"Churchill's Britain": pre-excursion on BIE cruise

snookie1

Husband and I are booked on the May 1, 2024 British Isles Explorer cruise.  We are considering adding the 5-night pre-extension "Churchill's Britain".  It is quite pricey, so we would love to hear if anyone has done that extension, what they thought of it.  We can do the War Rooms as an excursion out of Dover, so if the extension is only so-so, we would still be able to do that.  We would like to spend some time in London, but are a bit hesitant about getting about on our own.  Can anyone advise on the use of the Tube -- how difficult is it?  Any advice on must-sees in the city?  We could always take the 2-night extension in London if the mentioned one is not that great.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.🚢

We did a land tour in London on our own (not connected to any cruise). Make a list of what you want to see and make sure you get tickets, visit some places early in the day and decide how much you want to see. The tube is easy to use and the major highlights are easily accessible from tube stations. I am no expert, but we planned our trip using the tube, walking and trains to see most of the highlights.  I would recommend Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, if available, War rooms were fine (timed ticket). You can take a tour with a group if you want. Also  - there are some good walking tours - London Walks that are more specifically focused. I know nothing of the included or extra tours that Viking offers so I can not speak on those.

• Like 2

i just looked at the Churchill extension. If you have been to London before and have seen all the sites, then it would be a different experience. If you have not been to London before, I would suggest doing your own tour with what you want to see. Seems very expensive to me.

• Like 2

We were just in London a month ago and have been many times. It’s one of the easiest cities for tourists to navigate. We always use the tube. It takes you to the popular sites and is very easy to get around London.

For tours, we highly recommend London Walks for walking tours of London. They have a variety of tours available and all their guides are excellent. They meet up Tube stations and no pre-purchase is required. Some popular tours, like Westminster Abbey require advance reservations because they need to determine how many people will be there, but you pay when you arrive. Not all tours happen on all days so do check their website for what is available.

On our last trip we took four of their tours: Westminster Abbey, St Paul’s Cathedral, Greenwich, and the Victoria & Albert Museum. On previous trips we have taken their British Museum tour, the changing of the guard (they move you about St James Park so you see four different aspect of the change, concluding at the Horse Guard, where they time it so you have a front row view inside the courtyard),  as well as a day trip to Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. All were excellent and we would do any of them again.

We have visited Churchill’s War Room as well as the main Imperial War Museum. The IWF is on of the best museum’s I’ve every visited. The displays are phenomenal. Also if you are a WWII buff, the Fighter Command bunker in Uxbridge is a must see. Just take the tube to Uxbridge and take a short cab ride to the hidden bunker where the first integrated air defense system was created that allowed the UK to win the Battle of Britain It’s a wonderful museum.

IMG_6246.thumb.jpeg.9d3095e123826b53c132feb4e3c6ee94.jpeg

IMG_6120.thumb.jpeg.7da04770e04dd52332ca597bec452fb3.jpeg

IMG_6116.thumb.jpeg.0e7487d95771b70420bce014f2c72090.jpeg

IMG_6100.thumb.jpeg.4940786f81cf85d34c24f7b9ec741cbe.jpeg

IMG_6092.thumb.jpeg.2c61a7c88d4a2698710313d6efb9026b.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

If you are really interested in WWII history a day trip to Bletchley Park is well worth visiting.

We also went to Bletchley Park on our last trip. Very easy to to get to. Train station is a block away. Great day trip. Amazing exhibition. They give a free guided tour a few times a day. Don’t miss that.IMG_3108.thumb.jpeg.3acc8d4bf2593efbb23a832d06ec537a.jpeg

IMG_3114.thumb.jpeg.539eea0a63b9ca539f7a0f512e866bc1.jpeg

IMG_3171.thumb.jpeg.179ea5f8a8605c1e49ced33a2ce6e815.jpeg

IMG_3156.thumb.jpeg.90acfa8b0fd2ceb3bf31a000c354a62b.jpeg

IMG_3140.thumb.jpeg.fe80ecb5692ad35a8b108d0667d9525b.jpeg

IMG_3157.thumb.jpeg.923f64840531bbf5f8fd568b2133812f.jpeg

IMG_3166.thumb.jpeg.9ac00952914bb142182eab3c12f5d467.jpeg

IMG_3165.thumb.jpeg.af689565db58321123633bea6d37d5f0.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, snookie1 said:

We would like to spend some time in London, but are a bit hesitant about getting about on our own.

Easier than getting around in Boston, even if it isn't as compact. London is very tourist-friendly. Public transportation is better run. Cabs are plentiful.  Day tours are plentiful. There are hop-on-hop-off buses with multiple routes  -- all you have to do is get yourselves to the nearest pick up point.

Still, I understand your concerns. Sometimes it is just easier and less stressful to use a Viking package -- and if not a Viking package, then a land package from another company. You can still use Viking for your air ( it is called a deviation, there is a fee involved and you will lose your Viking transfers for the arrival). You will have to get yourself to the ship at the end of the  land package (take the Tube, if you are packing light, or arrange a car) but it is do-able.

