QE 2023 Newbie Questions!

BeachTunes

On 8/11/2023 at 5:45 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Welcome to cruising and to Cunard! A TA on QM2 is a wonderful experience (and purists here will tell you it's a "crossing," not a cruise). There will be plenty to do, both during the day and in the evening. Cunard attracts many solos, so you won't feel like you're the only one traveling alone. 

Large tables are usually 6 or 8. I think 10 is too large, and conversations get fragmented. My travel agent usually requests 6, but I've been put at an 8 anyway, so ask for either 6 or 8 and Cunard will take it as an indication that you want to sit with others. On two of my last four voyages on Cunard, I've been at tables where we were all single and probably within a 10-year age range. On the other two, the table was a mix of couples and solos. 

It's true that late seating allows you to eat more at tea, but I prefer early. I don't sleep well if I eat late, so that's best for me. And despite having early dining, I can still do justice to a cucumber sandwich and a scone. 

I usually travel solo and usually PG, the MD always asks (sometimes even phones before the first night dinner service) if I wish to join a mixed table - if in a Britannia balcony, I ask for a table for 6 - then once onboard toddle down to find the restaurant manager, make sure he/she knows I am solo and would appreciate joining a mixed table - have met some really interesting people this way and some are now long term "cruise" friends

• Like 1

10 hours ago, teabear said:

I usually travel solo and usually PG, the MD always asks (sometimes even phones before the first night dinner service) if I wish to join a mixed table - if in a Britannia balcony, I ask for a table for 6 - then once onboard toddle down to find the restaurant manager, make sure he/she knows I am solo and would appreciate joining a mixed table - have met some really interesting people this way and some are now long term "cruise" friends

My TA always requests a large (6 or 8 table), whether it's Britannia or PG so that's arranged in advance. In PG, I go to lunch on embarkation day and see where my table is. In Britannia, I walk through in the afternoon and see where the table is to make sure it's a 6 or8.