Booking directly with AMA

californiagirl

We are about to book a cruise on the Mekong River with AMA.  I tried to book directly with AMA but was transferred to a travel agent.  Are they the booking arm of AMA?  I was less than pleased with the attitude of the agent.  Although I did a lot of research both here (thank you everyone!) and on other sites including YouTube we have only done ocean cruises, so I still had a few questions.  The man I spoke with was very condescending.  It really caught me off guard.  When I asked if the price quoted included taxes and fees he said, “well you still have to pay gratuities.”  The way he said it was very rude.  I already knew from my research that some river cruise lines include gratuities, but AMA does not, which is fine.  It’s not that he clarified what it covers but the way he did it.  All this explanation is to say that I will not be booking with that agency!  If that is the only option for booking directly then I’ll find a different travel agent that specializes in River cruising.

• Like 1

Not sure if CC will do anything about your post. You're not allowed to mention specific travel agents/agencies.

However, the one you mention is not affiliated directly with AmaWaterways, and is not "booking direct". From what it sounds like, if you don't have one, they will recommend one. The one you mention should be nothing more than that. The fact that they "transferred you" seems a bit curious though.

The travel agent I used was a local person recommended to my wife. She was about useless. She didn't do anything other than act as a middle man for making the actual reservation and collecting the money. This post reminded me that I should shop around for someone else to make our 2025 plans.

It would be nice if you could book direct.

I’ve never been sent to a travel agent when I’ve booked directly with them. 

well, the first time I put a date hold my Egypt trip I got transfered somewhere but both when I made and and when I moved it I worked directly with ama like I always do. 

did you call them or fill out a form on their site? 

Edited by CastleCritic

The first time I booked with AMA I sent in an enquiry which was answered by a travel agent who turned out to be great and ended up booking many more trips for us on AMA and other cruise lines (until she decided to retire after Covid killed her income).  Last month when I wanted to book my latest cruise with AMA I again sent in an enquiry – and got my answer from a travel agent in a different group who has also been terrific:  he gets back to me in hours no matter the time or day I sent an email to him, he seems to have a direct pipeline to AMA to get esoteric answers and also to get rules bent and extra discounts applied.  So this does seem to be AMA's way of operating, and in my case at least it has now worked great twice!

I still find this curious, so I dug up the invoice from my very first cruise which was booked by A travel Agent friend of my mother (now retired) and her name was on it along with the agency name, but since then my other...I guess it would be 8-9 including all the ones I lost to 2020-2021 are definitely straight with AMA.  Even the one where I got transferred is lacking anything that would lead me to believe it had an agent attached.  (actually I do see an agency number but the pattern is low and repeating which makes me believe its just theirs unlike the one on my 2019 reservation)

Ive never submitted a "lead" or question on their web page, I just call them on the phone.

Years ago, the same happened to me.  I was transferred to the above mentioned  company.  I got a good one, so maybe you just got one that was having a bad day.  Try the one that Jazzbeau mentioned.  She is very conscientious, haven't noticed any discounts, but she is very good at making sure all of our arrangements are taken care of.

I totally forgot about not mentioning travel agencies by name!!  It didn’t occur to me because I wasn’t recommending the agency.  Moderators please delete the agency name.  The edit window has closed for me so I can’t delete it myself.

So initially contact with AMA was via inquiry on the website.  I didn’t hear anything so I called the number on the official AMAWaterways website a few days later.  The woman asked my name, said I see you contacted us online and said please hold.  The next thing I knew I was speaking with the man I referenced earlier.  I may try calling again and state that I would like to book directly with AMA, not through a third party.