Egypt with Amawaterways -First time River Cruiser-Advice/Suggestions?

cloudninecat

as a dedicated solo on AMAWaterways. yes there are 2 seat tables, but some times they will be so close to another table as to essentially be part of the larger table,  Looking at pictures of the AMADahlia this is true on that ship as well and certainly will be for AMALilia when she starts next year.

Keep in mind a "larger table" might be 4 people or it might just be another 2 top table.

In my experience there are less 2 seat tables than larger ones, I sat at tables (alone) designed for 6 (but set for 4) people on AmaMagna in May because there weren't any 2 seat tables available. (usually wasnt a problem  as there were usually empty tables, but one day I did end up with guests because all the tables were full...not opposed I just dont seek them out).

Edited by CastleCritic

On 8/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, rrgator said:

“Think that is it for now.  Happy to answer any questions about visiting the area if you have any.

Fran”

Fran, or anyone else. We are going with Viking to Israel, Egypt, and Jordan in a couple weeks. My wife and sister in law are ok with clothes for them, but I’m confused about clothes for men in these countries. Especially shorts. If the internet is to be believed (😜), it appears that shorts are never appropriate in Egypt or Jordan, but ok in Israel. If you have an opinion, I would love to hear it. We are expecting very hot weather during our trip and not being able to wear shorts is concerning due to the expected weather. Thanks. 

Wear the shorts... The only time my DH had long pants on was at dinner. 

Fran

On 8/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, rrgator said:

“Think that is it for now.  Happy to answer any questions about visiting the area if you have any.

Fran”

Fran, or anyone else. We are going with Viking to Israel, Egypt, and Jordan in a couple weeks. My wife and sister in law are ok with clothes for them, but I’m confused about clothes for men in these countries. Especially shorts. If the internet is to be believed (😜), it appears that shorts are never appropriate in Egypt or Jordan, but ok in Israel. If you have an opinion, I would love to hear it. We are expecting very hot weather during our trip and not being able to wear shorts is concerning due to the expected weather. Thanks. 

There are many countries that specifically talk about MEN not wearing shorts, as it is not customary for local men to wear shorts.  In most cases the countries and cultures have become accustomed to tourists wearing shorts and it is not a big deal.  

You may find places that shorts are not allowed for men or women, but in Egypt and the temples and main sites you are taken to, shorts are permissible. 

If you are not with a group tour, then men wearing shorts is just advertising that you are a tourist.

We are currently researching Cambodia and Vietnam, and same as Egypt, the online resources suggest that men don't wear shorts in these countries.

We also note that it is more often that American men are the ones wearing the shorts and not men from other countries.

Last year I did the Uniworld Egyptian cruise on the Sphinx. I have only traveled the rivers on Uniworld- so pleased with the rooms, service, etc see no reason to change- this was my 4th Uniworld and different as all was operated by the Egyptians.   

I travel alone and this trip did not waive the single supplement as Uniworld does on some European trips.  It was worth every cent!  There were only 33 of us and we were divided into 2 groups with a separate bus and Egyptologist each.  So, it was like a private tour!!!

From the pickup at the airport to the drop off- every day was beyond my expectations. I had spent 3 days in Egypt with a Crystal cruise in the past and just had to get back and see it in detail.

The service, food and large stateroom (pictured by someone in an earlier post) were equal or better than My ocean cruises on luxury brands.   

The Egyptologist was fascinating and being such a small group, we all were privileged!

President Sisi is doing a fantastic job keeping Egypt a safe destination for tourists.  security was highly visible.   

My recommendation would be if anyone wants to see the wonders of Egypt- do it soon.

While it is safe and while you are young enough and physically able to enjoy all the long days and many miles of walking among the treasures!!  

As for clothing - shorts were worn by most of us during the hot days, wide brim hats for all.  In Cairo when to the museums wore skirts or cotton/ linen dress. Definitely no place for heavy dark jeans.   Closed toe shoes preferred for comfort, safety.   Clean-up for cocktails and dinner. On Uniworld one night all of us were able to buy cheap costumes on board for "Egyptian Night" - loads of fun, music and dancing! 

At the Ritz-Carlton I dressed in my nice things- few Americans were there and lots of well-dressed Egyptians and guests.

17 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We are currently researching Cambodia and Vietnam, and same as Egypt, the online resources suggest that men don't wear shorts in these countries.

My husband wore shorts almost every day in Vietnam & Cambodia. It was cool in Hanoi (we went in early) so he did wear his jeans one day there.  He took his hat off when he entered a temple (no different than when entering a church in other countries) - and in many places we all had to remove our shoes.

The big thing for me was having to cover my shoulders when we entered a temple. And we pretty much entered a temple every day.  I took more sleeveless tops than anything with sleeves we we were facing 35-38C temperatures.  So it was a great thing that there were laundry facilities (free!!) on the boat.

You need to cover your shoulders, and your knees when entering a temple.  My pants were all capri length - so below my knees, but some women had to look for something to over their knees as their shorts were too short.  

Edited by franski

7 hours ago, franski said:

My husband wore shorts almost every day in Vietnam & Cambodia. It was cool in Hanoi (we went in early) so he did wear his jeans one day there.  He took his hat off when he entered a temple (no different than when entering a church in other countries) - and in many places we all had to remove our shoes.

The big thing for me was having to cover my shoulders when we entered a temple. And we pretty much entered a temple every day.  I took more sleeveless tops than anything with sleeves we we were facing 35-38C temperatures.  So it was a great thing that there were laundry facilities (free!!) on the boat.

