NCL sent this letter about dry dock and changes on Joy

Sigyn

I received this letter ten minutes ago regarding the upcoming dry dock and changes coming to the Norwegian Joy. I also attached the PDF they sent me. 

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,
Thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

We have exciting news to share about your upcoming voyage on Norwegian Joy. We ask Travel Partners to share this information with impacted guests.

As part of our commitment to continuously offer extraordinary vacation experiences for our guests around the world, and to uphold a consistent world-class product across our fleet, Norwegian Joy will be undergoing a series of enhancements in early 2024, including an all-new Mandara Spa Thermal Suite for the ultimate relaxation retreat.

During your voyage, you will now have access to an elevated onboard spa experience with the brand-new Thermal Suite - an exclusive, adults-only complex dedicated to relaxation and rejuvenation. The new spa oasis will include reinvigorating experiences such as a sauna, ice room and aromatic steam room; three times as many of the popular hot tile loungers; new spa therapies; and a breathtaking entrance with commissioned sculptures. The debuting Thermal Suite will replace the Galaxy Pavilion, the ship's current virtual-reality complex.

The ever-popular, and nearly always sold-out, exclusive adults-only Vibe Beach Club will also be expanded onboard, taking over the existing Laser Tag arena on Deck 20. You'll enjoy more seating and additional private cabanas. As a reminder, you can pre-book your Vibe Beach Club pass or private cabana from you NCL account.

To read more about Norwegian Joy's redesign, please visit the NCL Newsroom.
We are excited to welcome you aboard in 2024 to experience a whole new level of Joy! As always, we are at your service.

Sincerely,
Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Joy Dry Dock Information.pdf

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

LOL. I'm more excited about the Thermal Spa, actually. Well, to be honest, I'm excited about going on ANY cruise. 🙂

Yeah, me too.  Much as we would like to give you "credit," my guess is that it was the idea of some bean counter in accounting who doesn't understand how folks enjoy a cruise.

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, me too.  Much as we would like to give you "credit," my guess is that it was the idea of some bean counter in accounting who doesn't understand how folks enjoy a cruise.

Yeah, when they talked about having more cabins this way (aka bums on seats), bean counters was my first thought! 💰💰

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

LOL. I'm more excited about the Thermal Spa, actually. Well, to be honest, I'm excited about going on ANY cruise. 🙂

I've seen no confirmation there will be a pool in the thermal suite. This would prevent me from booking the thermal suite. I won't gripe about it. I enjoy my Haven sundeck. Yes, it's on mine when I'm on Joy! 🙂

I'm excited, too, if I'm just on a cruise. And the shrinkage of the Observation Lounge won't impact me, but I can see how it will impact many Joy cruisers. And that stinks!

Thermal Suite plus expanded Vibe plus more cabins means more revenue for NCL. Makes financial sense they're doing it, given the rough financial times. 

3 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Still not thrilled about the "streamlining" of the OB so they can add additional cabins.

However, I do have a request in to switch out our Vibe passes for the new cabanas.   

How does that work? You book a cabana and then you don't need a Vibe pass? 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've seen no confirmation there will be a pool in the thermal suite. This would prevent me from booking the thermal suite. I won't gripe about it. I enjoy my Haven sundeck. Yes, it's on mine when I'm on Joy! 🙂

I'm excited, too, if I'm just on a cruise. And the shrinkage of the Observation Lounge won't impact me, but I can see how it will impact many Joy cruisers. And that stinks!

Thermal Suite plus expanded Vibe plus more cabins means more revenue for NCL. Makes financial sense they're doing it, given the rough financial times. 

I don't believe there's a pool since it's not mentioned. They wouldn't hesitate to mention a feature if it was available. 

I really liked the Joy when I sailed on her in June of 2019 but not at all happy about the smaller Observation Lounge.  That was such a great part of the ship and to make it smaller is just greedy.  Yes, I know it was originally smaller but that is not how the North American cruiser was introduced to the ship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, edspec said:

I really liked the Joy when I sailed on her in June of 2019 but not at all happy about the smaller Observation Lounge.  That was such a great part of the ship and to make it smaller is just greedy.  Yes, I know it was originally smaller but that is not how the North American cruiser was introduced to the ship.

I totally agree with these comments. The observation lounge being reduced in order for them to make more money with more cabins is disappointing. And the more cabins means more people and longer waits for things. The Joy already is bursting at the seams especially during times when families sail. And now there will be less activities for the kids in those families. What email address should one use to send an email of discontent to NCL? I know it won't change anything, but I think it's important to give feedback.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DMP609 said:

The observation lounge being reduced in order for them to make more money with more cabins is disappointing.

Even more confusing is that they're making this change right before sending the ship to Alaska, where the OL is probably the most desired feature!

• Like 3

I am excited to hear they are adding a thermal suite. We usually get thermal suite passes when we are doing a cold weather cruise. We got passes for our April Boston to Bermuda run, and really enjoyed it on the days going to and from Bermuda. 

Did not realize that Joy is going to Alaska. It does not make sense to make the Observation lounge smaller, but streamlining of the observation lounge does not bother me. If the new thermal suite has a lot of windows, It could be a good place to spend some time on an Alaska cruise. For the best views, better to bundle up and head outside.

• Like 1

The thermal suite is not coming out of the Observation Lounge. Cabins will take the extra space so those of you wanting to use the spa and Vibe will have more people to contend with. None of us are winning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sigyn said:

I don't believe there's a pool since it's not mentioned. They wouldn't hesitate to mention a feature if it was available. 

You're right. That's why I'm....flummoxed. I was going to say upset, but I'm not really upset. No pool. No thermal suite pass. No Joy for me on itineraries that call for a thermal suite, like Alaska or Canada/NE (not that I'd do that sailing anyway). I'll just stick to Bliss if I want to head up to Alaska.

10 hours ago, hallux said:

Even more confusing is that they're making this change right before sending the ship to Alaska, where the OL is probably the most desired feature!

I just did a search for Joy as I've heard folks say she's headed to Alaska soon. But, it's in two years. Spring/summer 2025. Are there sailings I'm not seeing for 2023 or 2024? 

In Alaska, personally, I'd claim a thermal suite would be my most desired feature. I enjoy being an upside down turtle on the loungers. 

10 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am excited to hear they are adding a thermal suite. We usually get thermal suite passes when we are doing a cold weather cruise. We got passes for our April Boston to Bermuda run, and really enjoyed it on the days going to and from Bermuda. 

Same here! Except it seems as if no pool will be installed. That's a huge part of the thermal suite experience for me. My routine is lay on a lounger until I'm nasty sweating, take a cold shower, head to the pool, cold shower, sauna, lounger and repeat. I've never been in a thermal suite with a snow room, so it may replace the cold shower.

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What if being warm and having the same views is what a passenger wants?

That's why there is an Observation Lounge. It's not going away. I'm betting it's different in Alaska than my Joy sailing in the western Caribbean, but those sides of the Observation Lounge were not used by many folks. In Alaska are the wings used? If you don't like the new "streamlined" Observation Lounge....

book an Alaska cruise on Bliss which (currently) has the full Observation Lounge.

• Like 1