic), the beautiful views.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

They obviously figured out that the pavilion and tag not making it.  OL, yes nice, but little revenue.

well, there's revenue and there is indirect revenue.

guest satisfaction leads to a guest's intent to return (sail again) and that is most definitely revenue-producing. while some never visit the space at all, the observation lounge is rated highly by many guests. my own opinion is that the OL generates strong indirect revenue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edspec said:

The thermal suite is not coming out of the Observation Lounge. Cabins will take the extra space so those of you wanting to use the spa and Vibe will have more people to contend with. None of us are winning.

I realize that. The addition of the thermal suite and larger Vibe will give the people more space to be in. They did not add so many cabins that it should affect crowding. When laser tag isn't being used it is wasted space that no one is using.  Every one complained that laser tag was a waste of space. They get rid of it and people still are not happy. Every one complained it was hard to get Vibe passes. so they are making it bigger. 

As far as the Observation lounge goes, well that is lousy for people who enjoy it, but more cabins means more paying customers which may help keep fares down.

NCL can not make every one happy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Correct, the cabanas come with two Vibe passes.   Once they start selling the cabanas, I will switch out some of passes (we have 13 reserved) for a few cabanas for our group.   We reserved the Vibe passes at $229 each and now they are $249 each so I would think they will also raise the cabana prices.  Right now we have a cabana reserved for our February sailing on the Encore and the cabana cost is $599.  

Thanks! Is the cabana for one day or the whole cruise?