You need to cover your shoulders, and your knees when entering a temple.  My pants were all capri length - so below my knees, but some women had to look for something to over their knees as their shorts were too short.  

Thanks... I have read so much about so many countries that when you get there it is not actually the way...

The shoulders and knees thing for churches is real and I have seen that many times.

Recently in Eastern Europe, one church in Budapest offered what they called "Paper Towel Wraps" for the women whose shoulders were uncovered.  This was a texture like paper towel but about 3.5 feet long by 18 inches wide and you draped it over your shoulders.  Many women on our tour had to do this to gain entry.

@cloudninecat Like you we are booked up with cruises to 2025 and we are looking to book this cruise with AMAWaterways in the Feb/March 2026 timeframe.

Have you given any thoughts on avoiding the Ramadan period which is scheduled from 18 Feb to 19 Mar 2026?  It may or may not have an impact on daily activities depending on your itinerary during this period.

Thank you @Host Jazzbeau for proving the link for Scenic's Egypt/Nile cruises as I'm also interested in options for this cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

@cloudninecat Like you we are booked up with cruises to 2025 and we are looking to book this cruise with AMAWaterways in the Feb/March 2026 timeframe.

Have you given any thoughts on avoiding the Ramadan period which is scheduled from 18 Feb to 19 Mar 2026?  It may or may not have an impact on daily activities depending on your itinerary during this period.

Thank you @Host Jazzbeau for proving the link for Scenic's Egypt/Nile cruises as I'm also interested in options for this cruise.

We're actually looking toward October of 2026 so I'm assuming that wouldn't be a factor. I had not thought about that though. Thanks for mentioning it. 

• Like 1

That was a major reason why I moved my very first AMA Nile date (before I actually paid for it), and I DID look into Ramadan.  It sounded like a 50/50 situation.  The muslims dont eat or drink sunup/sundown meaning all/most your guides/bus drivers,  attraction staff and servers at any restaurants that are open may be low energy or hangry. (plus things close early)  But apparently its a positive period otherwise and most of the people are in a good mood

Then the sun goes down and its a party.....

Edited by CastleCritic

2 hours ago, bdrcole said:

We did not consider Ramadan and our Ramadan started a few days into our cruise.

We did not experience any challenge with the crew on the ship as far as energy levels and there was an overall very good vibe on the ship.  The crew did appreciate us acknowledging Ramadan for sure.

Ramadan DID impact some things that we did.  We arrived at the museum in Cairo and it was closed early because of Ramadan, so we missed that completely.  This we were a bit shocked that the organizers did not catch.  This was an optional excursion that we paid for and we were refunded, but still, we did not get to the museum.

We also had a much later start on one evening excursion, again because of Ramadan.

I would say in general, you will find the crew and guides the same, but schedules may need to be adjusted.

I will probably get hit on for this comment, as it may not be the norm, but crew told us that they are very strict with sunrise to sunset for the first few days and then they start to become loose with the time as the days go on.

Our only impact was open close times for excursions.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 9:47 AM, CDNPolar said:

The tour company that hosted us for Uniworld in Egypt met us at the airport.  On the bus to our first night in the hotel, we were warned very strongly, NOT to eat or drink outside of the hotel or off the ship.  Only water provided in bottles by the hotel or ship and never food on the street.  Their claim was hygiene was not there at all and that western stomachs were very weak in comparison.

70 of us on the ship and the tour together and two of us got sick only.

Our friend on second last day on the ship had to have doctor come to the ship she was so bad, and me the very careful one, got sick on the final day in the hotel in Cairo the day of the Pyramids.  I was so bad had to have doctor come to the hotel.  We were flying home next day but doc assured me the meds he was giving me would put me in shape to fly and they did.

Typical anti-diarrhea medication we use in North America will not work for Egypt stomach bugs.  Immodium (Loperamide) did nothing.  Nothing at all.

Yes, be careful.

Once you see the state of the streets and the food available, you will likely decide not to indulge anyway.

Not the cleanest cities I have ever been to - in fact they are the dirtiest cities I have traveled to yet.

So what medicine did you use when you were ill, if not loperamide?  

Debbie in Delray

2 hours ago, supersecdd said:

So what medicine did you use when you were ill, if not loperamide?  

Debbie in Delray

Loperamide did NOTHING.  NOTHING at all.

I was prescribed Streptoquin, Ciprofloxacin, and Visceralgine by the Doctor at the hotel.

Loperamide with slow down your bowels, but won't kill anything, and is, in fact, contraindicated in bacterial GI infections without using antibiotics as well.  Of note, it's also dangerous in high doses due to risk of cardiac arrhythmias.

It looks like that last ingredient also prevents bowel "spasms" but with a different chemical receptor, and a much lower risk of cardiac issues.  I'm fairly certain it is not in use in the US.

I keep track of these things since I seem to pick up every GI bug within a 5 mile radius of me.  I've puked (and more) in more countries than I can count.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Totally agree with the plan to do a first river cruise to an exotic location, especially one that is much easier to do as a tour. Years ago our first one was on Viking to China. Our thinking was that if we didn’t like the cruise, China was a place where we would see things that were unique. We have since gone to Vietnam and Cambodia with Scenic and are scheduled for Egypt on AmaWaterways for December.
Now that we can travel for a longer periods of time, we will sometimes do a European river cruise after some sort of land journey. Our travel style is not one where we would fly all the way to Europe just to do an eight or 10 day cruise. While it is delightful to only unpack once there are so many more things to see when staying in towns and cities.