"Churchill's Britain": pre-excursion on BIE cruise

snookie1

I really enjoyed the Churchill war rooms. The audio guide is very good. Best part is you can go at your own pace. You can stop, look, and listen. If you’re on a tour, you move at the pace of the group. Before you go, look at the website for more info.  

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, dbtrb22!  We very much want to do the Churchill War Rooms, but the 500 pounds for the private tour you took is too pricy for us.  I looked at the official website, and saw that they offer a guided tour before the Rooms open to the public for 47.25 pounds.  That is more in line with our budget.  I am sure your experience was invaluable, though, and thank you for suggesting it.

I am beginning to feel more comfortable with the idea of navigating on the Tube, thanks to everyone's helpful comments!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, snookie1 said:

Oh my goodness, dbtrb22!  We very much want to do the Churchill War Rooms, but the 500 pounds for the private tour you took is too pricy for us.  I looked at the official website, and saw that they offer a guided tour before the Rooms open to the public for 47.25 pounds.  That is more in line with our budget.  I am sure your experience was invaluable, though, and thank you for suggesting it.

I am beginning to feel more comfortable with the idea of navigating on the Tube, thanks to everyone's helpful comments!

Remember that stops on the tube may be only a few streets apart, check actual distances on a street map. Walking may be easier in central London. Also some stations have several tunnels to exit. Check the signs above for which is the right one for the street or attraction you want. 

Main thing is that worst case scenario is you have to get off and go the other way for a bit. Also you won't be alone in being bewildered. There are maps everywhere and a schematic of the line you are on above the doors inside the trains. Follow the stations on it as you go through them, there will be signs on the walls. Look for the one prior the you know the next one is yours. Another tip is the lines are colour coded, look for the colour you want, each line goes both ways so you néed the right platform. Look for the line schematics which will show where you are and the next stops. Hide valuables and keep your hand and arm over your bag or wallet. We keep the payment card in a safe pocket to avoid having to fumble in bags 

It seems more daunting than it is, take your time and you will be fine. 

11 hours ago, snookie1 said:

The tubes are really easy and user friendly snookie, nothing to worry about at all. If confused, just ask another traveller, everyone will be willing to direct you.

London's a great and easy city to traverse. The sort of areas you'll be visiting are not dangerous at all but as with any popular touristy location, make sure the fastenings on your bags are closed and be aware. Pickpockets worldwide go for easy pickings.

The area around the War rooms is wonderful, St James's particularly so. I'd do a DIY and then you have time to wander as you like. I hope you have a fabulous trip

On 7/31/2023 at 8:48 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

We also went to Bletchley Park on our last trip. Very easy to to get to. Train station is a block away. Great day trip. Amazing exhibition. They give a free guided tour a few times a day.

Sixtry to One .  I am currently reading an historical fiction THE ROSE CODE by Kate Quinn.  Admittedly I never new about Bletchley Park before the book so I loved these pictures!  I wish we had longer in London, it would be fun to see it.  When we do British Isle next Spring we are doing Gin and Garden extension in Oxford.

Edited by deec

3 hours ago, deec said:

Sixtry to One .  I am currently reading an historical fiction THE ROSE CODE by Kate Quinn.  Admittedly I never new about Bletchley Park before the book so I loved these pictures!  I wish we had longer in London, it would be fun to see it.  When we do British Isle next Spring we are doing Gin and Garden extension in Oxford.

Bletchley isn't in London, to travel by train to Bletchley from London (station is within walking distance) you need west coast mainline to Milton Keynes from Euston Station. Euston is pronounced as in Houston, Texas without the H. 

There is a line opening at some point from Oxford. It will be via Bicester (pronounced Bister) but start date is unconfirmed. 

The site at Bletchley Hall is in two parts run by different people, the main building and the huts. The Bombe huts and the reconstruction of Colossus are must see parts. 

Edited by KBs mum