Alaska With Mobility Scooter?

Guindalf

Anyone tell me what excursions are scooter-friendly? We'll be in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, BC. We're sailing on the Discovery Princess.

My ability to walk with a cane is severely limited and as we're flying in from ATL, it's unlikely I can also bring my Rollator (although we may try). All of the wheelchair accessible tours are sold out or at least wait-listed, so we've reserved the non-accessible versions where possible.

Our last visit, in 2019, I was able to walk relatively short distances, so we made it onto a whale-watching tour in Icy Strait Point, the Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchecan and even a float plane tour in Juneau.

Does anyone have anything to add?

(Post duplicated in 'Disabled Cruising')

Whale watch tours can be pretty accessible. You will have to do transfers onto the bus and from the bus to the boat, but if you can take a couple of steps, that should be enough. 

I would call around and ask how they deal with it. 

I work at Pier 91 in Seattle, and there are a lot for passengers who rent a mobility scooter to take to Alaska.

If you rent a scooter, you can have it delivered to your stateroom, and use the complimentary wheelchair service to get thru check-in and on to the ship.    

12 hours ago, Hypsypopss said:

Whale watch tours can be pretty accessible. You will have to do transfers onto the bus and from the bus to the boat, but if you can take a couple of steps, that should be enough. 

I would call around and ask how they deal with it. 

This is our third cruise in Alaska, so we are whale-watched out (plus we did it in Cabo earlier this year)! Majestic creatures, but I think all the whale watching we'll do is from the ship. We do have an excursion to the Misty Fjords, so taking a boat there.

11 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I work at Pier 91 in Seattle, and there are a lot for passengers who rent a mobility scooter to take to Alaska.

If you rent a scooter, you can have it delivered to your stateroom, and use the complimentary wheelchair service to get thru check-in and on to the ship.    

I own my scooter, so no need for any of the above.

We have used a mobility scooter on our last two trips.  

In Skagway, the town is perfectly flat and works well.  You can also rent a car in town and drive into Emerald Lake in Canada, you would pass the Carcross Desert, Carcross and White Pass.

In Ketchikan, there is an accessible tour into Misty Fjords National Park, that tour is provided by Allen Marine.

In Juneau the city bus is accessible, and on the last trip my wife used the scooter and we got off at the closest stop to Mendenhall, which is a little over a mile away, she used the scooter, and I walked.

Victoria is a challenge, because you have a very short time in port usually, we have never gotten off.