And you are right about a two-night package not being very attractive -- you spend at least half of Day One dealing with your arrival and lack of sleep on the plane, Day 2 is the only full day that you have and you are at the ship by lunch time on Day 3.

4 hours ago, snookie1 said:

We can do the War Rooms as an excursion out of Dover,

But, do you really want to? Viking does not have any shorex into London from Dover; you would have to make your own arrangements. It is a two hours drive from Dover to the War Rooms in London, not allowing for traffic or a toilet stop -- four hours of just travel time. It is an hour train ride into London -- and that is just to St. Pancras station.

• Like 1

Have done London on our own several times. As many have said getting around on the tube (and the ferries) is very easy. As for what to visit, there are many great places. Suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves London to review what you want to see. 

By the way we will be on the Churchill pre-extension the week before you and are very much looking forward to it. Unfortunately I can’t give you a review yet…

• Like 1

Above post is Fighter Command, there is also a Bomber Command memorial. 

For those interested the film 'The Battle of Britain' is fairly accurate, the officer who had the 'incident with a burning Hurricane' did so and is not wearing makeup. 

The original 'Dunkirk' film is also a good summary of that time, also see 'Sink the Bismark' 'Battle of The River Plate' and 'the Suicide Mission' there are others about commando action in Europe. 

'Dam Busters' is not as accurate as it could be, but is worth watching if you don't mind the dog with the problematic name. 

Edited by KBs mum

Other film suggestions provided by the population of the pub, 'The Desert Rats' 'The Longest Day' 'The Cockleshell Heroes' 'We Dive at Dawn' 'A Bridge Too Far' 

Not based on any specific action 'The Sea Shall Not Have Them' 'Above Us the Waves' 'The Cruel Sea' 

Also wartime propaganda 'Went the Day Well' 'In Which We Serve' 'One of our Aircraft is Missing' not accurate as regards plot but interesting

There is a very good subtitled Polish film about the Battle of Britain, but we can't remember it's name

Edited by KBs mum

3 hours ago, May B said:

I wonder if in Dover you’re talking about the war rooms right in (under?) the cliffs of Dover. 

The WW2 tunnels under Dover Castle was also my assumption. With the number of closer attractions in Kent, I can't imagine going back to London from Dover for the day.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Easier than getting around in Boston, even if it isn't as compact. London is very tourist-friendly. Public transportation is better run. Cabs are plentiful.  Day tours are plentiful. There are hop-on-hop-off buses with multiple routes  -- all you have to do is get yourselves to the nearest pick up point.

Still, I understand your concerns. Sometimes it is just easier and less stressful to use a Viking package -- and if not a Viking package, then a land package from another company. You can still use Viking for your air ( it is called a deviation, there is a fee involved and you will lose your Viking transfers for the arrival). You will have to get yourself to the ship at the end of the  land package (take the Tube, if you are packing light, or arrange a car) but it is do-able.

And you are right about a two-night package not being very attractive -- you spend at least half of Day One dealing with your arrival and lack of sleep on the plane, Day 2 is the only full day that you have and you are at the ship by lunch time on Day 3.

But, do you really want to? Viking does not have any shorex into London from Dover; you would have to make your own arrangements. It is a two hours drive from Dover to the War Rooms in London, not allowing for traffic or a toilet stop -- four hours of just travel time. It is an hour train ride into London -- and that is just to St. Pancras station.

Apparently I made a mistake.  The excursion I was referring to is available at our stop in Greenwich, not Dover, and it includes the Imperial War Museum as well as Churchill's War Rooms.  Thank you for enlightening me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PRH said:

We did Britain at War from Dover.  Great tour and outstanding guide.  RAF museum and memorial.  Lunch in a pub.

IMG_3194.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

IMG_3204.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

This one sounds interesting.  Thank you for your recommendation!

Thanks to all who had suggestions about what to see in London.  I will definitely check out the London Walks, and I am planning to get the Rick Steves guide for London, so I am sure that will also have valuable suggestions.  We have decided, based on all your suggestions, to forgo the 5-night excursion "Churchill's Britain", and will spend a couple of days in London on our own pre-cruise instead.  I knew I could count on CC members to have first-hand experience suggestions.  Thank you!!

• Like 2

We just returned from London. Tube was super simple with credit cards with chip per person (tap and go). I do want to highly recommend the private tour of Churchill War Rooms. It was incredible to be in the cabinet room, map room, and Churchill's bedroom - all behind the glass - with incredible historians. We learned so much and saw so much. Slightly awkward with everyone with regular tickets watching us from the other side of the glass, but so, so worth it. An unforgettable experience.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/churchill-war-rooms-private-tours

2 hours ago, dbtrb22 said:

Tube was super simple with credit cards with chip per person (tap and go).

Welcome aboard! Excellent tip.

The vendor keeps track of your daily tab, so that you will see only one charge per day on your card (can't remember if it was per person or grand total of the two of us). It keeps track of zones and the maximum daily charge per person. Super convenient.

DH and I used cards with the same account number on them and there was no problem; we each tapped our own cards.

2 hours ago, dbtrb22 said:

I do want to highly recommend the private tour of Churchill War Rooms.

I'm adding this to my list of helpful links and sharing it on our roll call.

• Like 1