I know I'm an idiot....

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think you know from our past interaction we mostly just sail around the Caribbean frugally (or what now passes for frugal with current prices on Wonder at least) and never have a bad cruise. So when I say Alaska is worth spending extra time/money on, it means something.

I've been but dh hasn't.  I feel it's best to wait until we have financial leeway to go.  😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I've been but dh hasn't.  I feel it's best to wait until we have financial leeway to go.  😊

Yes, worst thing is to be under financial constraints for any trip, more so for Alaska where there are so many unique things to do/see. I am already expecting that we will spend a lot more than we think now. The wife has already stated to allocate at least $500 for crab legs.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ngrund said:

The wife has already stated to allocate at least $500 for crab legs.

That might be the only thing we saved a bit on... food. My wife is picky and eats no seafood and we tend to eat in casual places anyway. I was in charge of finding land-based restaurants for dinner so we mostly ate at bar food type places with big menus so I could still get halibut or salmon or something while she had a burger or chicken fingers. I also had reindeer sausage several times (in an omelet, on a pizza, etc.) I tried to at least have seafood or something else fairly unique as much as I could.

15 hours ago, sadiwest said:

For now, Alaska is on hold (maybe 2025?) But dh and I will do a child free 9 night next year instead.  

Mine are all adults but a couple have returned to the nest so we too are doing a kid free 9 night next year while taking advantage of the built in dog care lol!